Starwood Hotels looking to open new property on east coast of Sri Lanka
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide has announced that it is looking to expand its portfolio of hotels in Sri Lanka. The global hotel group is eying properties in Pasikuda on the east coast of the Indian Ocean island, and it will be opening the new Sheraton Kosgoda Turtle Beach Resort on the west coast in October this year.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide is looking at expanding its presence in Sri Lanka, and has its eyes set on the east coast.
The hotel group will open Sheraton Kosgoda Turtle Beach Resort on the west coast of Sri Lanka in October this year in a joint venture with Browns Investments.
According to Dilip Puri, Starwood Hotels and Resorts' Managing Director of India and the Regional Vice President of South Asia, the company is looking at building a new hotel in Pasikuda on the east coast of the island, and eventually all of Starwood's brand could be introduced to Sri Lanka.
"I could see all Starwood brands in Sri Lanka – from big city markets like Colombo to resorts on the coast. Colombo is pretty much ready for the luxury end of the market if you have Shangri La here."
Commented Mr Puri, he continued explaining:
"Sri Lanka needs branded hotels – what's most important – because branded hotels create demand."
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide operates1,270 luxury hotels and resorts across the North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. The hotel group's brands include Sheraton, St. Regis, Westin, Le Meridien and Four Points.
Pasikuda is one of the areas that the government is keen to drive forward as a destination for Sri Lanka holidays. Situated on the east coast of the island in the Batticaloa district, Pasikuda is home to stunning golden sand beaches and shallow turquoise ocean waters, and was a hotspot for travellers until 1983 when the civil war began.
A shopping mall, art gallery, aquarium, open-air theatre, cycle path and golf course are expected to be built within the new tourism zone.
Sri Lanka is an island in the Indian Ocean renowned for its stunning natural scenery and diverse ecosystem that is made up of miles of sandy beaches, soaring mountains, thriving wildlife sanctuaries, verdant nature parks, and an array of heritage sites which that ancient cities and colonial forts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....