Discover Mexico City via bike thanks to launch of new Google Maps cycle routes
Google Maps has launched a new series of routes in Mexico City that allow cyclists to find the best direct way to reach their destination. The app can be used on mobile phones or desktop computers, and provides information about Mexico City's collection of cycle routes where other vehicles are not permitted, as well as dirt tracks and roads with no cycle lanes.
Travellers planning to cycle across Mexico City will benefit from a new service recently launched by Google Maps. Cyclists are no able to use Google Maps when planning their route across Mexico City, just like the similar service which already offers routes via car, walking and public transport.
The service provides details of the most direct routes between destinations for cyclists, and also includes roads that are inaccessible to other vehicles, and other roads suitable for bikes including dirt tracks and roads without cycle lanes. The app will make it much easier and safer for holidaymakers who are planning to explore Mexico City by bike.
The mapping project was piloted in February in Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo Leon state in northern Mexico, and involved 80 volunteers, cyclists, and bike clubs, including Rodadas MX and Bicitekas. Monterrey is home to the famous Mexican road racing cyclist Raul Alacala, and cycling is often the best and quickest way to discover the traffic-clogged cities.
Mexico City is the capital state of Mexico, and it is a vibrant hub with the famous Centro Historico that is home to the Aztec Templo Mayor and the Zocalo, the largest square in Latin America. Famous among travellers for its multiple experiences, tourists can head easily to other resorts as Chapultepec, one of the biggest urban parks in the world, and visit attractions including the city zoo, a historic castle museum, lakes, an amusement park, and several museums.
On Sundays, cyclists take over Mexico City, from professional riders to families enjoying a day out together, and many main roads in the centre are closed to non-bike traffic in the morning until lunchtime, making it easy to get around. ECOBICI is a bike sharing system that allows residents and tourists to take a bike from any ECOBICI rack in Mexico City and return it to the bike station closest to their end destination. Registered users can have unlimited 45-minute trips, and subscriptions range from one day to one year.
This is great way for holidaymakers to venture around the city at ease, while enjoying the health benefits of cycling and doing their bit for the environment. Established in February, 2014, ECOBICI now has 444 bike stations, more than 6,000 bikes and approximately 100,000 users.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Panama Jack Resorts Gran Caribe Cancun is a welcoming resort offering a touch of luxury with amazing service guaranteed
- Enjoy a great time in the Swimming Pools which include an Activity Pool, A Family Pool, Two Splash Pools with Slides and A Hot Tub
- Enjoy genuine authentic Mexican hospitality at the resort sure to make your holiday even more special and one that you will never forget
- Camp Jack is packed with cool activities and adventures like water sports, beach games, arts and crafts, and nightly shows. Mini Golf and Waterpark, complete with a pirate ship and medieval castle, allows the whole family to share some fun in the sun.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...