Discover Mexico City via bike thanks to launch of new Google Maps cycle routes
Google Maps has launched a new series of routes in Mexico City that allow cyclists to find the best direct way to reach their destination. The app can be used on mobile phones or desktop computers, and provides information about Mexico City's collection of cycle routes where other vehicles are not permitted, as well as dirt tracks and roads with no cycle lanes.
Travellers planning to cycle across Mexico City will benefit from a new service recently launched by Google Maps. Cyclists are no able to use Google Maps when planning their route across Mexico City, just like the similar service which already offers routes via car, walking and public transport.
The service provides details of the most direct routes between destinations for cyclists, and also includes roads that are inaccessible to other vehicles, and other roads suitable for bikes including dirt tracks and roads without cycle lanes. The app will make it much easier and safer for holidaymakers who are planning to explore Mexico City by bike.
The mapping project was piloted in February in Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo Leon state in northern Mexico, and involved 80 volunteers, cyclists, and bike clubs, including Rodadas MX and Bicitekas. Monterrey is home to the famous Mexican road racing cyclist Raul Alacala, and cycling is often the best and quickest way to discover the traffic-clogged cities.
Mexico City is the capital state of Mexico, and it is a vibrant hub with the famous Centro Historico that is home to the Aztec Templo Mayor and the Zocalo, the largest square in Latin America. Famous among travellers for its multiple experiences, tourists can head easily to other resorts as Chapultepec, one of the biggest urban parks in the world, and visit attractions including the city zoo, a historic castle museum, lakes, an amusement park, and several museums.
On Sundays, cyclists take over Mexico City, from professional riders to families enjoying a day out together, and many main roads in the centre are closed to non-bike traffic in the morning until lunchtime, making it easy to get around. ECOBICI is a bike sharing system that allows residents and tourists to take a bike from any ECOBICI rack in Mexico City and return it to the bike station closest to their end destination. Registered users can have unlimited 45-minute trips, and subscriptions range from one day to one year.
This is great way for holidaymakers to venture around the city at ease, while enjoying the health benefits of cycling and doing their bit for the environment. Established in February, 2014, ECOBICI now has 444 bike stations, more than 6,000 bikes and approximately 100,000 users.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...