PATA Gold Award goes to Kerala for its Muziris Heritage Project
Kerala Tourism has won the PATA Gold Award in Heritage and Culture Category for its efforts in reinventing the millennia-old Spice Route heritage. The tourism board in south western India was praised for the conservation aspects, local community impact, and the uniqueness of the Muziris Heritage Project.
The Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold Award has been given to Kerala Tourism for its achievement in reinventing the millennia-old Spice Route heritage through the Muziris Heritage Project.
The south-western Indian state was recognised for the project's uniqueness, conservational efforts, and positive impact on the local community.
The Pacific Asia Travel Association Awards are sponsored by Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO) and G. Kamala Vardhana Rao, the Secretary of Tourism for the Government of Kerala, received the award at a ceremony at the recent PATA Travel Mart in Bengaluru. Mr Vardhana Rao explained:
"The Muziris Heritage Project is a vital element in the restoration of the historical Spice Route led by Kerala Tourism and supported by the Central government and international organisations like UNESCO.
"The revival of the rich cultural heritage of Spice Route, which occupies a vast geographical area from Kerala to countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Far East, will play a significant role in cultural tourism in the world."
The Muziris Heritage Project showcases the possibilities of a region that lost its glory centuries ago. Stretching from North Parur and Kodungalloor in Kerala, the project has reinstated the historical and cultural significance of the renowned port of Muziri.
"We are humbled by this huge honour for our state. The award is an acknowledgement of the initiative to bring back our tradition and history for the sake of the modern generation, and through it achieve the goal of growth and development for our people. This is an award for the community and stakeholders in the state who are involved in the day-to-day work carried out on the ground to preserve our rich heritage.
"Muziris Heritage Project is a mammoth conservation undertaking never before attempted in our country in recent times in terms of its size and scale."
Commented A.P. Anilkumar, the Minister for Tourism in Kerala.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Enjoy the highlights of Cochin, Periyar National Park and Alleppey which is on everyones must-visit list for Kerala
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Add on private tours from an extra Â£99 per person, Â£300Â off the Âusual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
- Add a 7-night Golden Triangle tour (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) from Â£499 per person
- Add three nights at the beachfront Samudra hotel in Kovalam, with breakfast, from Â£170 more per person including transfers
- Enjoy various extras on the tour including Half day sightseeing of Cochin, Kathakali dance performance, boat ride on Lake Periya and Guided walk through a Spice plantation
- The Houseboat offers a floating holiday on the backwaters highway with Rainbow Cruises and is perhaps the most enchanting holiday experience in the world
- English speaking guide will be available throughout your once in a life-time trip
Enjoy a once in a lifetime Golden Triangle and Beyond India tour visiting various famous monuments along the way
Let India's incredible wonders fascinate and excite you on this wonderful India Tour where you can view many of the country's spectacular sights
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a guided village walk through the local farms and trails where you can interact and learn about the cattle's, crops & lives of the villagers
Go for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and get a fuller taste of India when you combine culture and village lifestyle traditions.
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- This is a journey through the heart of India to explore the old and new part of Delhi the capital city, the Taj Mahal in Agra and much more
- During the tour you will be staying at fabulous comfortable hotels that are all 4* and above
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Travelling by train, the ever-changing scenery will slowly unfold as you move from city to city on this exciting...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the...