Maldives has the world's first solar-powered resort
The Maldives now boasts the world's very first solar-powered resort. Located on the preserved island of Gasfinolhu, the new Club Med, The Finolhu Villas is 100 per cent solar-powered and has implemented several environmental practices throughout. The resort can accommodate 100 guests and 100 staff members on just 600 kilowatts and it combines solar power with batteries and generators.
The world’s very first solar-powered resort has opened on a picturesque island in the Maldives. Club Med Finolhu Villas resort is located on Gasfinolhu Island in the Maldives, and gives guests a guilt-free holiday experience where all of the power is generated through the use of solar panels.
Keeping in line with the resort’s beautiful location in the Kaafu Atoll, the solar panels have been arranged so they like they are part of the resort’s layout, covering the roofs of building and shading the jetty.
The resort has implemented a series of environmental practices such as a centralised system that uses chilled water for air-conditioning, and it aims to have a zero waste management system installed in the near future.
Finolhu Villas can accommodate 100 guests and 100 staff members on 600 Kilowatts, and its computers have been programmed to switch between direct solar power, battery power, or diesel generators if there is consistent rainy weather.
“The happiest moments are when I can see that the lights are still functioning after all the diesel generators have been switched off.”
Commented owner of Gasfinolhu Island, "Champa" Hussain Afeef. Mr Afeef also explained:
“We wanted to do something different. I believe renewable energy is not just the future for tourism, but for all other industries as well.”
The property has been built close to the edge of the reef to minimise sand movement in the lagoon, following the Maldives’ two annual monsoons. Guest rooms have been designed to use as little electricity as possible, and windows have been strategically placed to catch the sea breeze so air conditioning is not used. Yuji Yamazaki, the resort’s architect, explained:
"It is impossible to recreate nature, but was tried our best. When you have a beautiful and unique site like this, you want to just preserve it. Hopefully our new landscape will seamlessly blend with what was there before."
Afeef estimated that the resort will make back the US$8 million investment on the solar system within six to seven years, and without it more than US$1.5 million would be spent on fuel every year. Club Med Finolhu Villas has 22 rooms on the beach and 30 water bungalows, as well as facilities including a spa, gourmet restaurants, swimming pools, and a pristine beach with canopy beds, chairs, and showers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Let all concerns leave your mind while you spend 8 days of peace and relaxation at the Royal Island hotel in the...