Airbnb launches new website allowing foreign tourists to directly book privately owned accommodation in Cuba
Renting a room in one of Cuba's popular privately owned "casas particulares" will be as easy as operating of few clicks on a newly launched website by Airbnb, an online portal for booking room rentals and homestays from all over the world. Over 1,000 Cuban properties have now been added to Airbnb's online portfolio, allowing Americans to directly book rooms in the island for the first time ever, starting tomorrow.
A global service allowing travellers to directly book over a million of homestays, from all over the world has just launched a new portal for booking room rentals in Cuba.
Becoming the first ever online portal to group over 1,000 Cuban properties island-wide, all bookable at the touch of a click, Airbnb will allow American travellers planning holidays to Cuba (now possible thanks to Obama’s ease of travel restrictions to the island) to directly book accommodation in Cuba’s private sector, an unprecedented move after more than a half-a-century of U.S. trade embargo blocked such businesses from entering the Cuban market.
Cuba’s iconic “casas particulares” always rising in popularity and now increasing in number thanks to the Cuban government’s change in legislation allowing more private businesses to set up, can now be easily booked online and through Airbnb’s mobile app starting this Thursday 9th April.
After a recent spike in searches for “Cuba” on their website, Airbnb had been sending teams of representative to the island in the space of three months, in order to secure contracts with local home owners. At present they feature over one thousand properties across the island, with 40 per cent of these located in the capital city of Havana, while the rest are found in other less trodden tourist destinations like Cienfuegos, just a few hours from the capital on the southern coast.
Regional Director for Airbnb, Kay Kuehne, said of their new move into the Cuban market;
"We believe that Cuba could become one of Airbnb’s biggest markets in Latin America,”
“We are actually plugging into an existing culture of micro-enterprise in Cuba. The hosts in Cuba have been doing for decades what we just started doing seven years ago."
The online portal hopes to expand their number of rooms in Cuba steadily over the coming months and recent changes in the Caribbean island have helped pave the way for this new venture.
Casas particulares are Cuba’s alternative to the classic B&B concept. This style of accommodation provided in local’s private homes was kick-started by the post-Soviet economic crisis of the 1990s where the island looked to tourism as a way to keep their economy floating. But the classic idea of the casas particulares has slowly developed over the years with many of these having now turned into much more sophisticated abodes, where the visitor can rent entire apartments, flats and colonial houses in central Havana to grand multi-room beach houses with the added service of a live-in maid and cook.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...