Grand Mayan-themed opening for Mexico's Hyatt Ziva Cancun
Hyatt Ziva Cancun officially opened its doors to guests with a grand opening gala this week. The refurbished former Dreams Cancun property boasts 547 suites and upscale facilities including nine restaurants, six bars and lounges, an onsite micro-brewery, a spa with 13 treatment rooms, and a large ocean-view fitness centre.
The officially opening of Hyatt Ziva Cancun took place this week with a Mayan-themed gala event.
The former Dreams Cancun in Mexico underwent an extensive refurbishment programme costing $85 million when it was taken over by Playa Hotels and Resorts.
Perched on the edge of a peninsula in Cancun, next to the city's entertainment district and 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport (CUN), the luxury resort is surrounded on three sides by the Caribbean Sea and boasts 547 suites, including swim-up suites.
Bruce Wardinski, the Chairman of Playa Hotels and Resorts, explained during the opening gala on Tuesday:
"We like to think of this as the only resort in Cancun. Everybody else is a hotel on the beach. We're truly a resort."
Guests staying at Hyatt Ziva Cancun can enjoy a variety of facilities including resort nine restaurants serving international culinary delights, six stylish and casual bars and lounges, an onsite microbrewery, a 24-hour ocean-facing fitness centre, a spa with 13 treatment rooms and an ocean-facing hydrotherapy area, a 745-person capacity ballroom, and 16,000-square-feet of meeting and event space with modern equipment.
The all-inclusive resort was originally designed by the Mexican architect, Ricardo Legoretta, and while it maintains its pyramid-style architecture, the property has been expanded and redesigned to reflect the culture of the Yucatan.
The resort joins the brand's other hotels in the Caribbean: Hyatt Zilara Cancun, Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara in Rose Hall, Jamaica; Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta; and Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos.
Cancun is a strip of Caribbean coastline on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico that was developed into a tourist resort after several financial institutions, including the Bank of Mexico, invested in the project in the 1970's.
What was once an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves in 1970, has since become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and nature-lovers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...