US hotel chains ready to race for Cuba deals
American hotel chains are competing for the beachfront property in Cuba... but who will be the first to get a foothold as restrictions ease?
Executives from many major US hotel chains have started to show their interest in Cuba in recent months. There have been a number of talks with hotel chains and Cuban officials as the USA loosens the restrictions on American firms operating on the island.
Some of the major brands that have had talks with Cuban officials include Hilton Worldwide, Carlson Hospitality Group and Marriot International.
In July, the American and Cuban government restored their diplomatic relations in July, after a trade embargo and decades of cold hostility. Washington relaxed this trade embargo for the first time in nearly half a century, allowing companies to establish joint ventures and subsidiaries as well as making it possible for them to open warehouses, stores and offices in Cuba.
The USA hopes for a deal that allows US airlines to schedule Cuba flights and they hope that this happens as soon as possible. There is speculation that the US ban on tourists visiting Cuba could soon be eased, as at the moment tourists are not permitted to visit the island unless they meet special criteria.
However, even with the slight ease in travel restrictions there has been a record three million visitors to Cuba last year and this is expected to boom if all travel restrictions are removed.
At the moment, US hotel chains are not able to invest in Cuba because there are restrictions prohibiting American companies from investing and setting up in the Communist nation. Even if these sanctions were lifted, Cuba has traditionally been very slow in approving foreign investment projects.
Rivals from Europe and Canada have seized the opportunity and have been operating and investing in Cuban hotels and resorts for many years. American hotels hope to secure long term leases on resort developments, so that they can start developing their brand in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...