Hundreds of dancers attempt World Record of giant salsa circle in Cuba
Dancers from Cuba and other parts of the world will be taking part in the Giant Casino Circle (officially called Rueda de Casino) today in an attempt to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records. The dancers are intending to make the world's largest Casino dancing circle at Artex's Salon Rosado de La Tropical in Cuba, as part of the Baila en Cuba Festival which is currently taking place in the capital and the events of which will carry on throughout the week.
Salsa dancers from all over the world will be gathering in Havana today and attempting to break a world record when they step up to the challenge of synchronisingly dancing in a Giant Casino Circle, officially known as "rueda de casino" (casino wheel).
The mega-dancing event is part of a series of activities that have been taking place all week at Salon Rosado de la Tropical, an Artex cultural centre in Havana, where more than 1,000 couples have been rehearsing for the big final attempt today.
The dancers are intending to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records and beat current record which is held by Greece when 1,102 people danced Casino for 7.16 minutes.
Hundreds of people of all ages and from many different backgrounds, including students, doctors, communicators, artists and mothers with children, will be joining in to what hopes to become the world's largest circular dance.
Part of the annual Baila en Cuba Festival that's currently taking place in Cuba all this week until 27th November, the record-breaking attempt has been sponsored by Artex’s cultural tourism agency, Paradiso, to celebrate the festival's tenth anniversary.
Every year the World Meeting of Casino and Salsa Dancers and Academies gathers more than 500 dancers and everyday people who are interested in learning the different musical genres and rhythms of Cuba’s culture such as mambo, cha cha chá, rumba.
During the world record attempt, dancers will be accompanied by music in the form of some famous pre-selected Cuban salsa tunes including Somos Diferente by Juan Formell, Baila en Cuba by Manolito Simonet, Somos Latinos by Adalberto Alvarez and Me dicen Cuba by Alexander Abreu.
Participants can also enjoy a series of concerts performed by the main Cuban bands where they can enjoy evenings of popular music at the Salon Rosado de la Tropical.
One 25th November, 2015, Paulo FG y su Élite and Pupy y los que Son will perform, 26th November, Jose Luis Cortez y NG La Banda and Maykel Blanco y su Salsa Mayor, and on 27th November, there will be the Closing Ceremony with Elito Revé y su Charangón and Alexander Abreu y Havana D´Primera.
Havana is a vibrant city that offers plenty of culture, traditions, authentic cuisine, historic architecture and Cuban charm.
The capital city boasts an array of tourist hotspots such as the Malecon, a seafront promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the old town square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...