RIU Hotels & Resorts to debut in the Maldives with 2 new hotels
RIU Hotels & Resorts will become the first Spanish hotel chain to open a hotel in the Maldives, following the purchase of the Kedhigandu and Maafushi islands. Two hotels will be built on the islets - a Riu Palace with 174 rooms and a Riu Classic with 248 rooms - and both are scheduled to open to guests in 2018.
RIU Hotels & Resorts will be marking its debut in the Maldives soon, becoming the first Spanish hotel group to open resorts in the Indian Ocean nation.
The hotelier recently acquired the Kedhigandu and Maafushi islands and it will build two new hotels: a Riu Palace with 174 guest rooms and a Riu Classic with 248 guest rooms.
Development for both properties in the Maldives is currently underway and both resorts are due to open in 2018 in the Dhaalu atoll. The closest main inhabited island is Kudahuvadho.
The new luxury hotels by RIU will feature small seaside structures which will have direct access either to the white sand beach or to the shallow turquoise ocean waters via a stairway from the room’s terrace. Both hotel islands will be connected via a walkway that will also have guest rooms built over the water.
After these new openings, RIU will keep further expanding into new markets, tapping into Asia for the first time as well, and one of its newest projects in the region is the Riu hotel Sri Lanka that will open in July 2016.
RIU Hotels & Resorts is a family-run company with more than 100 hotels in 16 countries across the world.
Situated in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 1,200 stunning coral islands, of which 200 are inhabited. The islands are a hotspot for romantic breaks, honeymoons, weddings, family escapes and pampering spa holidays.
Tourists can take part in a variety of activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat trips, hiking through tropical forests, and relaxing on unspoilt white sugar sand beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees and sapphire ocean waters.
Visitors flock to the tropical region for its excellent scuba diving and snorkelling conditions. During underwater adventures, divers can catch sightings of an abundance of tropical marine creatures including turtles, stingrays, dolphins, whale sharks, zebra sharks, manta rays, angel fish, clown fish, butterfly fish and parrot fish.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
All villas are surrounded by palm trees or on stilts over the lagoon, making for a memorable stay.
- Free Upgarde from Half Board to All Inclusive! Book Now!
- Set on the tropical island of Dhuni Kolhu surrounded by warm waters of the Indian Ocean, and located only 30 minutes by sea plane from Male International Airport.
- Witness schools of dolphins playing in the azure waters or try fishing in the traditional Maldivian way while enjoying breath-taking sunset
- Find a state of relaxation with a variety of different treatments and massages created to indulge personal desires for well-being
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....