Dominican Republic tourism grows with opening of Puerto Plata Amphitheatre
The Dominican Republic sheds light at another one of its beautiful locations with the opening of an impressive 4000-seat amphitheatre in Puerto Plata. Though Punta Cana remains the nation's number one tourist hub, Puerto Plata has grown in the past years and will continue to do so as the government invests in its development.
The dazzling coastal town of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic has been receiving more attention lately. The stunning 4000-seat seaside amphitheatre that now crowns this lovely city is proof of the country’s efforts to make Puerto Plata a tempting holiday destination for travellers.
The finished Puerto Plata Amphitheatre now stands within sight of Fortaleza San Felipe, a 16th century fortress built by the Spanish rulers to protect the city from pirates. This new and impressive work of architecture was under construction for more than two years and officially opened on 14th July at a ceremony attended by the Dominican Republic’s president, Danilo Medina and Francisco Javier García, the Minister of Tourism.
According to Dominican officials, this new facility will offer a varied range of performances including music, theatre, dance and cinema shows. The 22,200 square foot Amphitheatre comprises a 3,300 square foot stage and features enchanting vistas of the azure waters of the ocean beyond. This ambitious project went beyond this glorious construction with the renovation of Park of La Puntilla, a picturesque seaside park that straddles the oceanfront and faces Fortaleza San Felipe.
Javier Garcia insisted that this was another step towards taking tourism development further in the entire Dominican Republic. He said:
“This project and modern amphitheatre were designed to incorporate new elements into tourism in the north coast, and Dominican Republic in general. Distinct projects such as this help attract a wider range of tourists and enrich their experience while they are in country, encouraging return visits.”
Despite Punta Cana being well-placed as one of the most popular Caribbean destinations, Puerto Plata is rapidly growing as a tempting option for travellers. Best known for its sparkling beaches like the resort-lined, the coastal city is also home to beautiful historic centre with colonial-era constructions.
In 2015, when major cruise operator Carnival Corporation launched the $85 million Amber Cove cruise port in the city, Puerto Plata started rising as Dominican tourist hub. The cruise port brings an average of 5,000 weekly visitors to Puerto Plata and is expected to host 400,000 vacationers this year, according to Puerto Plata Tourism Cluster (CTDPP) officials. This institution also recorded an 11.5 per cent increase in tourist arrivals last year, a promising prospect that will hopefully keep growing in 2016.
The amphitheatre is only one of the projects that local government has invested on to promote Puerto Plata tourism and holidays to the Dominican Republic in general. Other programmes include the renovation of seaside malecon (boulevard), the restoration of historic buildings and the implementation of new safety surveillance systems and road improvements in downtown Puerto Plata. The city now accounts for 18 per cent of the Dominican Republic’s hotel inventory, only surpassed by Punta Cana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
From the allure of the beach to the excellence of premium all-inclusive service, this is the place to make your every holiday dream an unforgettable reality
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Family friendly services including an Explorer's Club for kids and a Core Zone for teens
- De-stress at the world-class spa and select from an indulging array of treatments
- Enjoy an array of activities including watersports, golf, horse riding, organised ball games, aerobic, dance and Spanish classes and more.
Live it up and Enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...