Chinese firm and Cuban government plan to build new golf resort in Varadero Beach
The Cuban government and a Chinese company have signed a letter of intent that will see the construction of a brand new golf course and resort. The golf resort will be located between Havana and Varadero Beach and will have a marina, condominiums and hotels. It will be the second golf course on the Caribbean island.
A letter of intent has been signed by a Chinese company and the Cuban government to build a brand new golf resort and course on the Caribbean island.
The golf course will join Cuba’s only 18-hole golf course and it will be located on the northern coast between Havana City and Varadero Beach. The resort will have a golf course, marina, condominiums and hotels,
A similar agreement was signed last year by a British company signed a similar agreement for a site east of the Varadero Beach resort and construction is due to start in 2016.
The Cuban government said that it is planning to eventually have at least 12 golf resorts on the island. Cuba could soon become a popular destination for beach and golf holidays following the announcement late last year that Cuba and the United States would re-establish diplomatic relations after 54-years-long embargo.
In Cuba, Juventud Rebelde newspaper reported the following:
"The president of the Beijing Enterprise Group and business director of the tourism ministry, Wuang Dong and Jose Reinaldo Daniel, respectively, signed the letter of intent, which that gave the green light to initiate the project."
President Obama has relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for Americans and they can now visit the island for non-tourism related purposes including religious, academic, cultural people to people programmes, and educational activities.
Cuba is a nation situated in the Caribbean Sea that is home to a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Varadero is a coastal resort in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast. The region is one of the most popular destinations for beach breaks due to more than 20km of pristine white sand beaches and a collection of upscale beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...