RIU Hotels and Resorts seeking approval for new development in Isla Mujeres, Cancun
RIU Hotels and Resorts is looking to open a new hotel in Isla Blanca-Isla Mujeres near Cancun in Mexico. The Spanish hotel group has proposed the construction of a brand new 753-room property in a location between two protected areas in Isla Mujeres, pending the results of an environmental impact study.
RIU Hotels and Resorts is planning to open a brand new hotel in the Isla Mujeres municipality in Mexico.
The Spanish hotel group has requested authorisation for an environmental impact study in order to construct a new hotel in a location between two protected areas in Isla Blanca near Cancun.
The Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources has acknowledged the proposed development of the "Riviera Cancun" but the plans are controversial due to the area being vulnerable to the impact of climate change.
During an initial site inspection, the socioeconomic impact of the project is expected to be low, and the reduction of vegetation cover and loss is considered moderate. Earlier this month, official procedures and paperwork started for the development for what will be the 12th hotel in RIU's portfolio in the Quintana Roo province.
The 167,801-square-metre development is said to take 48 months to complete and will include the construction of a five-storey hotel with 753 guest rooms and suites, tropical gardens, swimming pools, a large sun deck, gourmet restaurants, and parking areas.
Isla Blanca is a picturesque beach on Isla Mujeres, an island eight miles of the coast of Cancun. Cancun is located in the Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and it boasts breathtaking scenery including verdant tropical forests, ancient Mayan temples, pristine white sand beaches, and sparkling azure Caribbean waters that are thriving with marine species.
Holidaymakers can visit the region's magnificent diverse wildlife within the thriving nature reserves, such as the eco-archaeological park, Xcaret, the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve, and Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, or explore the historical Mayan ruins such as the large Chichen Itza Archaeological Site and temples in Tulum that show that civilisation in the area dates back to 2600 BC.
RIU Hotels and Resorts is a family-run Spanish hotel chain with more than 100 hotels in 16 countries across the globe.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...