Hundreds of dancers attempt World Record of giant salsa circle in Cuba
Dancers from Cuba and other parts of the world will be taking part in the Giant Casino Circle (officially called Rueda de Casino) today in an attempt to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records. The dancers are intending to make the world's largest Casino dancing circle at Artex's Salon Rosado de La Tropical in Cuba, as part of the Baila en Cuba Festival which is currently taking place in the capital and the events of which will carry on throughout the week.
Salsa dancers from all over the world will be gathering in Havana today and attempting to break a world record when they step up to the challenge of synchronisingly dancing in a Giant Casino Circle, officially known as "rueda de casino" (casino wheel).
The mega-dancing event is part of a series of activities that have been taking place all week at Salon Rosado de la Tropical, an Artex cultural centre in Havana, where more than 1,000 couples have been rehearsing for the big final attempt today.
The dancers are intending to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records and beat current record which is held by Greece when 1,102 people danced Casino for 7.16 minutes.
Hundreds of people of all ages and from many different backgrounds, including students, doctors, communicators, artists and mothers with children, will be joining in to what hopes to become the world's largest circular dance.
Part of the annual Baila en Cuba Festival that's currently taking place in Cuba all this week until 27th November, the record-breaking attempt has been sponsored by Artex’s cultural tourism agency, Paradiso, to celebrate the festival's tenth anniversary.
Every year the World Meeting of Casino and Salsa Dancers and Academies gathers more than 500 dancers and everyday people who are interested in learning the different musical genres and rhythms of Cuba’s culture such as mambo, cha cha chá, rumba.
During the world record attempt, dancers will be accompanied by music in the form of some famous pre-selected Cuban salsa tunes including Somos Diferente by Juan Formell, Baila en Cuba by Manolito Simonet, Somos Latinos by Adalberto Alvarez and Me dicen Cuba by Alexander Abreu.
Participants can also enjoy a series of concerts performed by the main Cuban bands where they can enjoy evenings of popular music at the Salon Rosado de la Tropical.
One 25th November, 2015, Paulo FG y su Élite and Pupy y los que Son will perform, 26th November, Jose Luis Cortez y NG La Banda and Maykel Blanco y su Salsa Mayor, and on 27th November, there will be the Closing Ceremony with Elito Revé y su Charangón and Alexander Abreu y Havana D´Primera.
Havana is a vibrant city that offers plenty of culture, traditions, authentic cuisine, historic architecture and Cuban charm.
The capital city boasts an array of tourist hotspots such as the Malecon, a seafront promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the old town square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...