Cuban entrepreneurs launch online portal for private car hire
A trio of enterprising young men in Cuba have just launched a new website offering their services as private taxi drivers to travellers planning to move about during their holidays in Cuba. The newly launched site yotellevocuba.com allows potential foreign visitors to directly contact a network of local drivers and obtain a quote from them prior to their arrival to the island - a pioneering new service never before seen in the island that allows travellers to budget ahead and plan accordingly.
A pioneering trio of young Cubans have pioneered in the online market of private transportation services after launching a new website under the domain yotellevocuba.com and thus becoming the first online private car hire provider in the Cuba.
At the time of writing the website simply serves as a means of contacting an organised community of drivers via email to obtain a direct quote from them ahead of arranging travel to Cuba. But further down the line, the website could become more interactive and informative, as the government-run telecommunications provider, ETECSA, starts offering data packages to individuals; something that is expected to happen some time soon.
For the moment being internet in Cuba is still very limited and precarious, so the functionality of this new website can only stretch as far as allowing users to send an email to providers with their travel requirements in Cuba and after reviewing their request, a group of up to three different drivers will get back to them with a personal quote each. Clients can then choose the best priced quote or the proposal that looks more appealing or befitting to their needs.
Personal email access in the island is still more a rarity than the norm, so the founders of this new online company spoke of their hardship in collecting a decent amount of drivers to work with them.
Speaking of the difficulties he faced lining up the drivers, the CEO of Yotellevo, who was contacted via email but preferred to remain anonymous, said:
"I've been in the streets convincing them, but also found some by emailing them directly, of course many of them don't have an email account.
"Also many of them are used to be hired the moment of the ride and are not willing to try us. I've discovered some driver's emails because they promote themselves at some listings sites (revolico, porlalivre, etc).
"Not all respond, but getting a response is a way of confirming they can use the emails and are willing to give our system a try. Also, I check that they are nice people by exchanging emails with them and sharing a few rules."
For now, the company is made up of a team of three – the founder (who works for a state-run software company in a provincial city), his brother who lives in Havana and a friend. A fourth member is a cousin in Texas who helped register the domain and pays for the hosting of yotellevocuba.com.
The team behind Yotellevo (which roughly translates into English as “I will take you there”) says they have rounded up a group of over 20 independent drivers throughout the island, all of which have access to email and can directly respond to tourists’ requests to give individual quotes.
This is the firs website that allows users to plan and organise their travels and transportation in Cuba in advance by putting them directly in touch with up to three drivers who will each provide a personalised quote.
But the more romantic and appealing idea behind it all, is not just about the convenience of allowing visitors to organise their transportation in Cuba and compare fares before committing to anything (without having to commit at all, in fact), it’s about the engagement between visitors and locals during their stay in the island, helping enhance and make their Cuba experience all the more authentic. As Yotellevo writes on their website;
"You're not hiring a driver, you are making a friend who has a taxi and can be your driver -- even when you have to pay."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...