Chinese firm and Cuban government plan to build new golf resort in Varadero Beach
The Cuban government and a Chinese company have signed a letter of intent that will see the construction of a brand new golf course and resort. The golf resort will be located between Havana and Varadero Beach and will have a marina, condominiums and hotels. It will be the second golf course on the Caribbean island.
A letter of intent has been signed by a Chinese company and the Cuban government to build a brand new golf resort and course on the Caribbean island.
The golf course will join Cuba’s only 18-hole golf course and it will be located on the northern coast between Havana City and Varadero Beach. The resort will have a golf course, marina, condominiums and hotels,
A similar agreement was signed last year by a British company signed a similar agreement for a site east of the Varadero Beach resort and construction is due to start in 2016.
The Cuban government said that it is planning to eventually have at least 12 golf resorts on the island. Cuba could soon become a popular destination for beach and golf holidays following the announcement late last year that Cuba and the United States would re-establish diplomatic relations after 54-years-long embargo.
In Cuba, Juventud Rebelde newspaper reported the following:
"The president of the Beijing Enterprise Group and business director of the tourism ministry, Wuang Dong and Jose Reinaldo Daniel, respectively, signed the letter of intent, which that gave the green light to initiate the project."
President Obama has relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for Americans and they can now visit the island for non-tourism related purposes including religious, academic, cultural people to people programmes, and educational activities.
Cuba is a nation situated in the Caribbean Sea that is home to a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Varadero is a coastal resort in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast. The region is one of the most popular destinations for beach breaks due to more than 20km of pristine white sand beaches and a collection of upscale beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...