RIU Hotels and Resorts seeking approval for new development in Isla Mujeres, Cancun
RIU Hotels and Resorts is looking to open a new hotel in Isla Blanca-Isla Mujeres near Cancun in Mexico. The Spanish hotel group has proposed the construction of a brand new 753-room property in a location between two protected areas in Isla Mujeres, pending the results of an environmental impact study.
RIU Hotels and Resorts is planning to open a brand new hotel in the Isla Mujeres municipality in Mexico.
The Spanish hotel group has requested authorisation for an environmental impact study in order to construct a new hotel in a location between two protected areas in Isla Blanca near Cancun.
The Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources has acknowledged the proposed development of the "Riviera Cancun" but the plans are controversial due to the area being vulnerable to the impact of climate change.
During an initial site inspection, the socioeconomic impact of the project is expected to be low, and the reduction of vegetation cover and loss is considered moderate. Earlier this month, official procedures and paperwork started for the development for what will be the 12th hotel in RIU's portfolio in the Quintana Roo province.
The 167,801-square-metre development is said to take 48 months to complete and will include the construction of a five-storey hotel with 753 guest rooms and suites, tropical gardens, swimming pools, a large sun deck, gourmet restaurants, and parking areas.
Isla Blanca is a picturesque beach on Isla Mujeres, an island eight miles of the coast of Cancun. Cancun is located in the Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and it boasts breathtaking scenery including verdant tropical forests, ancient Mayan temples, pristine white sand beaches, and sparkling azure Caribbean waters that are thriving with marine species.
Holidaymakers can visit the region's magnificent diverse wildlife within the thriving nature reserves, such as the eco-archaeological park, Xcaret, the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve, and Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, or explore the historical Mayan ruins such as the large Chichen Itza Archaeological Site and temples in Tulum that show that civilisation in the area dates back to 2600 BC.
RIU Hotels and Resorts is a family-run Spanish hotel chain with more than 100 hotels in 16 countries across the globe.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...