Riviera Maya expects to receive 4.5 million visitors in 2015
The Riviera Maya near Cancun in Mexico is expecting to receive 4.5 million tourists this year, according to tourism executives who spoke at the recent ILTM Americas which was held at Fairmont Mayakoba. The numbers are up from 4.4 million last year, and 1.2 million in 2000. With 80 miles of coastline and strict development limits, the region is a popular destination for sun holidays.
The Riviera Maya in Mexico is looking to receive 4.5 million travellers this year, as the destination grows in popularity among foreign visitors.
According to tourism executives who spoke at ILTM Americas, which was held at the Fairmont Mayakoba in the Riviera Maya recently, this number is up from last year's 4.4 million, and 1.2 million arrivals in 2000.
The CEO of the region's tourist board, Dario Flota Ocampo revealed that hotel occupancy during the same period increased from 14,870 rooms to 42,011, and new hotel openings include the Thompson Playa del Carmen which will open this month with a rooftop infinity pool, bar, and Catch, an outpost of the popular restaurant in New York.
With 80 miles of coastline and strict developments limits on the height of buildings, the Riviera Maya is a popular uncrowded holiday destination that attracts American and Canadian visitors in the winter and European tourists in the summer.
The tropical area is home to more than 12 five-star hotels and resorts including the Mayakoba development, Fairmont, Banyan Tree, and Rosewood. There are also more than a dozen branded spas and seven championship golf courses.
Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boasts some of the world's most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
Travellers can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; relax on white sand, pristine beaches; or have fun adventures at the Xplor Park with 14 zip-lines in two circuits stretching over 2.4 miles.
The area offers an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
The Regional Director for North America for the Mexico Tourism Board, said that 2014 set a record with more than 29 million international arrivals in the country, with travellers from the U.S. growing by more than one million.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Whether looking for a relaxing retreat with your partner, or simply searching for some peace and intimacy by yourself, a...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...