RIU Hotels & Resorts to debut in the Maldives with 2 new hotels
RIU Hotels & Resorts will become the first Spanish hotel chain to open a hotel in the Maldives, following the purchase of the Kedhigandu and Maafushi islands. Two hotels will be built on the islets - a Riu Palace with 174 rooms and a Riu Classic with 248 rooms - and both are scheduled to open to guests in 2018.
RIU Hotels & Resorts will be marking its debut in the Maldives soon, becoming the first Spanish hotel group to open resorts in the Indian Ocean nation.
The hotelier recently acquired the Kedhigandu and Maafushi islands and it will build two new hotels: a Riu Palace with 174 guest rooms and a Riu Classic with 248 guest rooms.
Development for both properties in the Maldives is currently underway and both resorts are due to open in 2018 in the Dhaalu atoll. The closest main inhabited island is Kudahuvadho.
The new luxury hotels by RIU will feature small seaside structures which will have direct access either to the white sand beach or to the shallow turquoise ocean waters via a stairway from the room’s terrace. Both hotel islands will be connected via a walkway that will also have guest rooms built over the water.
After these new openings, RIU will keep further expanding into new markets, tapping into Asia for the first time as well, and one of its newest projects in the region is the Riu hotel Sri Lanka that will open in July 2016.
RIU Hotels & Resorts is a family-run company with more than 100 hotels in 16 countries across the world.
Situated in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited. The islands are a hotspot for romantic breaks, honeymoons, weddings, family escapes and pampering spa holidays.
Tourists can take part in a variety of activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, hiking through tropical forests, and relaxing on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees and sapphire ocean waters.
Visitors flock to the tropical region for its excellent scuba diving and snorkelling conditions. During underwater adventures, divers can catch sightings of an abundance of tropical marine creatures including turtles, stingrays, dolphins, whale sharks, zebra sharks, manta rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish and parrot fish.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Benifit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters also featuring private sun decks
- The Main Restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western fare
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...