Historic Malecon in Havana turns into ice rink for Art Biennial
The waterfront in Havana will become an ice skating rink for the next month as part of the 2015 Havana Biennial art festival. The historic Malecon in the capital of Cuba will host the open-air ice rink which has been installed by New York artist Duke Riley, who is one of many U.S artists showcasing their work.
Cuba's capital will host an open-air ice skating rink for the next month as part of the Havana Biennal art festival.
The historic seafront Malecon in Havana has been transformed into a place where visitors will swap their flip flops for ice skates, after New York artist installed an open-air ice rink.
Duke Riley is one of many artists from the United States taking part in the Havana Biennial alongside local Cuban artists, and he says that his Malecon ice rink relates to the recent diplomatic thaw between Cuba and the U.S.
The Havana Biennial, which runs from 22nd May to 22nd June, 2015, began in 1984 to showcase Latin American and Caribbean art, and over the last 31 years, it has become one of the best art fairs in the world. The festival showcases artwork by artists from all over the globe including Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. With the recent changes to American travel to Cuba, the festival could see an influx of American artists at the next event.
U.S President Obama recently announced that following a decades-long embargo, relations will be resumed between the U.S and Cuba which has lead to further travel restrictions being eased for American residents. General tourism has not yet been approved as a reason to visit the country, but Americans can visit for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories, without having to obtain a licence.
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO heritage site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Cuba is a communist island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas, which boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, the world's second largest barrier reef; and historic cities with a vibrant culture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...