The Plateno Hotels Group's luxury Portofino brand is set to launch in Sri Lanka
As part of its Asia growth strategy, the Plateno Hotel Group will launch its Portofino luxury brand in Sri Lanka. The China based hotel group recently took over the management of the Ranna 212 Beach Resort in Tangalle and will launch the rebranded resort as the Portfino Resort Tangalle in September 2015.
After taking over the management of the Ranna 212 Beach Resort in Tangalle, China’s Plateno Hotels Group- the seventh largest hotel group in the world, is set to launch its luxury Portofino brand in the south coast of Sri Lanka. The resort will be rebranded as the Portofino Resort Tangalle and is scheduled to open its doors in September 2015.
With 34 rooms, 21 suits, an outdoor swimming pool and breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean the Portofino Resort Tangalle is expected to be a favourite among travellers interested in luxury holidays to Sri Lanka. The securing of the management deal for the Portofino Resort Tangalle forms part of the Plateno Groups South and Southeast Asia growth strategy. This marks the group’s second hotel in Sri Lanka after signing the ZMAX hotel in Colombo, scheduled to open in 2017, earlier this year.
Plateno’s first foray into the Sri Lankan market comes at a time when the country’s tourism industry is booming. Recent statistics indicate that Sri Lanka has already surpassed the one million visitor mark during the first seven months of 2015, a notable 16.8 per cent growth on the same period last year. Western European countries, China and the rest of Asia are said to be the largest source markets to Sri Lanka thus far for 2015. Despite the milestone Dr Rohantha Athukoral the Chairman of the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotions Bureau is however advocating a shift from focusing on the number of arrivals to a focus on attracting travellers with larger budgets. He said:
"Sri Lanka must stop chasing visitor arrival numbers but focus on attracting the $250 per day guests into the country if we are to make the industry financially viable"
According to Dr Athukorala, due to the high cost of construction and labour in Sri Lanka hotels would struggle without targeting luxury travellers. Based on Dr Athukorala’s logic, the Plateno Group’s luxury Portofino brand is well positioned to make a valuable contribution to the Sri Lankan tourism industry by attracting the coveted luxury travellers.
Founded in 2005, the Plateno Hotels Group now has 14 different brands in its portfolio including luxury brands such as Portofino, MaisonAlbar and H12 hotels, midscale brands like Zmax, James Joyce Coffetel and Lavande Hotels as well as more affordable brands such as 7 Days Premium, 7 Days Inn and IU Hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Settle into a haven of tranquility at a luxury boutique hotel that is a member of the prestigious Small Luxury Hotels of the World
- Offers a wide range of facilities including Bike Riding, Windsurfing, Kite Surfing & more
- Accommodation designed by the World-Famous local Architect Geoffrey Bawa
- Enjoy a choice of Wines specially selected for Jetwing
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...