Cancun looks set for another record-breaking year in tourism
Cancun is on target to welcome more than five million international visitors by the end of 2016, according to new statistics released by the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). The Mexican coastal hotspot recorded a two per cent increase in visitors between January and May this year, compared to 2015, and the region is seeing the development of new attractions, restaurants and hotels to entice tourists.
The coastal region of Cancun in Mexico is on track to receive record-breaking visitor numbers once again this year, according to new data released by the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). Statistics reveal that tourist arrivals were up by two per cent between January and May this year, compared to the same period in 2015.
Last year, Cancun received more than five million international visitors, and tourism officials are expecting that number to be beaten by the end of 2016. Between January and May this year, 2,937,949 travellers visited Cancun to enjoy its fine beaches, warm sea, luxury hotels and fun activities.
The Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau says the addition of new hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions in the region are helping to attract visitors from all over the world. The Cancun region is Mexico’s leading tourist destination.
Jesus Almaguer, the CEO of the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau, stated :
“The destination continues to evolve year after year, always offering visitors fresh reasons to come back again and again. Cancun’s constant commitment to the expansion and diversification of its tourism offerings will lead the city into yet another record-breaking year in arrivals.”
During the first five months of 2016, the majority of visitors originated from the United States, with a record-breaking 1,057,999 arrivals during this period. Visitors from Great Britain exceeded 49,900, followed by Argentina with 29,575 arrivals. Brazil with 28,054 visitors, and Colombia with 21,540 tourists.
Outside of Cancun, other towns and villages are beginning to thrive including the small seaport town of Puerto Morelos, and the stunning islands of Holbox, Isla Mujeres and Contoy.
Located in Quintana Roo province on the Yucatan Peninsula on the easternmost point of Mexico, Cancun is a thriving tourist destination thanks to its array of tropical landscapes and vibrant culture. The famous Hotel Zone boast luxury hotel brands with beachfront properties, as well as an array of restaurants, bars, shops and nightclubs. The Hotel Zone’s newest attraction is the Cancun Wax Museum that opened in La Isla Shopping Village last year. The museum has more than a hundred wax characters from films, figures in the sports and music industry, and famous Mexicans, spread out across 23 rooms.
Every year, Cancun hosts a variety of festivals and events for locals and visitors. These include Oasis Jazz U festival at Grand Cancun Oasis in May, and the Cancun Food and Wine Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...