The Plateno Hotels Group's luxury Portofino brand is set to launch in Sri Lanka
As part of its Asia growth strategy, the Plateno Hotel Group will launch its Portofino luxury brand in Sri Lanka. The China based hotel group recently took over the management of the Ranna 212 Beach Resort in Tangalle and will launch the rebranded resort as the Portfino Resort Tangalle in September 2015.
After taking over the management of the Ranna 212 Beach Resort in Tangalle, China’s Plateno Hotels Group- the seventh largest hotel group in the world, is set to launch its luxury Portofino brand in the south coast of Sri Lanka. The resort will be rebranded as the Portofino Resort Tangalle and is scheduled to open its doors in September 2015.
With 34 rooms, 21 suits, an outdoor swimming pool and breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean the Portofino Resort Tangalle is expected to be a favourite among travellers interested in luxury holidays to Sri Lanka. The securing of the management deal for the Portofino Resort Tangalle forms part of the Plateno Groups South and Southeast Asia growth strategy. This marks the group’s second hotel in Sri Lanka after signing the ZMAX hotel in Colombo, scheduled to open in 2017, earlier this year.
Plateno’s first foray into the Sri Lankan market comes at a time when the country’s tourism industry is booming. Recent statistics indicate that Sri Lanka has already surpassed the one million visitor mark during the first seven months of 2015, a notable 16.8 per cent growth on the same period last year. Western European countries, China and the rest of Asia are said to be the largest source markets to Sri Lanka thus far for 2015. Despite the milestone Dr Rohantha Athukoral the Chairman of the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotions Bureau is however advocating a shift from focusing on the number of arrivals to a focus on attracting travellers with larger budgets. He said:
"Sri Lanka must stop chasing visitor arrival numbers but focus on attracting the $250 per day guests into the country if we are to make the industry financially viable"
According to Dr Athukorala, due to the high cost of construction and labour in Sri Lanka hotels would struggle without targeting luxury travellers. Based on Dr Athukorala’s logic, the Plateno Group’s luxury Portofino brand is well positioned to make a valuable contribution to the Sri Lankan tourism industry by attracting the coveted luxury travellers.
Founded in 2005, the Plateno Hotels Group now has 14 different brands in its portfolio including luxury brands such as Portofino, MaisonAlbar and H12 hotels, midscale brands like Zmax, James Joyce Coffetel and Lavande Hotels as well as more affordable brands such as 7 Days Premium, 7 Days Inn and IU Hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...