Carnival Corp Approved to sail Cuban-Americans on cruises between U.S and Cuba
Carnival Corp has announced it will allow Cuban-born travellers to travel to Cuba from the United States on its ships. The large cruise operator will start the seven-day sailings on 1st May, 2016, and the Cuban government has granted permission for Cuban-Americans to arrive to the Caribbean island by sea. Passengers will travel on the Adonia vessel under the Fathom brand and they will visit Cuban destinations including Cienfuegos, Havana, and Santiago de Cuba.
Cuban-born Americans will now be able to travel to Cuba via sailings with the cruise operator Carnival Corp.
The seven-day journeys will start on 1st May, 2016 on board the 704-passenger Adonia vessel that operates under Carnival's Fathom brand, and they will stop at Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago de Cuba.
Last week, the Cuban government gave Carnival Corp. permission to operate sailings to Cuba for all passengers, including Cuban-born residents of America.
The cruise sailing will be the first to travel between the United States and Cuba for more than fifty years, and despite concerns and complaints from several U.S officials, permission was granted by the Cuba government after week-long talks with Carnival Corp. The ban on sea travel for Cuban-Americans was enforced to prevent anti-communist militants from travelling to Cuba to overthrow Fidel Castro’s government in 1961. This old law caused several problems for Carnival Corp’s new sailing as it discriminated against Cuban-Americans when it screened travellers on the company’s online booking form.
After intense pressure from Cuban-Americans and politicians, the cruise operator refused to operate the maiden voyage until Cuba dropped this sea travel ban. Following long talks with the Cuban government, the cruise operator was granted approval to allow all travellers to sail.
Following more than five decades of diplomatic hostility, the United States and Cuba have recently resumed relations that allow U.S travellers to visit the island.
Travel restrictions have been eased for Americans but general tourism to Cuba is still prohibited by the U.S government. Despite this, travellers can still visit the Caribbean island through people to people programmes and tours for purposes of education, culture, and religion that have been organised by licensed U.S tour operators.
Scheduled commercial flights are expected to begin between the U.S and Cuba later this year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is a popular destination for international tourists thanks to its beautiful landscapes, rich history, and cultural offerings. The nation has become an increasingly popular hotspot for Americans, and so far this year, the island has recorded a significant increase in U.S travellers.
The vibrant capital city of Havana is home to decaying ruins of historic buildings, lively bars and cafes, and bustling markets and streets, while the beach resort of Varadero boasts white sand beaches and luxury hotels and resorts.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is one of the most popular beach resorts for travellers due to its turquoise, crystal clear waters and an impressive barrier reef system that is perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...