GMR Airports wins bid to construct brand new airport in Goa
GMR Airports has been given the green light to develop a brand new airport in Goa, after a competitive bidding process. The firm, which runs Delhi and Hyderabad airports, will build the Mopa Airport on a greenfield site in Goa in four phases, to help expand air capacity. When completed, it is expected to have capacity for 13 million passengers a year.
After a competitive bidding process, GMR Airports has been given the go-ahead to build a brand new airport in India’s popular coastal state of Goa. The company currently runs Delhi and Hyderabad airports, and has worked on projects in Turkey and the Philippines.
Mopa airport will be built on a greenfield site on the Mopa plateau in northern Goa and will cost GMR Airports INR30 billion (US$446 million) to construct under a 40-year concession. The airport will be built in four phases, with capacity for 4.4 million passengers in the first phase, which will grow to 13 million by the time the project is completed.
The decision to approve GMR Airports to develop the new facility comes more than 15 years after the Indian government initially approved plans for the airport. The company won the bid in a competition with Airports Authority of India, and a group including the Incheon airport group in South Korea.
The new facility will take pressure of the existing Dabolim Airport which handles up to 4.9 million passengers per year, but cannot expand due to the airport’s military use. Mopa Airport will expand air capacity, providing more routes to the popular coastal state of Goa.
Goa is India’s most popular holiday destination and every year, thousands of Indian and foreign travellers visit the western state to enjoy its beautiful palm-fringed white sand beaches, sapphire sea, and tropical spice plantations.
The coastline is dotted with picturesque fishing villages and the region has become a popular tourist destination over the past few decades. Once a Portuguese colony for almost 500 years, Goa has the crumbling ruins of what was once magnificent architecture, including 16th-century churches, historic cathedrals, and grand mansions.
Holidaymakers can relax on Chapora beach, swim in tranquil waters off the palm-fringed Agonda Beach, surf the rolling waves at Calangute, and play beach games on Cavelossim beach with its black rock and white sand. One of the best places to go scuba diving is St. Georges Island or Grand Island where divers and snorkelers can explore its colourful coral reefs and colourful marine species.
Some of Goa’s leading tourist attractions include the Dudh Sagar Waterfall, the Shree Manguesh temple, Dudhsagar Plantation, the Goa Science Centre and Naval Aviation Museum in the capital Panaji. Nature enthusiasts will love Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary, the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary in Chorao, and the Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary with leopards, elephants, jungle cats, and deer.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Goa Browse all
Enjoy the warm Goan hospitality in a hotel that offers a wide range of activities with something for everyone
- There is something to suit everyone's tastes with Indian, Chinese, Continental and traditional Goan cuisine to chose from
- Spoil yourself in the hotel Health Club and enjoy ultimate relaxation while enjoying one of the many treatments on offer
- Relax in an amazing location where you can choose between two beautiful beaches both within close proximity
Ideal for any type of guest looking for a memorable and relaxing Indian holiday on a tranquil beach
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with all the beauty massages at Maya Spa
- Keep up to date with all the latest news wherever you are within the hotel with complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Indulge in the many activities and facilities on offer including a casino, swimming pool and an activities centre with video games and a pool table
See, admire and soak up the majestic beauty of a historic side to Goa in fully-fledged luxury and splendour.
- Superb recreational options - from excellent leisure facilities, to gourmet restaurants and the Jiva Spa
- Set in 73 acres of sprawling gardens, the resort offers elegant rooms and cottages
- Perfect for exploring Goa - fantastically positioned in close proximity to the attractions of Candolim
Stay in a relaxing environment providing the perfect base for relaxation or adventure in tropical Goa
- All rooms come equipped with various modern touches such as satellite TV, IPod docking station,
- Make the most of the brilliant Sol Bar and Bistro situated within the resort serving international
- Sol De Goa has a fantastic location in the heart of North Goa close to the sandy Candolm Beach
Discover the Portuguese charm of Goa while you enjoy a relaxing 8-day stay at the Cidade de Goa hotel in India where bed...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...
Enjoy a holiday at the Leela Kempinski Hotel located along the Mobor Beach in Goa, India. It is a unique combination of...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover new and exciting ways to spend your free time when you holiday at the Club Mahindra Hotel in Goa. It is a...