Starwood Hotels looking to open new property on east coast of Sri Lanka
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide has announced that it is looking to expand its portfolio of hotels in Sri Lanka. The global hotel group is eying properties in Pasikuda on the east coast of the Indian Ocean island, and it will be opening the new Sheraton Kosgoda Turtle Beach Resort on the west coast in October this year.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide is looking at expanding its presence in Sri Lanka, and has its eyes set on the east coast.
The hotel group will open Sheraton Kosgoda Turtle Beach Resort on the west coast of Sri Lanka in October this year in a joint venture with Browns Investments.
According to Dilip Puri, Starwood Hotels and Resorts' Managing Director of India and the Regional Vice President of South Asia, the company is looking at building a new hotel in Pasikuda on the east coast of the island, and eventually all of Starwood's brand could be introduced to Sri Lanka.
"I could see all Starwood brands in Sri Lanka – from big city markets like Colombo to resorts on the coast. Colombo is pretty much ready for the luxury end of the market if you have Shangri La here."
Commented Mr Puri, he continued explaining:
"Sri Lanka needs branded hotels – what's most important – because branded hotels create demand."
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide operates1,270 luxury hotels and resorts across the North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. The hotel group's brands include Sheraton, St. Regis, Westin, Le Meridien and Four Points.
Pasikuda is one of the areas that the government is keen to drive forward as a destination for Sri Lanka holidays. Situated on the east coast of the island in the Batticaloa district, Pasikuda is home to stunning golden sand beaches and shallow turquoise ocean waters, and was a hotspot for travellers until 1983 when the civil war began.
A shopping mall, art gallery, aquarium, open-air theatre, cycle path and golf course are expected to be built within the new tourism zone.
Sri Lanka is an island in the Indian Ocean renowned for its stunning natural scenery and diverse ecosystem that is made up of miles of sandy beaches, soaring mountains, thriving wildlife sanctuaries, verdant nature parks, and an array of heritage sites which that ancient cities and colonial forts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Take advantage of this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....