PATA Gold Award goes to Kerala for its Muziris Heritage Project
Kerala Tourism has won the PATA Gold Award in Heritage and Culture Category for its efforts in reinventing the millennia-old Spice Route heritage. The tourism board in south western India was praised for the conservation aspects, local community impact, and the uniqueness of the Muziris Heritage Project.
The Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold Award has been given to Kerala Tourism for its achievement in reinventing the millennia-old Spice Route heritage through the Muziris Heritage Project.
The south-western Indian state was recognised for the project's uniqueness, conservational efforts, and positive impact on the local community.
The Pacific Asia Travel Association Awards are sponsored by Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO) and G. Kamala Vardhana Rao, the Secretary of Tourism for the Government of Kerala, received the award at a ceremony at the recent PATA Travel Mart in Bengaluru. Mr Vardhana Rao explained:
"The Muziris Heritage Project is a vital element in the restoration of the historical Spice Route led by Kerala Tourism and supported by the Central government and international organisations like UNESCO.
"The revival of the rich cultural heritage of Spice Route, which occupies a vast geographical area from Kerala to countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Far East, will play a significant role in cultural tourism in the world."
The Muziris Heritage Project showcases the possibilities of a region that lost its glory centuries ago. Stretching from North Parur and Kodungalloor in Kerala, the project has reinstated the historical and cultural significance of the renowned port of Muziri.
"We are humbled by this huge honour for our state. The award is an acknowledgement of the initiative to bring back our tradition and history for the sake of the modern generation, and through it achieve the goal of growth and development for our people. This is an award for the community and stakeholders in the state who are involved in the day-to-day work carried out on the ground to preserve our rich heritage.
"Muziris Heritage Project is a mammoth conservation undertaking never before attempted in our country in recent times in terms of its size and scale."
Commented A.P. Anilkumar, the Minister for Tourism in Kerala.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Enjoy a once in a lifetime Golden Triangle and Beyond India tour visiting various famous monuments along the way
Let India's incredible wonders fascinate and excite you on this wonderful India Tour where you can view many of the country's spectacular sights
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a guided village walk through the local farms and trails where you can interact and learn about the cattle's, crops & lives of the villagers
Take in the sights of the Golden Triangle tour where you will feel transported back in time then head for Dubai the world's most futuristic destination
- Complete your stay with a short break in luxurious Dubai
- Enjoy a horse carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal
- Experience a traditional Rajasthani dinner with a local family
Discover the enchantment of India and marvel at the splendour of the Golden Triangle in style, then follow in the footsteps of the great sultans on a Tiger Safari
- See the Majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, see the Red Fort and then walk down the bustling streets of Chandni Chowk in Delhi
- Tour includes Horse Carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal and Elephant Ride to the Amber Fort
- Discover Ranthambore National Park's Jungle Safari
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
See why India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world on this...