Discover Mexico City via bike thanks to launch of new Google Maps cycle routes
Google Maps has launched a new series of routes in Mexico City that allow cyclists to find the best direct way to reach their destination. The app can be used on mobile phones or desktop computers, and provides information about Mexico City's collection of cycle routes where other vehicles are not permitted, as well as dirt tracks and roads with no cycle lanes.
Travellers planning to cycle across Mexico City will benefit from a new service recently launched by Google Maps. Cyclists are no able to use Google Maps when planning their route across Mexico City, just like the similar service which already offers routes via car, walking and public transport.
The service provides details of the most direct routes between destinations for cyclists, and also includes roads that are inaccessible to other vehicles, and other roads suitable for bikes including dirt tracks and roads without cycle lanes. The app will make it much easier and safer for holidaymakers who are planning to explore Mexico City by bike.
The mapping project was piloted in February in Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo Leon state in northern Mexico, and involved 80 volunteers, cyclists, and bike clubs, including Rodadas MX and Bicitekas. Monterrey is home to the famous Mexican road racing cyclist Raul Alacala, and cycling is often the best and quickest way to discover the traffic-clogged cities.
Mexico City is the capital state of Mexico, and it is a vibrant hub with the famous Centro Historico that is home to the Aztec Templo Mayor and the Zocalo, the largest square in Latin America. Famous among travellers for its multiple experiences, tourists can head easily to other resorts as Chapultepec, one of the biggest urban parks in the world, and visit attractions including the city zoo, a historic castle museum, lakes, an amusement park, and several museums.
On Sundays, cyclists take over Mexico City, from professional riders to families enjoying a day out together, and many main roads in the centre are closed to non-bike traffic in the morning until lunchtime, making it easy to get around. ECOBICI is a bike sharing system that allows residents and tourists to take a bike from any ECOBICI rack in Mexico City and return it to the bike station closest to their end destination. Registered users can have unlimited 45-minute trips, and subscriptions range from one day to one year.
This is great way for holidaymakers to venture around the city at ease, while enjoying the health benefits of cycling and doing their bit for the environment. Established in February, 2014, ECOBICI now has 444 bike stations, more than 6,000 bikes and approximately 100,000 users.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
A picturesque city on Mexico's Caribbean Sea coastline, Playa del Carmen is the perfect getaway for both families and...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...