Ponant cruise line granted approval to bring Americans to Cuba
The French luxury cruise line Ponant will bring Americans to Cuba from 2017, after it was granted approval from the Cuban government. The company will fly passengers from Miami to Cuba's capital Havana, where they will take seven or eight-night sailings on the 64-passenger yacht to various destinations around the Caribbean island.
Ponant is the latest cruise line to be granted approval from the Cuban government to sail holidaymakers around the Caribbean island. The luxury French cruise line will start sailings for American travellers in Cuba from early 2017.
Passengers will be flown in from Miami to Havana, Cuba’s capital, and they will then board the 64-passenger sailing yacht Le Ponant for seven or eight-day sailings around the island.
Navin Sawhney, the CEO of the Americas for Ponant, explained to Fox News Travel:
"Ponant has been introducing Europeans to Cuba in the past and we are now delighted to offer Americans this enriching opportunity."
The cruise line will begin sailings in Cuba from early January 2017 through to April 2017, and holidaymakers will have the chance to visit the city of Havana, the picturesque Isla de la Juventud, the stunning Cayo Largo, Cienfuegos, Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba. The sailings start from $8,190 per person, and include return airfares from Miami in the United States.
Ponant is the second cruise company to be granted permission by the Cuban government. Last month, Carnival’s new brand Fathom was given approval to provide “voluntourism” and cultural experiences for Americans, and the sailings will depart directly from the U.S.
Americans can take part in people-to-people cultural programmes under one of 12 visa categories that permit them to visit Cuba through licenced tour operators. Cuban-born American citizens, however, are not eligible for these visas.
In 1961, the United States cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba following Fidel Castro’s revolution. The years that followed saw an economic embargo imposed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. After President Obama and Raul Castro announced at the end of 2014 that diplomatic relations were to be resumed, the two countries have since opened embassies in Washington in the United States and Havana in Cuba.
Scheduled commercial flights between the U.S and Cuba are expected to start this autumn, bringing an influx of American visitors to the Caribbean island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...