Cancun received record-breaking 5 million visitors in 2015
Cancun received more than five million international visitors in 2015, according to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau. The coastal region in Mexico broke its previous of 4.8 million arrivals from the year before, and the average hotel occupancy in the city was a record-breaking 82 per cent in 2015.
Cancun received recording breaking visitor arrivals last year, with more than five million travellers visiting the city in Mexico.
According to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, numbers in 2015 surpassed the 4.8 million visitors in 2014, and the hotel occupancy rates in the city reached a record-breaking 82 per cent last year.
Jesus Almaguer, the Chief Executive of the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, explained:
"We are thrilled to report yet another record-breaking year for tourism in Cancun. We look forward to start off the year in such a positive direction and welcome the newest additions to Cancun that will enhance the destination's already robust tourism offerings."
In last year's prestigious World Travel Awards, Cancun was named as Mexico's Leading Beach Destination, beating other coastal cities in Mexico like Los Cabos.
This year, bookings to the region are rising and travel agency Expedia listed it as the leading international destination for package holidays, beating New York and Las Vegas.
Business tourism in Cancun is on the rise, and in 2015, nearly 20 per cent of arrivals were visiting for business purposes.
The Cancun International Airport (CUN) has expanded two if its terminals and a third is currently under construction.
Situated on the strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country and the city is full of luxury hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, shops and boutiques, world-class golf courses, and fun activities.
Visitors can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba dive beneath the surface of the crystal clear turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trek through lush rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region's ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
The region has come a long way over recent decades, and in 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves. Since then, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, foodies, and nature-lovers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...