US hotel chains ready to race for Cuba deals
American hotel chains are competing for the beachfront property in Cuba... but who will be the first to get a foothold as restrictions ease?
Executives from many major US hotel chains have started to show their interest in Cuba in recent months. There have been a number of talks with hotel chains and Cuban officials as the USA loosens the restrictions on American firms operating on the island.
Some of the major brands that have had talks with Cuban officials include Hilton Worldwide, Carlson Hospitality Group and Marriot International.
In July, the American and Cuban government restored their diplomatic relations in July, after a trade embargo and decades of cold hostility. Washington relaxed this trade embargo for the first time in nearly half a century, allowing companies to establish joint ventures and subsidiaries as well as making it possible for them to open warehouses, stores and offices in Cuba.
The USA hopes for a deal that allows US airlines to schedule Cuba flights and they hope that this happens as soon as possible. There is speculation that the US ban on tourists visiting Cuba could soon be eased, as at the moment tourists are not permitted to visit the island unless they meet special criteria.
However, even with the slight ease in travel restrictions there has been a record three million visitors to Cuba last year and this is expected to boom if all travel restrictions are removed.
At the moment, US hotel chains are not able to invest in Cuba because there are restrictions prohibiting American companies from investing and setting up in the Communist nation. Even if these sanctions were lifted, Cuba has traditionally been very slow in approving foreign investment projects.
Rivals from Europe and Canada have seized the opportunity and have been operating and investing in Cuban hotels and resorts for many years. American hotels hope to secure long term leases on resort developments, so that they can start developing their brand in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...