Sri Lanka, Costa Rica and the Seychelles listed in National Geographic's list of sustainable destinations
National Geographic writer Costas Christ has listed nine of the best sustainable destinations where travellers can experience the feel-good factor. The list includes eco-friendly spots such as Sri Lanka, Costa, Rica, Norway, the Seychelles, Japan, Australia, Indonesia and the United States, and range from vibrant cities, to lush jungles and vast deserts.
Travelling without an element of guilt can be difficult, especially because different countries offer different options when it comes to sustainable tourism, and some nations are more advanced than others when it comes to implement environmental practices. Costas Christ, a writer from National Geographic, has highlighted nine of the best destinations in the world that have embraced sustainability, allowing travellers to experience the feel-good factor.
The list ranges from islands in the Indian Ocean to bustling cities, but they all have one thing in common: they want to do their bit to help the environment and conserve their surroundings.
Sri Lanka is becoming a popular eco-friendly travel destination thanks to its diverse lush landscapes, cultural heritage, and hotel groups who are keen to make a difference.
Jetwing Hotels is a family-owned hotel group that is committed to environmental practices, and while its properties might not look like typical eco-friendly hotels with their bold modern design, they feature several green elements such as solar panels, biomass boilers, and bottling plants that avoid the use of plastic bottles and are tucked away out of sight from the guests. Holidaymakers can stay at Jetwing’s solar-powered camp in the Yala National Park and look out for leopards, or stay in the newly-opened Jetwing Kaduruketha hotel in the mountains and enjoy guided tours from locals.
Costa Rica is famously known as one of the “greenest” countries in the world. The nation was providing eco-friendly accommodation long before it became a trend, and while many new developments are underway, the nation is keen to ensure that environmental practices are a priority. The Central American country boasts two members of National Geographic’s Unique Lodges of the World network: Pacuare Lodge, which is located in the 25,000 acre Talamanca rainforest and is accessible via a white-water raft, and Lapa Rios, an eco-lodge situated on the Osa Peninsula that is set in 980-acre nature reserve, close to fantastic surf breaks.
The Seychelles is home to white flour-soft beaches and turquoise lagoons, but there’s more to this collection of islands in the Indian Ocean, and the government is committed to protecting its natural beauty. Praslin Island has living remnants of the old-growth palm forests in the Vallée de Mai Nature Reserve. The reserve features the coco de mer palm tree which has the world’s largest nut and the trees can grow to over a hundred feet. Dr. Christopher Kaiser-Bunbury from Darmstadt Technical University, says that the nature reserve hosts one of the world’s last island palm forest ecosystems.
The full list compiled by National Geographic included other destinations as Røros in Norway, South Australia, Kumano KodÅ in Japan, Portland, Oregon in the U.S, Okavango Delta in Botswana and Mount Rinjani in Indonesia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay in a Preferred Club room, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Enjoy activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- Choose between 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Enjoy all-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service.
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
Overview Costa Ricans will all agree that the Caribbean side of the country has a culture of its own. Coconut in every...