Ponant cruise line granted approval to bring Americans to Cuba
The French luxury cruise line Ponant will bring Americans to Cuba from 2017, after it was granted approval from the Cuban government. The company will fly passengers from Miami to Cuba's capital Havana, where they will take seven or eight-night sailings on the 64-passenger yacht to various destinations around the Caribbean island.
Ponant is the latest cruise line to be granted approval from the Cuban government to sail holidaymakers around the Caribbean island. The luxury French cruise line will start sailings for American travellers in Cuba from early 2017.
Passengers will be flown in from Miami to Havana, Cuba’s capital, and they will then board the 64-passenger sailing yacht Le Ponant for seven or eight-day sailings around the island.
Navin Sawhney, the CEO of the Americas for Ponant, explained to Fox News Travel:
"Ponant has been introducing Europeans to Cuba in the past and we are now delighted to offer Americans this enriching opportunity."
The cruise line will begin sailings in Cuba from early January 2017 through to April 2017, and holidaymakers will have the chance to visit the city of Havana, the picturesque Isla de la Juventud, the stunning Cayo Largo, Cienfuegos, Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba. The sailings start from $8,190 per person, and include return airfares from Miami in the United States.
Ponant is the second cruise company to be granted permission by the Cuban government. Last month, Carnival’s new brand Fathom was given approval to provide “voluntourism” and cultural experiences for Americans, and the sailings will depart directly from the U.S.
Americans can take part in people-to-people cultural programmes under one of 12 visa categories that permit them to visit Cuba through licenced tour operators. Cuban-born American citizens, however, are not eligible for these visas.
In 1961, the United States cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba following Fidel Castro’s revolution. The years that followed saw an economic embargo imposed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. After President Obama and Raul Castro announced at the end of 2014 that diplomatic relations were to be resumed, the two countries have since opened embassies in Washington in the United States and Havana in Cuba.
Scheduled commercial flights between the U.S and Cuba are expected to start this autumn, bringing an influx of American visitors to the Caribbean island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...