Cancun looks set for another record-breaking year in tourism
Cancun is on target to welcome more than five million international visitors by the end of 2016, according to new statistics released by the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). The Mexican coastal hotspot recorded a two per cent increase in visitors between January and May this year, compared to 2015, and the region is seeing the development of new attractions, restaurants and hotels to entice tourists.
The coastal region of Cancun in Mexico is on track to receive record-breaking visitor numbers once again this year, according to new data released by the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). Statistics reveal that tourist arrivals were up by two per cent between January and May this year, compared to the same period in 2015.
Last year, Cancun received more than five million international visitors, and tourism officials are expecting that number to be beaten by the end of 2016. Between January and May this year, 2,937,949 travellers visited Cancun to enjoy its fine beaches, warm sea, luxury hotels and fun activities.
The Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau says the addition of new hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions in the region are helping to attract visitors from all over the world. The Cancun region is Mexico’s leading tourist destination.
Jesus Almaguer, the CEO of the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau, stated :
“The destination continues to evolve year after year, always offering visitors fresh reasons to come back again and again. Cancun’s constant commitment to the expansion and diversification of its tourism offerings will lead the city into yet another record-breaking year in arrivals.”
During the first five months of 2016, the majority of visitors originated from the United States, with a record-breaking 1,057,999 arrivals during this period. Visitors from Great Britain exceeded 49,900, followed by Argentina with 29,575 arrivals. Brazil with 28,054 visitors, and Colombia with 21,540 tourists.
Outside of Cancun, other towns and villages are beginning to thrive including the small seaport town of Puerto Morelos, and the stunning islands of Holbox, Isla Mujeres and Contoy.
Located in Quintana Roo province on the Yucatan Peninsula on the easternmost point of Mexico, Cancun is a thriving tourist destination thanks to its array of tropical landscapes and vibrant culture. The famous Hotel Zone boast luxury hotel brands with beachfront properties, as well as an array of restaurants, bars, shops and nightclubs. The Hotel Zone’s newest attraction is the Cancun Wax Museum that opened in La Isla Shopping Village last year. The museum has more than a hundred wax characters from films, figures in the sports and music industry, and famous Mexicans, spread out across 23 rooms.
Every year, Cancun hosts a variety of festivals and events for locals and visitors. These include Oasis Jazz U festival at Grand Cancun Oasis in May, and the Cancun Food and Wine Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
The perfect family holiday awaits you at Crown Paradise Club located on the panoramic Cancun beach hotel zone known for...