Why now is the best time for UK travellers to visit Costa Rica
Costa Rica is becoming a hot travel destination for British tourists and it is set to become even more popular following the launch of direct flights from Thomas Cook recently and British Airways in May. The country is home to diverse natural landscapes made up of soaring volcanos, lush rainforests, and miles of sandy beaches.
Costa Rica has emerged an increasingly popular destination for British travellers and it’s expected to get even more popular following the recent launch of direct flights from the UK.
Thomson has recently launched direct flights to the tropical country in Central America, and British Airways has announced plans to do the same in May, 2016.
The Telegraph has listed 29 reasons why British travellers should visit the beautiful country in the near future.
These include its ranking as the happiest place to live in the world according to the most recent Happy Planet Index (HPI). Costa Rica scored an HPI rating of 64, while the UK scored 47.9. The index measures human well-being and the environmental impact.
The country has had no army since 1949 and it is home to the United National University for Peace, making it one of the most peace-loving countries in the world.
Life expectancy in Costa Rica is significantly higher than other nations and 79 is the average age of its citizens. The residents of the Nicoya Peninsula frequently live beyond the age of 100 years, and the impressive longevity is said to be down to the simple lifestyle where locals work on farms or cattle ranches.
The coffee in the country is said to be among the best in the world, literacy rate is at 97.8 per cent, and the women keep their maiden names when they get married.
But the one obvious thing that Costa Rica has is its diverse landscapes and wildlife, which draws thousands of travellers every year.
Home to verdant jungles, cloud forests such as Monteverde, and more than a dozen volcanos such as the soaring Arenal, the country hosts five per cent of the world’s biodiversity, and a quarter of the nation is a protected forest or nature reserve.
The beaches on the Pacific Coast are where you can watch the annual arrival of the Olive Ridley sea turtles, who come to lay their eggs, and if you can take part in numerous conservation programmes where you can see the turtles hatch in the sand.
Costa Rica has become the top destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures as it aims to be carbon-neutral by 2021. In Costa Rica tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay in a Preferred Club room, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Enjoy activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- Choose between 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Enjoy all-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service.
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
Overview Costa Ricans will all agree that the Caribbean side of the country has a culture of its own. Coconut in every...