Ponant cruise line granted approval to bring Americans to Cuba
The French luxury cruise line Ponant will bring Americans to Cuba from 2017, after it was granted approval from the Cuban government. The company will fly passengers from Miami to Cuba's capital Havana, where they will take seven or eight-night sailings on the 64-passenger yacht to various destinations around the Caribbean island.
Ponant is the latest cruise line to be granted approval from the Cuban government to sail holidaymakers around the Caribbean island. The luxury French cruise line will start sailings for American travellers in Cuba from early 2017.
Passengers will be flown in from Miami to Havana, Cuba’s capital, and they will then board the 64-passenger sailing yacht Le Ponant for seven or eight-day sailings around the island.
Navin Sawhney, the CEO of the Americas for Ponant, explained to Fox News Travel:
"Ponant has been introducing Europeans to Cuba in the past and we are now delighted to offer Americans this enriching opportunity."
The cruise line will begin sailings in Cuba from early January 2017 through to April 2017, and holidaymakers will have the chance to visit the city of Havana, the picturesque Isla de la Juventud, the stunning Cayo Largo, Cienfuegos, Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba. The sailings start from $8,190 per person, and include return airfares from Miami in the United States.
Ponant is the second cruise company to be granted permission by the Cuban government. Last month, Carnival’s new brand Fathom was given approval to provide “voluntourism” and cultural experiences for Americans, and the sailings will depart directly from the U.S.
Americans can take part in people-to-people cultural programmes under one of 12 visa categories that permit them to visit Cuba through licenced tour operators. Cuban-born American citizens, however, are not eligible for these visas.
In 1961, the United States cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba following Fidel Castro’s revolution. The years that followed saw an economic embargo imposed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. After President Obama and Raul Castro announced at the end of 2014 that diplomatic relations were to be resumed, the two countries have since opened embassies in Washington in the United States and Havana in Cuba.
Scheduled commercial flights between the U.S and Cuba are expected to start this autumn, bringing an influx of American visitors to the Caribbean island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...