New North-South link of Highway 2000 opens in Jamaica
The North-South link of Highway 2000 in Jamaica has opened, making it easier for holidaymakers to travel between the north and south coasts. Travelling times between Kingston and Ocho Rios will be 30 minutes shorter, and tourists staying in Ocho Rios will have more options for choosing which airport to land in because the travel time is now the same from Montego Bay and Kingston.
Holidaymakers will now find it easier to travel between the north and south sides of Jamaica, following the opening of the new North-South link of Highway 2000. The highway links Kingston and Ocho Rios, and reduces the travel time by 30 minutes.
The US$700m link will give travellers staying in popular Ocho Rios more options when it comes to choosing the airport they arrive at in Jamaica because the travel time from Kingston Norman Manley International Airport and Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport to Ocho Rios will now be the same.
Paul Pennicook, the Director of Tourism for Jamaica stated:
“The newly opened North-South Highway will open up significant development opportunities and make Kingston more accessible from our major tourist regions. Not only will these developments increase tourism, but will directly benefit the local people and generate new jobs, especially for Jamaica’s next generation of up and coming tourism professionals.”
Constructed by China Harbour Engineering Company, the North-South link of Highway 2000 is 66 kilometres long and has four to six lanes. The new addition to the motorway is likely to lead to new tourism developments, and the construction of three new hotels is in the pipeline, bringing 2,400 rooms to the Mammee Bay area.
Jamaica is one of the Caribbean’s leading tourist destinations and home to the likes of the late reggae legend Bob Marley and the Olympic-winning athlete Usain Bolt.
As well as white-sand beaches, swaying palm trees, and the turquoise sea, holidaymakers will find plenty to see and do across the island, and popular resorts include Ocho Rios on the north coast with the famous James Bond beach; the capital Kingston with its bustling markets and Lime Cay Beach; and Montego Bay on the north coast, a popular cruise ship port town with golf courses, beachfront hotels, and an amusement park.
Leading Jamaican tourist attractions include the Bob Marley Museum, Negril Lighthouse, the National Gallery of Jamaica, Walter Fletcher Beach, and Rose Hall Great House and Estate. Nature-lovers can head to Dunn’s River Falls, the Blue Mountains, Green Grotto Caves, Dolphin Cove, and the colourful Enchanted Gardens of Jamaica.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....