New York's Soccer Team Cosmos played in Cuba first match in 16 years
The New York soccer team Cosmos travelled to Cuba this week to play a game against the island for the first time in years. The U.S team arrived in Havana last Sunday ahead of the game on Tuesday, making them the first professional American sports team to play a game with the Caribbean island in 16 years.
A New York soccer team has become the first American professional sports team to play a game with Cuba in 16 years, following the recent changes in U.S-Cuba relations.
Cosmos arrived in Havana on a private charter flight Sunday ahead of a soccer game against Cuba on Tuesday at the Pedro Marrero Stadium.
The team was joined by the Brazilian former player Pele who has been battling a number of health problems over recent months. Pele played for Cosmos alongside Franz Beckenbauer and Giorgio Chinaglia in the team's 1970s heyday.
Planning for this week's match in Havana started earlier this year, when the Cosmos first approached officials in the US and Cuba about organising a game. Erik Stover, the Chief Executive of Cosmos, explained:
"It became pretty real pretty fast, and we had to just take the steps in good order and get everybody on board. Whether it was the State Department, Justice Department, White House.
"We went down (to Washington), very quietly, and they were immediately supportive."
Giovanni Savarese, the coach of Cosmos, went to Jamaica in January and talked to Cuban officials during the regional qualifiers for the Under-20 World Cup. Mr Savarese commented:
"I had the chance to come to the president of the Cuban national federation. I said 'We would like to play a match against you'. At the beginning, he said 'Okay, let's talk about it. Where are you coming from?'
"I said 'New York, and we are the New York Cosmos.' His eyes opened up."
The team's visit is a breakthrough following a five-decades-long embargo between the United States and Cuba, which has recently changed as the two countries agreed to resume relations.
Cosmos do not play in Major League Soccer, the biggest US league, but they compete in NASL, and are one of the country's most recognised football teams who often take the show on the road to play friendlies in countries such as Hong Kong and El Salvador. Cuba will be their 42nd country to visit.
"No other team, past or present, gets close. The club has a history of travelling overseas, opening doors. This happened naturally, very quickly. There was instant reciprocity from both sides, wanting to do the game."
Explained Seamus O'Brien, the Chairman of Cosmos.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...