Riviera Maya expects to receive 4.5 million visitors in 2015
The Riviera Maya near Cancun in Mexico is expecting to receive 4.5 million tourists this year, according to tourism executives who spoke at the recent ILTM Americas which was held at Fairmont Mayakoba. The numbers are up from 4.4 million last year, and 1.2 million in 2000. With 80 miles of coastline and strict development limits, the region is a popular destination for sun holidays.
The Riviera Maya in Mexico is looking to receive 4.5 million travellers this year, as the destination grows in popularity among foreign visitors.
According to tourism executives who spoke at ILTM Americas, which was held at the Fairmont Mayakoba in the Riviera Maya recently, this number is up from last year's 4.4 million, and 1.2 million arrivals in 2000.
The CEO of the region's tourist board, Dario Flota Ocampo revealed that hotel occupancy during the same period increased from 14,870 rooms to 42,011, and new hotel openings include the Thompson Playa del Carmen which will open this month with a rooftop infinity pool, bar, and Catch, an outpost of the popular restaurant in New York.
With 80 miles of coastline and strict developments limits on the height of buildings, the Riviera Maya is a popular uncrowded holiday destination that attracts American and Canadian visitors in the winter and European tourists in the summer.
The tropical area is home to more than 12 five-star hotels and resorts including the Mayakoba development, Fairmont, Banyan Tree, and Rosewood. There are also more than a dozen branded spas and seven championship golf courses.
Riviera Maya is located approximately 40 miles south of Cancun and boasts some of the world's most beautiful natural landscapes and wildlife species.
Travellers can hike through spectacular nature parks and reserves; snorkel or scuba dive in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters; relax on white sand, pristine beaches; or have fun adventures at the Xplor Park with 14 zip-lines in two circuits stretching over 2.4 miles.
The area offers an array of ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, and Xcaret.
The Regional Director for North America for the Mexico Tourism Board, said that 2014 set a record with more than 29 million international arrivals in the country, with travellers from the U.S. growing by more than one million.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at The Grand Lifestyle at...