Carnival Corp Approved to sail Cuban-Americans on cruises between U.S and Cuba
Carnival Corp has announced it will allow Cuban-born travellers to travel to Cuba from the United States on its ships. The large cruise operator will start the seven-day sailings on 1st May, 2016, and the Cuban government has granted permission for Cuban-Americans to arrive to the Caribbean island by sea. Passengers will travel on the Adonia vessel under the Fathom brand and they will visit Cuban destinations including Cienfuegos, Havana, and Santiago de Cuba.
Cuban-born Americans will now be able to travel to Cuba via sailings with the cruise operator Carnival Corp.
The seven-day journeys will start on 1st May, 2016 on board the 704-passenger Adonia vessel that operates under Carnival's Fathom brand, and they will stop at Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago de Cuba.
Last week, the Cuban government gave Carnival Corp. permission to operate sailings to Cuba for all passengers, including Cuban-born residents of America.
The cruise sailing will be the first to travel between the United States and Cuba for more than fifty years, and despite concerns and complaints from several U.S officials, permission was granted by the Cuba government after week-long talks with Carnival Corp. The ban on sea travel for Cuban-Americans was enforced to prevent anti-communist militants from travelling to Cuba to overthrow Fidel Castro’s government in 1961. This old law caused several problems for Carnival Corp’s new sailing as it discriminated against Cuban-Americans when it screened travellers on the company’s online booking form.
After intense pressure from Cuban-Americans and politicians, the cruise operator refused to operate the maiden voyage until Cuba dropped this sea travel ban. Following long talks with the Cuban government, the cruise operator was granted approval to allow all travellers to sail.
Following more than five decades of diplomatic hostility, the United States and Cuba have recently resumed relations that allow U.S travellers to visit the island.
Travel restrictions have been eased for Americans but general tourism to Cuba is still prohibited by the U.S government. Despite this, travellers can still visit the Caribbean island through people to people programmes and tours for purposes of education, culture, and religion that have been organised by licensed U.S tour operators.
Scheduled commercial flights are expected to begin between the U.S and Cuba later this year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is a popular destination for international tourists thanks to its beautiful landscapes, rich history, and cultural offerings. The nation has become an increasingly popular hotspot for Americans, and so far this year, the island has recorded a significant increase in U.S travellers.
The vibrant capital city of Havana is home to decaying ruins of historic buildings, lively bars and cafes, and bustling markets and streets, while the beach resort of Varadero boasts white sand beaches and luxury hotels and resorts.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is one of the most popular beach resorts for travellers due to its turquoise, crystal clear waters and an impressive barrier reef system that is perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...