Tourist Arrivals in Mauritius increase in first quarter of 2016
The idyllic island nation of Mauritius has recorded an increase of British holidaymakers in the first quarter of 2016. The country received a total of 327,836 international tourists, and an 8.5 per cent increase in British travellers. More than 1.2 million tourists are expected to visit in Mauritius in 2016 to soak up the sunshine and relax on its powder-soft beaches.
Tourism numbers are up in Mauritius, with a total of 327, 836 visitors arriving in the first quarter of 2016. The figures are up by 12.5 percent compared to the same period in 2015, and British travellers are driving up figures.
Statistics Mauritius revealed that the island nation recorded a surge in travellers in the first quarter of this year which has pushed up tourism revenue by a further 1.9 per cent. The statistics office said that its forecast for 2016 international arrivals has been increased from 1,230,000 tourists to 1,240,000 tourists.
From February 2016, tourist numbers for the UK increased by 8.5 per cent compared to the same period last year, and between January and February 2016, more than 16,000 travellers visited Mauritius.
Rhys Powell, the sales and marketing manager for MTPA, said the increase is good news for the country:
“Looking at the UK specifically the new airlift from Turkish Airlines has helped towards additional arrivals to Mauritius, as well as the Emirates sixth daily flight from London Heathrow to Dubai giving more flight options via this hub than ever before. It is important that the UK market doesn’t fall behind and we need to look at ways to entice customers in the quieter months".
A new Mauritius 365 campaign has been launched to entice travellers to visit the island all year round. A series of deals and offers on land and water activities have been created to encourage holidaymakers to visit Mauritius during its quieter months between May and September.
Situated in the Indian Ocean, the tropical island is famous for its white sand, palm-fringed beaches, sparkling blue warm ocean waters, array of luxury spas, and cornucopia of scuba diving sites, coral reefs, and colourful marine species. As well as relaxing on unspoilt beaches or swimming in clear lagoons, holidaymakers can visit the island’s popular attractions.
Nature-lovers can head to the Black River Gorges National Park for waterfalls, hiking trails, lush rainforests and encounters with native wildlife, while animal enthusiasts can visit the Crocodile and Giant Tortoise Park to learn about these huge creatures.
The capital city of Port Louis is located on the north-west coast of Mauritius, and is home to historic buildings and sites including the Forte Adelaide, the UNESCO-listed Aapravasi Ghat, and Place D’Armes, plus the bustling Caudan Waterfront with restaurants, cafes, and shops.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Live and breathe the real Mauritius for a week in an intimate boutique hotel set by clear turquoise waters and powdery-soft sands, with great facilities for everyone in the family.
- Features an excellent Children's Club offering great activities for the young ones
- Children stay free when sharing with parents
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
luxury resort ideal for both couples and families
- Click through for our special Honeymoon Offers
- Located on the Bel Ombre's beach the resort is offering own nature reserve to explore
- Guests can benefit from a daily free green fees, mini bar in each room, or the fabulous spa treatments including one free 45-minute spa treatment per person per stay
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Coin De Mire is a boutique hotel set on the north coast of Mauritius, an area of white beaches, clear turquoise waters...
Located on the sandy beach of the north-west coast of Mauritius, Les Cocotiers enjoys a close proximity to the island's...
When you're looking for the perfect holiday, it's nice to have some assurances. As well as being a three star plus...