Hundreds of dancers attempt World Record of giant salsa circle in Cuba
Dancers from Cuba and other parts of the world will be taking part in the Giant Casino Circle (officially called Rueda de Casino) today in an attempt to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records. The dancers are intending to make the world's largest Casino dancing circle at Artex's Salon Rosado de La Tropical in Cuba, as part of the Baila en Cuba Festival which is currently taking place in the capital and the events of which will carry on throughout the week.
Salsa dancers from all over the world will be gathering in Havana today and attempting to break a world record when they step up to the challenge of synchronisingly dancing in a Giant Casino Circle, officially known as "rueda de casino" (casino wheel).
The mega-dancing event is part of a series of activities that have been taking place all week at Salon Rosado de la Tropical, an Artex cultural centre in Havana, where more than 1,000 couples have been rehearsing for the big final attempt today.
The dancers are intending to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records and beat current record which is held by Greece when 1,102 people danced Casino for 7.16 minutes.
Hundreds of people of all ages and from many different backgrounds, including students, doctors, communicators, artists and mothers with children, will be joining in to what hopes to become the world's largest circular dance.
Part of the annual Baila en Cuba Festival that's currently taking place in Cuba all this week until 27th November, the record-breaking attempt has been sponsored by Artex’s cultural tourism agency, Paradiso, to celebrate the festival's tenth anniversary.
Every year the World Meeting of Casino and Salsa Dancers and Academies gathers more than 500 dancers and everyday people who are interested in learning the different musical genres and rhythms of Cuba’s culture such as mambo, cha cha chá, rumba.
During the world record attempt, dancers will be accompanied by music in the form of some famous pre-selected Cuban salsa tunes including Somos Diferente by Juan Formell, Baila en Cuba by Manolito Simonet, Somos Latinos by Adalberto Alvarez and Me dicen Cuba by Alexander Abreu.
Participants can also enjoy a series of concerts performed by the main Cuban bands where they can enjoy evenings of popular music at the Salon Rosado de la Tropical.
One 25th November, 2015, Paulo FG y su Élite and Pupy y los que Son will perform, 26th November, Jose Luis Cortez y NG La Banda and Maykel Blanco y su Salsa Mayor, and on 27th November, there will be the Closing Ceremony with Elito Revé y su Charangón and Alexander Abreu y Havana D´Primera.
Havana is a vibrant city that offers plenty of culture, traditions, authentic cuisine, historic architecture and Cuban charm.
The capital city boasts an array of tourist hotspots such as the Malecon, a seafront promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the old town square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...