Starwood becomes first U.S hotel group to operate a property in Cuba since 1959
The global hotel chain Starwood International has made history after becoming the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The Four Points by Sheraton Havana hotel is located in the vibrant capital and will operate in partnership with the Cuban state enterprise Gaviota, offering 186 guest rooms and suites, and luxury facilities including an outside pool.
Starwood International has become the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The global hotel chain is the first U.S hotel group to receive approval from the U.S Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, since the countries resumed diplomatic relations.
Four Points by Sheraton Hotel is located in Cuba’s vibrant capital, Havana, and will operate in partnership with Gaviota, a Cuban state enterprise. The hotel has 186 guest rooms and suites, and has taken over the former 'Hotel Quinta Avenida' in the Miramar district. Jorge Giannattasio, the Chief of Latin America Operations for Starwood, stated:
"This project is a great achievement and I consider that it is a big step forward not only for Starwood but also for the Cuban hotel industry."
The management contract was a result of the recent resumed relations between Cuba and the United States after five decades of hostilities, and it is the first bilateral agreement to be signed.
The hotel’s accommodation has modern amenities including wireless high speed Internet access, LCD flat screen TVs with satellite channels, minibars, coffee makers, air conditioning, and electronic safes. Guests can enjoy king-size or twin Four Points signature beds, bathrooms with a bathtub and a separate shower, and balconies with views of the city below or the swimming pool.
During their stay, holidaymakers will have access to luxury facilities including a spa, a modern fitness centre, an outside swimming pool, a beauty salon, and a selection of restaurants serving authentic Cuban cuisine, a cigar bar, a lobby bar with live entertainment, and a coffee shop with terrace that overlooks the pool and the Monte Barreto Ecological Park.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide operates more than 1,250 hotels and resorts across North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, under brands such as include Sheraton, St. Regis, Westin, Le Méridien and Four Points. The hotel group will operate a second hotel in Havana, as it takes over the state-owned Gran Caribe Inglaterra Hotel under the Luxury Collection brand.
Since Cuba and the United States resumed diplomatic relations on 17th December, 2014, the Caribbean island has recorded a significant increase in tourist arrivals. In 2015, more than 3.5 million foreign holidaymakers visited the country, with a 79 per cent increase in American travellers. By the end of this year, the island nation is expecting to record 3.7 million international arrivals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...