Riviera Maya expects to receive 4.5 million visitors in 2015
The Riviera Maya near Cancun in Mexico is expecting to receive 4.5 million tourists this year, according to tourism executives who spoke at the recent ILTM Americas which was held at Fairmont Mayakoba. The numbers are up from 4.4 million last year, and 1.2 million in 2000. With 80 miles of coastline and strict development limits, the region is a popular destination for sun holidays.
The Riviera Maya in Mexico is looking to receive 4.5 million travellers this year, as the destination grows in popularity among foreign visitors.
According to tourism executives who spoke at ILTM Americas, which was held at the Fairmont Mayakoba in the Riviera Maya recently, this number is up from last year's 4.4 million, and 1.2 million arrivals in 2000.
The CEO of the region's tourist board, Dario Flota Ocampo revealed that hotel occupancy during the same period increased from 14,870 rooms to 42,011, and new hotel openings include the Thompson Playa del Carmen which will open this month with a rooftop infinity pool, bar, and Catch, an outpost of the popular restaurant in New York.
With 80 miles of coastline and strict developments limits on the height of buildings, the Riviera Maya is a popular uncrowded holiday destination that attracts American and Canadian visitors in the winter and European tourists in the summer.
The tropical area is home to more than 12 five-star hotels and resorts including the Mayakoba development, Fairmont, Banyan Tree, and Rosewood. There are also more than a dozen branded spas and seven championship golf courses.
Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boasts some of the world's most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
Travellers can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; relax on white sand, pristine beaches; or have fun adventures at the Xplor Park with 14 zip-lines in two circuits stretching over 2.4 miles.
The area offers an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
The Regional Director for North America for the Mexico Tourism Board, said that 2014 set a record with more than 29 million international arrivals in the country, with travellers from the U.S. growing by more than one million.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...