US hotel chains ready to race for Cuba deals
American hotel chains are competing for the beachfront property in Cuba... but who will be the first to get a foothold as restrictions ease?
Executives from many major US hotel chains have started to show their interest in Cuba in recent months. There have been a number of talks with hotel chains and Cuban officials as the USA loosens the restrictions on American firms operating on the island.
Some of the major brands that have had talks with Cuban officials include Hilton Worldwide, Carlson Hospitality Group and Marriot International.
In July, the American and Cuban government restored their diplomatic relations in July, after a trade embargo and decades of cold hostility. Washington relaxed this trade embargo for the first time in nearly half a century, allowing companies to establish joint ventures and subsidiaries as well as making it possible for them to open warehouses, stores and offices in Cuba.
The USA hopes for a deal that allows US airlines to schedule Cuba flights and they hope that this happens as soon as possible. There is speculation that the US ban on tourists visiting Cuba could soon be eased, as at the moment tourists are not permitted to visit the island unless they meet special criteria.
However, even with the slight ease in travel restrictions there has been a record three million visitors to Cuba last year and this is expected to boom if all travel restrictions are removed.
At the moment, US hotel chains are not able to invest in Cuba because there are restrictions prohibiting American companies from investing and setting up in the Communist nation. Even if these sanctions were lifted, Cuba has traditionally been very slow in approving foreign investment projects.
Rivals from Europe and Canada have seized the opportunity and have been operating and investing in Cuban hotels and resorts for many years. American hotels hope to secure long term leases on resort developments, so that they can start developing their brand in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...