Chinese firm and Cuban government plan to build new golf resort in Varadero Beach
The Cuban government and a Chinese company have signed a letter of intent that will see the construction of a brand new golf course and resort. The golf resort will be located between Havana and Varadero Beach and will have a marina, condominiums and hotels. It will be the second golf course on the Caribbean island.
A letter of intent has been signed by a Chinese company and the Cuban government to build a brand new golf resort and course on the Caribbean island.
The golf course will join Cuba’s only 18-hole golf course and it will be located on the northern coast between Havana City and Varadero Beach. The resort will have a golf course, marina, condominiums and hotels,
A similar agreement was signed last year by a British company signed a similar agreement for a site east of the Varadero Beach resort and construction is due to start in 2016.
The Cuban government said that it is planning to eventually have at least 12 golf resorts on the island. Cuba could soon become a popular destination for beach and golf holidays following the announcement late last year that Cuba and the United States would re-establish diplomatic relations after 54-years-long embargo.
In Cuba, Juventud Rebelde newspaper reported the following:
"The president of the Beijing Enterprise Group and business director of the tourism ministry, Wuang Dong and Jose Reinaldo Daniel, respectively, signed the letter of intent, which that gave the green light to initiate the project."
President Obama has relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for Americans and they can now visit the island for non-tourism related purposes including religious, academic, cultural people to people programmes, and educational activities.
Cuba is a nation situated in the Caribbean Sea that is home to a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Varadero is a coastal resort in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast. The region is one of the most popular destinations for beach breaks due to more than 20km of pristine white sand beaches and a collection of upscale beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...