Sri Lanka, Costa Rica and the Seychelles listed in National Geographic's list of sustainable destinations
National Geographic writer Costas Christ has listed nine of the best sustainable destinations where travellers can experience the feel-good factor. The list includes eco-friendly spots such as Sri Lanka, Costa, Rica, Norway, the Seychelles, Japan, Australia, Indonesia and the United States, and range from vibrant cities, to lush jungles and vast deserts.
Travelling without an element of guilt can be difficult, especially because different countries offer different options when it comes to sustainable tourism, and some nations are more advanced than others when it comes to implement environmental practices. Costas Christ, a writer from National Geographic, has highlighted nine of the best destinations in the world that have embraced sustainability, allowing travellers to experience the feel-good factor.
The list ranges from islands in the Indian Ocean to bustling cities, but they all have one thing in common: they want to do their bit to help the environment and conserve their surroundings.
Sri Lanka is becoming a popular eco-friendly travel destination thanks to its diverse lush landscapes, cultural heritage, and hotel groups who are keen to make a difference.
Jetwing Hotels is a family-owned hotel group that is committed to environmental practices, and while its properties might not look like typical eco-friendly hotels with their bold modern design, they feature several green elements such as solar panels, biomass boilers, and bottling plants that avoid the use of plastic bottles and are tucked away out of sight from the guests. Holidaymakers can stay at Jetwing’s solar-powered camp in the Yala National Park and look out for leopards, or stay in the newly-opened Jetwing Kaduruketha hotel in the mountains and enjoy guided tours from locals.
Costa Rica is famously known as one of the “greenest” countries in the world. The nation was providing eco-friendly accommodation long before it became a trend, and while many new developments are underway, the nation is keen to ensure that environmental practices are a priority. The Central American country boasts two members of National Geographic’s Unique Lodges of the World network: Pacuare Lodge, which is located in the 25,000 acre Talamanca rainforest and is accessible via a white-water raft, and Lapa Rios, an eco-lodge situated on the Osa Peninsula that is set in 980-acre nature reserve, close to fantastic surf breaks.
The Seychelles is home to white flour-soft beaches and turquoise lagoons, but there’s more to this collection of islands in the Indian Ocean, and the government is committed to protecting its natural beauty. Praslin Island has living remnants of the old-growth palm forests in the Vallée de Mai Nature Reserve. The reserve features the coco de mer palm tree which has the world’s largest nut and the trees can grow to over a hundred feet. Dr. Christopher Kaiser-Bunbury from Darmstadt Technical University, says that the nature reserve hosts one of the world’s last island palm forest ecosystems.
The full list compiled by National Geographic included other destinations as Røros in Norway, South Australia, Kumano KodÅ in Japan, Portland, Oregon in the U.S, Okavango Delta in Botswana and Mount Rinjani in Indonesia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...