Kerala launches Clean Destination Project as part of its Visit Kerala Campaign
Various tourism stakeholders in Kerala including residents, hoteliers and the Kerala Tourism Department gathered together to launch the Clean Destination Project at Kerala's Fort Kochi beach. The clean up campaign is just one of the initiatives aimed at enticing more travellers to Visit Kerala.
On Friday 5th of June 2015 a year long cleanliness drive was launched at Kerala's Fort Kochi Beach.
The Clean Destination Project, the launch of which coincided with World Environment Day, is a joint initiative by a number of key stakeholders including Kochi Cooperation, Kerala Travel Mart, local hotels and the Kerala Tourism Department.
Kochi Mayor Tony Chammany explained:
"The effort is to convert beach and adjoining areas into a clean destination as the State Tourism Department has launched a Visit Kerala campaign".
As a pilot project under the initiative, volunteers gathered together to clean the Fort Kochi Beach and its adjoining areas. Additionally, several waste bins and pay and use toilet have been installed at the beach and some local agencies have even offered to install security cameras at the beach. Moving forward a monthly mass cleaning drive has been planned.
Officials have stated that, should this pilot project prove to be a success, similar initiatives will be rolled out in other centers in Kerala.
In 2014, in addition to local arrivals from across India, 923,000 foreign travellers booked holidays in Kerala now with the launch of the Visit Kerala campaign officials are expect a 12-15 percent growth in arrivals in 2015.
Apart from the Clean Destination Project, other initiatives that he been put forward to boost arrivals include the extension of the Visa On Arrival (VOA) with Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) scheme making it possible for travellers from 43 nations to travel to Kerala without having to first obtain a visa from the India embassies in their home countries.
"With the extension of the VOA facility, we expect a positive impact for the tourism sector as arriving in Kerala has become more hassle-free for many countries. This will see an increase in the number of foreign visitors to the state."
Stated Kerala Tourism Secretary G Kamala Vardhana in a recent interview.
Included in list of countries now eligible for an online tourist visa are Australia and New Zealand both of which have been identified as key source markets for Kerala with a respective 60 and 68 percent year-on-year increase in arrivals from Australia and New Zealand in 2014.
A delegation from the Kerala Tourism Department recently embarked on a tourism road show in New Zealand after successfully completing two similar shows in Sydney and Melbourne Australia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Enjoy a stay upon an enchanting Houseboat
- English speaking guide
- Enjoy a private tour with an extra £99 per person, £300 off the usual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
Discover the enchantment of India and marvel at the splendour of the Golden Triangle in style, then follow in the footsteps of the great sultans on a Tiger Safari
- See the Majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, see the Red Fort and then walk down the bustling streets of Chandni Chowk in Delhi
- Tour includes Horse Carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal and Elephant Ride to the Amber Fort
- Discover Ranthambore National Park's Jungle Safari
Follow in the footsteps of the characters from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Film on This Amazing India Tour
Go on a holiday like no other on this stunning India tour visting various famous sights sure to live long in the memory
- You will visit the famous 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel', Ravla Khempur was originally a tribal chieftain's palace but now it operates as an equestrian hotel in the village of Khempur
- During this tour you will have the services of an Englsih speaking local guide all transfers will be in air conditioned vehicles
- Take advantage of the various extras include on the tour such as an Elephant ride at Amber Fort, Bicycle Rickshaw in Old Delhi and a fabulous lunch at Castle Kanota
A magical 14 nights experience awaits for you with Glimpses of Kerala and Superior Golden Triangle tour
- Delight yourself in the culinary Indian adventure and enjoy the fabulous Kathakali dance performance
- All transfers, excursions and sightseeing tours will be by air-conditioned Large Car
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...