Chinese firm and Cuban government plan to build new golf resort in Varadero Beach
The Cuban government and a Chinese company have signed a letter of intent that will see the construction of a brand new golf course and resort. The golf resort will be located between Havana and Varadero Beach and will have a marina, condominiums and hotels. It will be the second golf course on the Caribbean island.
A letter of intent has been signed by a Chinese company and the Cuban government to build a brand new golf resort and course on the Caribbean island.
The golf course will join Cuba’s only 18-hole golf course and it will be located on the northern coast between Havana City and Varadero Beach. The resort will have a golf course, marina, condominiums and hotels,
A similar agreement was signed last year by a British company signed a similar agreement for a site east of the Varadero Beach resort and construction is due to start in 2016.
The Cuban government said that it is planning to eventually have at least 12 golf resorts on the island. Cuba could soon become a popular destination for beach and golf holidays following the announcement late last year that Cuba and the United States would re-establish diplomatic relations after 54-years-long embargo.
In Cuba, Juventud Rebelde newspaper reported the following:
"The president of the Beijing Enterprise Group and business director of the tourism ministry, Wuang Dong and Jose Reinaldo Daniel, respectively, signed the letter of intent, which that gave the green light to initiate the project."
President Obama has relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for Americans and they can now visit the island for non-tourism related purposes including religious, academic, cultural people to people programmes, and educational activities.
Cuba is a nation situated in the Caribbean Sea that is home to a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Varadero is a coastal resort in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast. The region is one of the most popular destinations for beach breaks due to more than 20km of pristine white sand beaches and a collection of upscale beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...