New North-South link of Highway 2000 opens in Jamaica
The North-South link of Highway 2000 in Jamaica has opened, making it easier for holidaymakers to travel between the north and south coasts. Travelling times between Kingston and Ocho Rios will be 30 minutes shorter, and tourists staying in Ocho Rios will have more options for choosing which airport to land in because the travel time is now the same from Montego Bay and Kingston.
Holidaymakers will now find it easier to travel between the north and south sides of Jamaica, following the opening of the new North-South link of Highway 2000. The highway links Kingston and Ocho Rios, and reduces the travel time by 30 minutes.
The US$700m link will give travellers staying in popular Ocho Rios more options when it comes to choosing the airport they arrive at in Jamaica because the travel time from Kingston Norman Manley International Airport and Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport to Ocho Rios will now be the same.
Paul Pennicook, the Director of Tourism for Jamaica stated:
“The newly opened North-South Highway will open up significant development opportunities and make Kingston more accessible from our major tourist regions. Not only will these developments increase tourism, but will directly benefit the local people and generate new jobs, especially for Jamaica’s next generation of up and coming tourism professionals.”
Constructed by China Harbour Engineering Company, the North-South link of Highway 2000 is 66 kilometres long and has four to six lanes. The new addition to the motorway is likely to lead to new tourism developments, and the construction of three new hotels is in the pipeline, bringing 2,400 rooms to the Mammee Bay area.
Jamaica is one of the Caribbean’s leading tourist destinations and home to the likes of the late reggae legend Bob Marley and the Olympic-winning athlete Usain Bolt.
As well as white-sand beaches, swaying palm trees, and the turquoise sea, holidaymakers will find plenty to see and do across the island, and popular resorts include Ocho Rios on the north coast with the famous James Bond beach; the capital Kingston with its bustling markets and Lime Cay Beach; and Montego Bay on the north coast, a popular cruise ship port town with golf courses, beachfront hotels, and an amusement park.
Leading Jamaican tourist attractions include the Bob Marley Museum, Negril Lighthouse, the National Gallery of Jamaica, Walter Fletcher Beach, and Rose Hall Great House and Estate. Nature-lovers can head to Dunn’s River Falls, the Blue Mountains, Green Grotto Caves, Dolphin Cove, and the colourful Enchanted Gardens of Jamaica.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambiance's All Inclusive Resort & Spa is an adult's only resort offering 85 bright and spacious rooms. Each room...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...