Tourism projects in Falmouth, Jamaica given 2018 completion target by Tourism Minister
Edmund Bartlett, the Minister of Tourism for Jamaica, has announced that 2018 will be the target date for the completion of a number of projects that will transform the town of Falmouth on the island. More than one billion dollars has been invested by the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) into the projects, which include the creation of creation of a new artisan village at the Hampden Wharf.
Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, has set 2018 as the target date for a number of projects that will improve the coastal town of Falmouth. The town is undergoing several new developments that will transform it into a leading destination in the Caribbean.
With more than one billion dollars invested into the projects by the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF), the Tourism Minster is keen to set a completion date to attract new visitors. Around $190 million has already been spent on projects that include the completed renovations of the Trelawny Parish Church, Falmouth Court House, Water Square, and Falmouth Post Office.
Projects that are under development include the creation of a new artisan village at Hampden Wharf. Located next to the Falmouth Cruise Ship Pier, the village will have more than 300 stalls that will sell local crafts and produce. Mr Bartlett stated that the new village will create a port experience for locals who will be part of the tourism development, rather than pushed outside it, and it will bring the tourists and locals together.
The waterfront 18th-century colonial-style Tharpe House will be restored and turned into a new museum. There are also plans to relocate the court house which is home to the administration offices of the parish council as well as the Mayor’s Parlour.
Mr Bartlett commented:
“We think that by 2018, with the marketing effort that we are going to be making along with the PAJ, we should be getting a higher volume of visitors coming through Falmouth. The belief that Jamaica is the finest destination in the world forces us to change, to continue to innovate and to continue to renew.”
A recent report by the travel group Expedia revealed that travel demand to Jamaica in 2015 increased by 20 per cent. The number of American travellers visiting the Caribbean island through Expedia increased by 25 per cent last year, and the number of visitors from the UK increased by 35 per cent.
Located on the north coast of Jamaica, Falmouth is a town steeped in history and culture. Once one of the richest towns in the Caribbean due to its thriving sugar industry in the 17th Century, it soon became known as the “Paris of the Indies” due to its cosmopolitan lifestyle, merchant shops, and working harbour. Today, Falmouth is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it is home to a beautiful collection of preserved Georgian architecture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....