Oberoi and Leela to develop tourist resorts on two islands in Maldives
India-based hotel groups Oberoi and Leela have announced they will develop new hotels in the Maldives. According to Moosa Zameer, the Tourism Minister of the Maldives, Oberoi Hotels and Resorts and Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts will transform two uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean into luxury tourist resorts.
The Tourism Minister of the Maldives Moosa Zameer has revealed that Indian hotel giants Oberoi and Leela are planning to develop new resorts in Indian Ocean.
Following a recent to India, Zameer said the two companies were looking to build luxury tourist resorts on two uninhabited islands in the Maldives.
In press conference Mr Zameer explained to reporters:
“They’re in the process of finalising the projects.”
The Oberoi Group was founded in 1934 and under Oberoi Hotels and Resorts, it operates 30 luxury hotels, a Nile Cruiser and a Motor Vessel in Kerala. The hotel group operates hotels and resorts under the luxury Oberoi and five-star Trident brands in India, Egypt, Mauritius, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and The United Arab Emirates. The Leela Group owns Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts, which is managed by Hotel Leelaventure Limited and was established in 1983 in Mumbai.
The Maldives is an archipelago nation spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which only 200 are inhabited. Home to stunning natural landscapes and blue skies, holidaymakers can enjoy a variety of activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches fringed with swaying palm trees and azure ocean waters.
The islands offer magnificent scuba diving conditions and during underwater adventures, divers can catch sightings of an abundance of tropical marine creatures including turtles, stingrays, dolphins, whale sharks, zebra sharks, manta rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish and parrot fish.
Holidaymakers can go island hopping and enjoy secluded beaches and tranquil lagoons, or head to the capital Male, where they can go shopping in boutiques on Majeedhee Magu, or buy souvenirs in the markets in Orchid Magu.
The Maldives was a British Protectorate in 1887 and was protected by Britain against colonial expansion for more than 70 years. The island nation gained full independence on 26th July, 1965.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Benifit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters also featuring private sun decks
- The Main Restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western fare
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...