Cancun looks set for another record-breaking year in tourism
Cancun is on target to welcome more than five million international visitors by the end of 2016, according to new statistics released by the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). The Mexican coastal hotspot recorded a two per cent increase in visitors between January and May this year, compared to 2015, and the region is seeing the development of new attractions, restaurants and hotels to entice tourists.
The coastal region of Cancun in Mexico is on track to receive record-breaking visitor numbers once again this year, according to new data released by the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). Statistics reveal that tourist arrivals were up by two per cent between January and May this year, compared to the same period in 2015.
Last year, Cancun received more than five million international visitors, and tourism officials are expecting that number to be beaten by the end of 2016. Between January and May this year, 2,937,949 travellers visited Cancun to enjoy its fine beaches, warm sea, luxury hotels and fun activities.
The Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau says the addition of new hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions in the region are helping to attract visitors from all over the world. The Cancun region is Mexico’s leading tourist destination.
Jesus Almaguer, the CEO of the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau, stated :
“The destination continues to evolve year after year, always offering visitors fresh reasons to come back again and again. Cancun’s constant commitment to the expansion and diversification of its tourism offerings will lead the city into yet another record-breaking year in arrivals.”
During the first five months of 2016, the majority of visitors originated from the United States, with a record-breaking 1,057,999 arrivals during this period. Visitors from Great Britain exceeded 49,900, followed by Argentina with 29,575 arrivals. Brazil with 28,054 visitors, and Colombia with 21,540 tourists.
Outside of Cancun, other towns and villages are beginning to thrive including the small seaport town of Puerto Morelos, and the stunning islands of Holbox, Isla Mujeres and Contoy.
Located in Quintana Roo province on the Yucatan Peninsula on the easternmost point of Mexico, Cancun is a thriving tourist destination thanks to its array of tropical landscapes and vibrant culture. The famous Hotel Zone boast luxury hotel brands with beachfront properties, as well as an array of restaurants, bars, shops and nightclubs. The Hotel Zone’s newest attraction is the Cancun Wax Museum that opened in La Isla Shopping Village last year. The museum has more than a hundred wax characters from films, figures in the sports and music industry, and famous Mexicans, spread out across 23 rooms.
Every year, Cancun hosts a variety of festivals and events for locals and visitors. These include Oasis Jazz U festival at Grand Cancun Oasis in May, and the Cancun Food and Wine Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Whether looking for a relaxing retreat with your partner, or simply searching for some peace and intimacy by yourself, a...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...