Hanoi, Vietnam named as the world's best value travel destination by TripAdvisor
Vietnam's capital Hanoi has been named as the best value travel destination in the world by the leading travel company, TripAdvisor. An average three-night stay in the city costs approximately £375, compared to New York's average cost of £1,400. The average price of accommodation in Hanoi is just £177 for three nights, and it's a great place to use as base to explore famous Vietnamese attractions including Halong Bay.
The leading travel website TripAdvisor has revealed that the world's best value travel destination is Hanoi in Vietnam. The average cost of a three-night stay in the historic capital was just £377.
In a new report, Hanoi offers exceptional value for money, with accommodation for three nights averaging at £177. The average three-night city break was £740, and the most expensive destination was New York which doubled the average and costs around £1,400 for a short break.
Destinations in Asia were revealed as the most affordable in the TripAdvisor report, and four destinations in South East Asia were revealed in the top ten cheapest destinations. These included Hanoi in first place, Kuala Lumpur in fourth place, Bangkok in fifth place, and Bali taking seventh place. In the list of most expensive destinations, Tokyo took second place, Singapore sixth place, and Hong Kong seventh place.
Hayley Coleman, a spokesperson from TripAdvisor stated:
"Even when you add the cost of a flight to the Vietnamese capital, our research of booking rates on TripAdvisor still found that it is possible to budget for a full trip to Hanoi for little more than the average on-the-ground cost of staying in New York over the same dates."
Hanoi is a beautiful city located in northern Vietnam in South East Asia that is famous for its old architecture and historic charm. Due to government control until the 1990s, the city has not been a tourist attraction for that long, but over recent years, more travellers are discovering the vibrant city.
Occupied by the Chinese and the French over the centuries, Hanoi's architecture reflects this and ranges from riverside Chinese wooden huts, to grand European-style building such as the Hanoi Opera House. The city's Old Quarter is the best place to take a journey through time, with its narrow cobbled streets, bustling markets and the tranquil Hoan Kiem Lake where locals practice tai chi, jog or relax with picnics. Some of the top attractions in Hanoi include the National Museum of Vietnamese History, the ancient Temple of Literature, the Bach Ma Temple, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Complex, and the Fine Arts Musuem of Vietnam.
Travellers can use the city as a base to go on to explore other sights and attractions in Vietnam, including the UNSECO-listed World Heritage site of Halong Bay. Jagged limestone karsts and isles pierce through the sparkling emerald waters, and visitors can explore the bay by boat cruises, kayaking, guided walking tours along the surrounding hills, or they can explore the underwater delights with snorkelling or scuba diving activities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
An indepth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Get under the skin of Vietnam with an adventurous tour taking in the classic sights as well as getting off the beaten track
- Overnight train to Sapa - hike through the hills and meet remote communities
- Overnight cruise down the Mekong River on a converted rice barge with all modern amenities
- Spend the night in Halong Bay and see the sun rise over the remarkable karst landscape (includes meals)
Experience the best of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure through Indochina
- Expert local guides in each country
- Breakfast included daily and three dinners
- Spend the night on Halong Bay on a traditional Junk boat with meals included
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
An in-depth tour of Vietnam seeing everything that makes the country so marvellous from cruises on the Mekong Delta and...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...