Kerala launches Clean Destination Project as part of its Visit Kerala Campaign
Various tourism stakeholders in Kerala including residents, hoteliers and the Kerala Tourism Department gathered together to launch the Clean Destination Project at Kerala's Fort Kochi beach. The clean up campaign is just one of the initiatives aimed at enticing more travellers to Visit Kerala.
On Friday 5th of June 2015 a year long cleanliness drive was launched at Kerala's Fort Kochi Beach.
The Clean Destination Project, the launch of which coincided with World Environment Day, is a joint initiative by a number of key stakeholders including Kochi Cooperation, Kerala Travel Mart, local hotels and the Kerala Tourism Department.
Kochi Mayor Tony Chammany explained:
"The effort is to convert beach and adjoining areas into a clean destination as the State Tourism Department has launched a Visit Kerala campaign".
As a pilot project under the initiative, volunteers gathered together to clean the Fort Kochi Beach and its adjoining areas. Additionally, several waste bins and pay and use toilet have been installed at the beach and some local agencies have even offered to install security cameras at the beach. Moving forward a monthly mass cleaning drive has been planned.
Officials have stated that, should this pilot project prove to be a success, similar initiatives will be rolled out in other centers in Kerala.
In 2014, in addition to local arrivals from across India, 923,000 foreign travellers booked holidays in Kerala now with the launch of the Visit Kerala campaign officials are expect a 12-15 percent growth in arrivals in 2015.
Apart from the Clean Destination Project, other initiatives that he been put forward to boost arrivals include the extension of the Visa On Arrival (VOA) with Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) scheme making it possible for travellers from 43 nations to travel to Kerala without having to first obtain a visa from the India embassies in their home countries.
"With the extension of the VOA facility, we expect a positive impact for the tourism sector as arriving in Kerala has become more hassle-free for many countries. This will see an increase in the number of foreign visitors to the state."
Stated Kerala Tourism Secretary G Kamala Vardhana in a recent interview.
Included in list of countries now eligible for an online tourist visa are Australia and New Zealand both of which have been identified as key source markets for Kerala with a respective 60 and 68 percent year-on-year increase in arrivals from Australia and New Zealand in 2014.
A delegation from the Kerala Tourism Department recently embarked on a tourism road show in New Zealand after successfully completing two similar shows in Sydney and Melbourne Australia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Enjoy a private tour with an extra £99 per person, £300 off the usual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
- Relax on the backwaters of Kerala upon an enchanting Houseboat
- Knowledgable, English speaking guide
Explore India's famed landmarks and rich culture on an all-encompassing adventure that leaves no stone unturned
- Call now to upgrade to a private tour, including a private car and driver, and personal local guides
- Envisage many world renowned sights including the Taj Mahal with amazing inclusions to experience such as an exclusive Rajasthani Feast
- During the tour you'll be able to enjoy various extras including a bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, a Chambal River Safari and much more
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the...