Maldives has the world's first solar-powered resort
The Maldives now boasts the world's very first solar-powered resort. Located on the preserved island of Gasfinolhu, the new Club Med, The Finolhu Villas is 100 per cent solar-powered and has implemented several environmental practices throughout. The resort can accommodate 100 guests and 100 staff members on just 600 kilowatts and it combines solar power with batteries and generators.
The world’s very first solar-powered resort has opened on a picturesque island in the Maldives. Club Med Finolhu Villas resort is located on Gasfinolhu Island in the Maldives, and gives guests a guilt-free holiday experience where all of the power is generated through the use of solar panels.
Keeping in line with the resort’s beautiful location in the Kaafu Atoll, the solar panels have been arranged so they like they are part of the resort’s layout, covering the roofs of building and shading the jetty.
The resort has implemented a series of environmental practices such as a centralised system that uses chilled water for air-conditioning, and it aims to have a zero waste management system installed in the near future.
Finolhu Villas can accommodate 100 guests and 100 staff members on 600 Kilowatts, and its computers have been programmed to switch between direct solar power, battery power, or diesel generators if there is consistent rainy weather.
“The happiest moments are when I can see that the lights are still functioning after all the diesel generators have been switched off.”
Commented owner of Gasfinolhu Island, "Champa" Hussain Afeef. Mr Afeef also explained:
“We wanted to do something different. I believe renewable energy is not just the future for tourism, but for all other industries as well.”
The property has been built close to the edge of the reef to minimise sand movement in the lagoon, following the Maldives’ two annual monsoons. Guest rooms have been designed to use as little electricity as possible, and windows have been strategically placed to catch the sea breeze so air conditioning is not used. Yuji Yamazaki, the resort’s architect, explained:
"It is impossible to recreate nature, but was tried our best. When you have a beautiful and unique site like this, you want to just preserve it. Hopefully our new landscape will seamlessly blend with what was there before."
Afeef estimated that the resort will make back the US$8 million investment on the solar system within six to seven years, and without it more than US$1.5 million would be spent on fuel every year. Club Med Finolhu Villas has 22 rooms on the beach and 30 water bungalows, as well as facilities including a spa, gourmet restaurants, swimming pools, and a pristine beach with canopy beds, chairs, and showers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Benifit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters also featuring private sun decks
- The Main Restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western fare
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine effortless luxury with the stunning surrounding paradise in the Maldives
- Create lasting memories with a sunset cruise
- Discover the crystal clear waters and marine life through a wide range of water sports activities
- Relax and unwind in the well-appointed luxury villas
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...