Cancun received record-breaking 5 million visitors in 2015
Cancun received more than five million international visitors in 2015, according to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau. The coastal region in Mexico broke its previous of 4.8 million arrivals from the year before, and the average hotel occupancy in the city was a record-breaking 82 per cent in 2015.
Cancun received recording breaking visitor arrivals last year, with more than five million travellers visiting the city in Mexico.
According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, numbers in 2015 surpassed the 4.8 million visitors in 2014, and the hotel occupancy rates in the city reached a record-breaking 82 per cent last year.
Jesus Almaguer, the Chief Executive of the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, explained:
"We are thrilled to report yet another record-breaking year for tourism in Cancun. We look forward to start off the year in such a positive direction and welcome the newest additions to Cancun that will enhance the destination's already robust tourism offerings."
In last year's prestigious World Travel Awards, Cancun was named as Mexico's Leading Beach Destination, beating other coastal cities in Mexico like Los Cabos.
This year, bookings to the region are rising and travel agency Expedia listed it as the leading international destination for package holidays, beating New York and Las Vegas.
Business tourism in Cancun is on the rise, and in 2015, nearly 20 per cent of arrivals were visiting for business purposes.
The Cancun International Airport (CUN) has expanded two if its terminals and a third is currently under construction.
Situated on the strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country and the city is full of luxury hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, shops and boutiques, world-class golf courses, and fun activities.
Visitors can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba dive beneath the surface of the crystal clear turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trek through lush rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region's ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
The region has come a long way over recent decades, and in 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves. Since then, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, foodies, and nature-lovers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...