Starwood becomes first U.S hotel group to operate a property in Cuba since 1959
The global hotel chain Starwood International has made history after becoming the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The Four Points by Sheraton Havana hotel is located in the vibrant capital and will operate in partnership with the Cuban state enterprise Gaviota, offering 186 guest rooms and suites, and luxury facilities including an outside pool.
Starwood International has become the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The global hotel chain is the first U.S hotel group to receive approval from the U.S Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, since the countries resumed diplomatic relations.
Four Points by Sheraton Hotel is located in Cuba’s vibrant capital, Havana, and will operate in partnership with Gaviota, a Cuban state enterprise. The hotel has 186 guest rooms and suites, and has taken over the former 'Hotel Quinta Avenida' in the Miramar district. Jorge Giannattasio, the Chief of Latin America Operations for Starwood, stated:
"This project is a great achievement and I consider that it is a big step forward not only for Starwood but also for the Cuban hotel industry."
The management contract was a result of the recent resumed relations between Cuba and the United States after five decades of hostilities, and it is the first bilateral agreement to be signed.
The hotel’s accommodation has modern amenities including wireless high speed Internet access, LCD flat screen TVs with satellite channels, minibars, coffee makers, air conditioning, and electronic safes. Guests can enjoy king-size or twin Four Points signature beds, bathrooms with a bathtub and a separate shower, and balconies with views of the city below or the swimming pool.
During their stay, holidaymakers will have access to luxury facilities including a spa, a modern fitness centre, an outside swimming pool, a beauty salon, and a selection of restaurants serving authentic Cuban cuisine, a cigar bar, a lobby bar with live entertainment, and a coffee shop with terrace that overlooks the pool and the Monte Barreto Ecological Park.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide operates more than 1,250 hotels and resorts across North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, under brands such as include Sheraton, St. Regis, Westin, Le Méridien and Four Points. The hotel group will operate a second hotel in Havana, as it takes over the state-owned Gran Caribe Inglaterra Hotel under the Luxury Collection brand.
Since Cuba and the United States resumed diplomatic relations on 17th December, 2014, the Caribbean island has recorded a significant increase in tourist arrivals. In 2015, more than 3.5 million foreign holidaymakers visited the country, with a 79 per cent increase in American travellers. By the end of this year, the island nation is expecting to record 3.7 million international arrivals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...