Kerala launches Clean Destination Project as part of its Visit Kerala Campaign
Various tourism stakeholders in Kerala including residents, hoteliers and the Kerala Tourism Department gathered together to launch the Clean Destination Project at Kerala's Fort Kochi beach. The clean up campaign is just one of the initiatives aimed at enticing more travellers to Visit Kerala.
On Friday 5th of June 2015 a year long cleanliness drive was launched at Kerala's Fort Kochi Beach.
The Clean Destination Project, the launch of which coincided with World Environment Day, is a joint initiative by a number of key stakeholders including Kochi Cooperation, Kerala Travel Mart, local hotels and the Kerala Tourism Department.
Kochi Mayor Tony Chammany explained:
"The effort is to convert beach and adjoining areas into a clean destination as the State Tourism Department has launched a Visit Kerala campaign".
As a pilot project under the initiative, volunteers gathered together to clean the Fort Kochi Beach and its adjoining areas. Additionally, several waste bins and pay and use toilet have been installed at the beach and some local agencies have even offered to install security cameras at the beach. Moving forward a monthly mass cleaning drive has been planned.
Officials have stated that, should this pilot project prove to be a success, similar initiatives will be rolled out in other centers in Kerala.
In 2014, in addition to local arrivals from across India, 923,000 foreign travellers booked holidays in Kerala now with the launch of the Visit Kerala campaign officials are expect a 12-15 percent growth in arrivals in 2015.
Apart from the Clean Destination Project, other initiatives that he been put forward to boost arrivals include the extension of the Visa On Arrival (VOA) with Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) scheme making it possible for travellers from 43 nations to travel to Kerala without having to first obtain a visa from the India embassies in their home countries.
"With the extension of the VOA facility, we expect a positive impact for the tourism sector as arriving in Kerala has become more hassle-free for many countries. This will see an increase in the number of foreign visitors to the state."
Stated Kerala Tourism Secretary G Kamala Vardhana in a recent interview.
Included in list of countries now eligible for an online tourist visa are Australia and New Zealand both of which have been identified as key source markets for Kerala with a respective 60 and 68 percent year-on-year increase in arrivals from Australia and New Zealand in 2014.
A delegation from the Kerala Tourism Department recently embarked on a tourism road show in New Zealand after successfully completing two similar shows in Sydney and Melbourne Australia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Be moved by India's icons; from the majestic Taj Mahal to the natural beauty of Keoladeo National Park - this is India at its best.
- Experience the Royal Maharaja lifestyle with a stay in a wonderful Bharatpur Palace
- Discover the magnificent City Palace Museum and enjoy an authentic Rajasthani feast in Jaipur
- See Humayun's Tomb in Delhi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the first garden-tomb on the Indian subcontinent
Journey through the heart of India exploring various monuments including The Taj Mahal and The Golden Temple in Amritsar
Go on a holiday of a lifetime visiting many of the must see tourist spots and more secluded parts that will memorable memories
- Visit the Wagah border to experience the amazing "Lowering of the Flag" ceremony a once in a lifetime activity to witness
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and enjoy two fabolous dinners in Amritsar
Go for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and get a fuller taste of India when you combine culture and village lifestyle traditions.
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- This is a journey through the heart of India to explore the old and new part of Delhi the capital city, the Taj Mahal in Agra and much more
- During the tour you will be staying at fabulous comfortable hotels that are all 4* and above
Discover the enchantment of India and marvel at the splendour of the Golden Triangle in style, then follow in the footsteps of the great sultans on a Tiger Safari
- See the Majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, see the Red Fort and then walk down the bustling streets of Chandni Chowk in Delhi
- Tour includes Horse Carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal and Elephant Ride to the Amber Fort
- Discover Ranthambore National Park's Jungle Safari
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...