Starwood becomes first U.S hotel group to operate a property in Cuba since 1959
The global hotel chain Starwood International has made history after becoming the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The Four Points by Sheraton Havana hotel is located in the vibrant capital and will operate in partnership with the Cuban state enterprise Gaviota, offering 186 guest rooms and suites, and luxury facilities including an outside pool.
Starwood International has become the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The global hotel chain is the first U.S hotel group to receive approval from the U.S Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, since the countries resumed diplomatic relations.
Four Points by Sheraton Hotel is located in Cuba’s vibrant capital, Havana, and will operate in partnership with Gaviota, a Cuban state enterprise. The hotel has 186 guest rooms and suites, and has taken over the former 'Hotel Quinta Avenida' in the Miramar district. Jorge Giannattasio, the Chief of Latin America Operations for Starwood, stated:
"This project is a great achievement and I consider that it is a big step forward not only for Starwood but also for the Cuban hotel industry."
The management contract was a result of the recent resumed relations between Cuba and the United States after five decades of hostilities, and it is the first bilateral agreement to be signed.
The hotel’s accommodation has modern amenities including wireless high speed Internet access, LCD flat screen TVs with satellite channels, minibars, coffee makers, air conditioning, and electronic safes. Guests can enjoy king-size or twin Four Points signature beds, bathrooms with a bathtub and a separate shower, and balconies with views of the city below or the swimming pool.
During their stay, holidaymakers will have access to luxury facilities including a spa, a modern fitness centre, an outside swimming pool, a beauty salon, and a selection of restaurants serving authentic Cuban cuisine, a cigar bar, a lobby bar with live entertainment, and a coffee shop with terrace that overlooks the pool and the Monte Barreto Ecological Park.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide operates more than 1,250 hotels and resorts across North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, under brands such as include Sheraton, St. Regis, Westin, Le Méridien and Four Points. The hotel group will operate a second hotel in Havana, as it takes over the state-owned Gran Caribe Inglaterra Hotel under the Luxury Collection brand.
Since Cuba and the United States resumed diplomatic relations on 17th December, 2014, the Caribbean island has recorded a significant increase in tourist arrivals. In 2015, more than 3.5 million foreign holidaymakers visited the country, with a 79 per cent increase in American travellers. By the end of this year, the island nation is expecting to record 3.7 million international arrivals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...