PATA Gold Award goes to Kerala for its Muziris Heritage Project
Kerala Tourism has won the PATA Gold Award in Heritage and Culture Category for its efforts in reinventing the millennia-old Spice Route heritage. The tourism board in south western India was praised for the conservation aspects, local community impact, and the uniqueness of the Muziris Heritage Project.
The Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold Award has been given to Kerala Tourism for its achievement in reinventing the millennia-old Spice Route heritage through the Muziris Heritage Project.
The south-western Indian state was recognised for the project's uniqueness, conservational efforts, and positive impact on the local community.
The Pacific Asia Travel Association Awards are sponsored by Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO) and G. Kamala Vardhana Rao, the Secretary of Tourism for the Government of Kerala, received the award at a ceremony at the recent PATA Travel Mart in Bengaluru. Mr Vardhana Rao explained:
"The Muziris Heritage Project is a vital element in the restoration of the historical Spice Route led by Kerala Tourism and supported by the Central government and international organisations like UNESCO.
"The revival of the rich cultural heritage of Spice Route, which occupies a vast geographical area from Kerala to countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Far East, will play a significant role in cultural tourism in the world."
The Muziris Heritage Project showcases the possibilities of a region that lost its glory centuries ago. Stretching from North Parur and Kodungalloor in Kerala, the project has reinstated the historical and cultural significance of the renowned port of Muziri.
"We are humbled by this huge honour for our state. The award is an acknowledgement of the initiative to bring back our tradition and history for the sake of the modern generation, and through it achieve the goal of growth and development for our people. This is an award for the community and stakeholders in the state who are involved in the day-to-day work carried out on the ground to preserve our rich heritage.
"Muziris Heritage Project is a mammoth conservation undertaking never before attempted in our country in recent times in terms of its size and scale."
Commented A.P. Anilkumar, the Minister for Tourism in Kerala.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Be moved by India's icons; from the majestic Taj Mahal to the natural beauty of Keoladeo National Park - this is India at its best.
- Experience the Royal Maharaja lifestyle with a stay in a wonderful Bharatpur Palace
- Discover the magnificent City Palace Museum and enjoy an authentic Rajasthani feast in Jaipur
- See Humayun's Tomb in Delhi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the first garden-tomb on the Indian subcontinent
A magical journey on the fastest train in India - A truly once-in-a-lifetime experience to see the Golden Triangle
Travel through the heart of this wonderful country unearthing many hidden gems and witnessing many of India's most famous landmarks and monuments
- Journey on the fantastic Gatimaan Express, India's first train of it's type that was launched in April 2016
- Enjoy various excursions along the way such as a rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, Jeep ride ascending Amber Fort and a Rajasthani feast with a local family, all included
- Travel between New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, with English speaking local guides for sightseeing and excursion tours
Go for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and get a fuller taste of India when you combine culture and village lifestyle traditions.
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- This is a journey through the heart of India to explore the old and new part of Delhi the capital city, the Taj Mahal in Agra and much more
- During the tour you will be staying at fabulous comfortable hotels that are all 4* and above
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...