Airbnb launches new website allowing foreign tourists to directly book privately owned accommodation in Cuba
Renting a room in one of Cuba's popular privately owned "casas particulares" will be as easy as operating of few clicks on a newly launched website by Airbnb, an online portal for booking room rentals and homestays from all over the world. Over 1,000 Cuban properties have now been added to Airbnb's online portfolio, allowing Americans to directly book rooms in the island for the first time ever, starting tomorrow.
A global service allowing travellers to directly book over a million of homestays, from all over the world has just launched a new portal for booking room rentals in Cuba.
Becoming the first ever online portal to group over 1,000 Cuban properties island-wide, all bookable at the touch of a click, Airbnb will allow American travellers planning holidays to Cuba (now possible thanks to Obama’s ease of travel restrictions to the island) to directly book accommodation in Cuba’s private sector, an unprecedented move after more than a half-a-century of U.S. trade embargo blocked such businesses from entering the Cuban market.
Cuba’s iconic “casas particulares” always rising in popularity and now increasing in number thanks to the Cuban government’s change in legislation allowing more private businesses to set up, can now be easily booked online and through Airbnb’s mobile app starting this Thursday 9th April.
After a recent spike in searches for “Cuba” on their website, Airbnb had been sending teams of representative to the island in the space of three months, in order to secure contracts with local home owners. At present they feature over one thousand properties across the island, with 40 per cent of these located in the capital city of Havana, while the rest are found in other less trodden tourist destinations like Cienfuegos, just a few hours from the capital on the southern coast.
Regional Director for Airbnb, Kay Kuehne, said of their new move into the Cuban market;
"We believe that Cuba could become one of Airbnb’s biggest markets in Latin America,”
“We are actually plugging into an existing culture of micro-enterprise in Cuba. The hosts in Cuba have been doing for decades what we just started doing seven years ago."
The online portal hopes to expand their number of rooms in Cuba steadily over the coming months and recent changes in the Caribbean island have helped pave the way for this new venture.
Casas particulares are Cuba’s alternative to the classic B&B concept. This style of accommodation provided in local’s private homes was kick-started by the post-Soviet economic crisis of the 1990s where the island looked to tourism as a way to keep their economy floating. But the classic idea of the casas particulares has slowly developed over the years with many of these having now turned into much more sophisticated abodes, where the visitor can rent entire apartments, flats and colonial houses in central Havana to grand multi-room beach houses with the added service of a live-in maid and cook.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...