Oberoi and Leela to develop tourist resorts on two islands in Maldives
India-based hotel groups Oberoi and Leela have announced they will develop new hotels in the Maldives. According to Moosa Zameer, the Tourism Minister of the Maldives, Oberoi Hotels and Resorts and Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts will transform two uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean into luxury tourist resorts.
The Tourism Minister of the Maldives Moosa Zameer has revealed that Indian hotel giants Oberoi and Leela are planning to develop new resorts in Indian Ocean.
Following a recent to India, Zameer said the two companies were looking to build luxury tourist resorts on two uninhabited islands in the Maldives.
In press conference Mr Zameer explained to reporters:
“They’re in the process of finalising the projects.”
The Oberoi Group was founded in 1934 and under Oberoi Hotels and Resorts, it operates 30 luxury hotels, a Nile Cruiser and a Motor Vessel in Kerala. The hotel group operates hotels and resorts under the luxury Oberoi and five-star Trident brands in India, Egypt, Mauritius, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and The United Arab Emirates. The Leela Group owns Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts, which is managed by Hotel Leelaventure Limited and was established in 1983 in Mumbai.
The Maldives is an archipelago nation spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which only 200 are inhabited. Home to stunning natural landscapes and blue skies, holidaymakers can enjoy a variety of activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches fringed with swaying palm trees and azure ocean waters.
The islands offer magnificent scuba diving conditions and during underwater adventures, divers can catch sightings of an abundance of tropical marine creatures including turtles, stingrays, dolphins, whale sharks, zebra sharks, manta rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish and parrot fish.
Holidaymakers can go island hopping and enjoy secluded beaches and tranquil lagoons, or head to the capital Male, where they can go shopping in boutiques on Majeedhee Magu, or buy souvenirs in the markets in Orchid Magu.
The Maldives was a British Protectorate in 1887 and was protected by Britain against colonial expansion for more than 70 years. The island nation gained full independence on 26th July, 1965.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Take your pick from 7 exquisite restaurants and 6 lively bars
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...