Guests can lie under stars from their beds as new Soneva Jani Maldives debuts retractable roofs
Soneva's newest property in the Maldives will enable guests to lie under the stars in their beds with unique retractable roofs in the villas. Scheduled to open in November this year, the Soneva Jani resort sits on the island of Medhufaru and has 24 water villas and one island villa. The retractable roofs will be operated by pinion coupled-synchronized gear motors and will automatically close if it rains.
Watching the stars is one of the favourite past times for many, whether it’s on a beach, in the countryside, or up a mountain. Now, one resort in the Maldives is allowing its guests to stare up at the sky from the comfort of their beds.
Soneva Jani resort is scheduled to open officially in November this year, and will feature retractable roofs in the bedrooms of its villas so guests can lie under the stars at night. Using sustainable materials wherever possible, the roofs were constructed and designed to be strong and cope with the rainy season. Made from red river gum timber, the roofs rest on milled steel tracks and have rack and pinion coupled-synchronised gear motors. Built-in sensors means they will close automatically when it rains.
It is located on 150 acres on the island of Medhufaru in the Noonu Atoll. Sitting in a sheltered lagoon, the resort has been designed to respect and protect its surrounding environment, and the property feature many eco-friendly practices. Villas have been built over sandy floors of the lagoon to minimise any damage to coral reefs, and solar panels will be used to generate electricity. The swimming pools will have UV-filtered seawater, waste will be recycled, vegetables will be grown onsite in organic gardens, and waste water will be treated onsite.
Each of the hotel’s 24 water villas and one island villa will have private pools, and the water villas will open out into the lagoon, with some offering slides from the top deck into the sea. There is also an island villa, with another scheduled to open next year.
The idea behind the retractable roofs came when owners of Soneva, Sonu and Eva Shivdasani, discovered that guests at its former Soneva Gili resort were taking pillows onto the outdoor deck areas of their villas to sleep under the stars. The couple decided to fit retractable roofs into the master bedrooms of villas so guests could enjoy the experience from the comfort of their beds.
In addittion, facilities at Soneva Jani include restaurants with local produce, a lavish spa, an onsite scuba diving centre, an observatory, a children's den, an eco-centre, organic gardens and an outdoor cinema. While watching films outside, guests will be given Bluetooth earphones so the noise does not disturb surrounding wildlife.
Soneva was established in 1995 and it currently operates the Soneva Fushi in the Maldives and Soneva Kiri in Thailand, as well as the Soneva in Aqua yachting experience. The brand aims to combine luxury tourism with environmental responsibility. This is one of the ten worldwide luxury hotel openings to look forward in 2016.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- including return transfers by speed boat
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Take your pick from 7 exquisite restaurants and 6 lively bars
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...