New York's Soccer Team Cosmos played in Cuba first match in 16 years
The New York soccer team Cosmos travelled to Cuba this week to play a game against the island for the first time in years. The U.S team arrived in Havana last Sunday ahead of the game on Tuesday, making them the first professional American sports team to play a game with the Caribbean island in 16 years.
A New York soccer team has become the first American professional sports team to play a game with Cuba in 16 years, following the recent changes in U.S-Cuba relations.
Cosmos arrived in Havana on a private charter flight Sunday ahead of a soccer game against Cuba on Tuesday at the Pedro Marrero Stadium.
The team was joined by the Brazilian former player Pele who has been battling a number of health problems over recent months. Pele played for Cosmos alongside Franz Beckenbauer and Giorgio Chinaglia in the team's 1970s heyday.
Planning for this week's match in Havana started earlier this year, when the Cosmos first approached officials in the US and Cuba about organising a game. Erik Stover, the Chief Executive of Cosmos, explained:
"It became pretty real pretty fast, and we had to just take the steps in good order and get everybody on board. Whether it was the State Department, Justice Department, White House.
"We went down (to Washington), very quietly, and they were immediately supportive."
Giovanni Savarese, the coach of Cosmos, went to Jamaica in January and talked to Cuban officials during the regional qualifiers for the Under-20 World Cup. Mr Savarese commented:
"I had the chance to come to the president of the Cuban national federation. I said 'We would like to play a match against you'. At the beginning, he said 'Okay, let's talk about it. Where are you coming from?'
"I said 'New York, and we are the New York Cosmos.' His eyes opened up."
The team's visit is a breakthrough following a five-decades-long embargo between the United States and Cuba, which has recently changed as the two countries agreed to resume relations.
Cosmos do not play in Major League Soccer, the biggest US league, but they compete in NASL, and are one of the country's most recognised football teams who often take the show on the road to play friendlies in countries such as Hong Kong and El Salvador. Cuba will be their 42nd country to visit.
"No other team, past or present, gets close. The club has a history of travelling overseas, opening doors. This happened naturally, very quickly. There was instant reciprocity from both sides, wanting to do the game."
Explained Seamus O'Brien, the Chairman of Cosmos.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th June 2017
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
- Exclusive Singles offer at Paradisus Princesa Del Mar – No single supplement for Summer 2017 - Limited Availability
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...