Cancun received record-breaking 5 million visitors in 2015
Cancun received more than five million international visitors in 2015, according to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau. The coastal region in Mexico broke its previous of 4.8 million arrivals from the year before, and the average hotel occupancy in the city was a record-breaking 82 per cent in 2015.
Cancun received recording breaking visitor arrivals last year, with more than five million travellers visiting the city in Mexico.
According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, numbers in 2015 surpassed the 4.8 million visitors in 2014, and the hotel occupancy rates in the city reached a record-breaking 82 per cent last year.
Jesus Almaguer, the Chief Executive of the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, explained:
"We are thrilled to report yet another record-breaking year for tourism in Cancun. We look forward to start off the year in such a positive direction and welcome the newest additions to Cancun that will enhance the destination's already robust tourism offerings."
In last year's prestigious World Travel Awards, Cancun was named as Mexico's Leading Beach Destination, beating other coastal cities in Mexico like Los Cabos.
This year, bookings to the region are rising and travel agency Expedia listed it as the leading international destination for package holidays, beating New York and Las Vegas.
Business tourism in Cancun is on the rise, and in 2015, nearly 20 per cent of arrivals were visiting for business purposes.
The Cancun International Airport (CUN) has expanded two if its terminals and a third is currently under construction.
Situated on the strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country and the city is full of luxury hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, shops and boutiques, world-class golf courses, and fun activities.
Visitors can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba dive beneath the surface of the crystal clear turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trek through lush rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region's ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
The region has come a long way over recent decades, and in 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves. Since then, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, foodies, and nature-lovers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...