Cancun to have Latin America's first ever pet-friendly beach
After being awarded with the prestigious Blue Flag distinction, one of Cancun's most pristine eco-friendly beaches is also about to become Latin America's first pet-friendly beach. El Mirador II was recently singled out as the newest Blue Flag member in Mexico and thus became the first in the country with the famous eco-friendly label to also welcome pets.
During the last Blue Flag awards season 2016-2017, one peculiar Mexican beach obtained the much sought-after Blue Flag distinction in recognition of its pristine estate and purity; thanks to strict eco-friendly procedures that seek to cause minimal impact on the environment.
The award-winning beach also happened to be Cancun´s only pet-friendly beach and instantly became Latin America´s first ever pet-friendly beach to also proudly boast the prestigious Blue Flag label. During the latest Blue Flag certification awards, El Mirador II won the seventh Blue Flag for Cancun and the ninth for Quintana Roo, the southern Mexican state in the Yucatan peninsula, which Cancun is also a part of.
Always striving to elevate Mexico to new heights in terms of its tourism appeal, the National System of Tourist Certification considers the awarding of Blue Flags to Mexican beaches a benchmark and an important tool for strengthening their plans to take Mexico to its maximum tourism potential.
Salvador Sanchez, sub-secretary of Quality and Regulation for Sectur, said of this latest achievement:
“With the addition of six new beaches, Mexico will have 26 beaches and a marina boasting the Blue Flag certification, that’s why we renovate our commitment to keep working coordinately…”
National Blue Flag Coordinator, Joaquin Diaz also highlighted Pronatura Mexico’s commitment to the preserving of natural spaces and species in the country through eco-awards like Blue Flag. He added:
“This organisation concludes that 26 beaches and a marina have the technical conditions to be bestowed this international certification for the 2016-2017 season.”
Starting 1st July 2016, the newly awarded six Mexican beaches will all be proudly showing off their well-earned Blue Flags, attracting waves of eco-concerned beach-goers and tourists seeking the most naturally pristine coastal landscapes.
For the case of El Mirador II in Cancun, all pet-loving and dog-owning beach-goers and holidaymakers will soon have a new Blue Flag-certified place to bring their beloved furry companions for a day of splashing fun.
All six beaches were evaluated by a national jury lead by the Ministry of Tourism, the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), the Ministry of Communications and Transport (SCT), the Navy Ministry (Semar) and the Health Ministry (SSA), as well as the National Water Commission (Conagua).
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
The perfect family holiday in Mexico with plenty of opportunities for fun activities
- Located on the north side of Cancun by Puerto Juarez just 20 minutes by car from the airport
- Enjoy the Mexican, European and American delicious cuisine combined with fabulous atmosphere
- Fun for the whole family with activities for all ages
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Up to two kids go free on selected dates
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancun's all-inclusive, adults-only...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...