Starwood becomes first U.S hotel group to operate a property in Cuba since 1959
The global hotel chain Starwood International has made history after becoming the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The Four Points by Sheraton Havana hotel is located in the vibrant capital and will operate in partnership with the Cuban state enterprise Gaviota, offering 186 guest rooms and suites, and luxury facilities including an outside pool.
Starwood International has become the first company from the United States to manage a hotel in Cuba since 1959. The global hotel chain is the first U.S hotel group to receive approval from the U.S Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, since the countries resumed diplomatic relations.
Four Points by Sheraton Hotel is located in Cuba’s vibrant capital, Havana, and will operate in partnership with Gaviota, a Cuban state enterprise. The hotel has 186 guest rooms and suites, and has taken over the former 'Hotel Quinta Avenida' in the Miramar district. Jorge Giannattasio, the Chief of Latin America Operations for Starwood, stated:
"This project is a great achievement and I consider that it is a big step forward not only for Starwood but also for the Cuban hotel industry."
The management contract was a result of the recent resumed relations between Cuba and the United States after five decades of hostilities, and it is the first bilateral agreement to be signed.
The hotel’s accommodation has modern amenities including wireless high speed Internet access, LCD flat screen TVs with satellite channels, minibars, coffee makers, air conditioning, and electronic safes. Guests can enjoy king-size or twin Four Points signature beds, bathrooms with a bathtub and a separate shower, and balconies with views of the city below or the swimming pool.
During their stay, holidaymakers will have access to luxury facilities including a spa, a modern fitness centre, an outside swimming pool, a beauty salon, and a selection of restaurants serving authentic Cuban cuisine, a cigar bar, a lobby bar with live entertainment, and a coffee shop with terrace that overlooks the pool and the Monte Barreto Ecological Park.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide operates more than 1,250 hotels and resorts across North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, under brands such as include Sheraton, St. Regis, Westin, Le Méridien and Four Points. The hotel group will operate a second hotel in Havana, as it takes over the state-owned Gran Caribe Inglaterra Hotel under the Luxury Collection brand.
Since Cuba and the United States resumed diplomatic relations on 17th December, 2014, the Caribbean island has recorded a significant increase in tourist arrivals. In 2015, more than 3.5 million foreign holidaymakers visited the country, with a 79 per cent increase in American travellers. By the end of this year, the island nation is expecting to record 3.7 million international arrivals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...