Riviera Maya expects to receive 4.5 million visitors in 2015
The Riviera Maya near Cancun in Mexico is expecting to receive 4.5 million tourists this year, according to tourism executives who spoke at the recent ILTM Americas which was held at Fairmont Mayakoba. The numbers are up from 4.4 million last year, and 1.2 million in 2000. With 80 miles of coastline and strict development limits, the region is a popular destination for sun holidays.
The Riviera Maya in Mexico is looking to receive 4.5 million travellers this year, as the destination grows in popularity among foreign visitors.
According to tourism executives who spoke at ILTM Americas, which was held at the Fairmont Mayakoba in the Riviera Maya recently, this number is up from last year's 4.4 million, and 1.2 million arrivals in 2000.
The CEO of the region's tourist board, Dario Flota Ocampo revealed that hotel occupancy during the same period increased from 14,870 rooms to 42,011, and new hotel openings include the Thompson Playa del Carmen which will open this month with a rooftop infinity pool, bar, and Catch, an outpost of the popular restaurant in New York.
With 80 miles of coastline and strict developments limits on the height of buildings, the Riviera Maya is a popular uncrowded holiday destination that attracts American and Canadian visitors in the winter and European tourists in the summer.
The tropical area is home to more than 12 five-star hotels and resorts including the Mayakoba development, Fairmont, Banyan Tree, and Rosewood. There are also more than a dozen branded spas and seven championship golf courses.
Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boasts some of the world's most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
Travellers can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; relax on white sand, pristine beaches; or have fun adventures at the Xplor Park with 14 zip-lines in two circuits stretching over 2.4 miles.
The area offers an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
The Regional Director for North America for the Mexico Tourism Board, said that 2014 set a record with more than 29 million international arrivals in the country, with travellers from the U.S. growing by more than one million.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...