Airbnb launches new website allowing foreign tourists to directly book privately owned accommodation in Cuba
Renting a room in one of Cuba's popular privately owned "casas particulares" will be as easy as operating of few clicks on a newly launched website by Airbnb, an online portal for booking room rentals and homestays from all over the world. Over 1,000 Cuban properties have now been added to Airbnb's online portfolio, allowing Americans to directly book rooms in the island for the first time ever, starting tomorrow.
A global service allowing travellers to directly book over a million of homestays, from all over the world has just launched a new portal for booking room rentals in Cuba.
Becoming the first ever online portal to group over 1,000 Cuban properties island-wide, all bookable at the touch of a click, Airbnb will allow American travellers planning holidays to Cuba (now possible thanks to Obama’s ease of travel restrictions to the island) to directly book accommodation in Cuba’s private sector, an unprecedented move after more than a half-a-century of U.S. trade embargo blocked such businesses from entering the Cuban market.
Cuba’s iconic “casas particulares” always rising in popularity and now increasing in number thanks to the Cuban government’s change in legislation allowing more private businesses to set up, can now be easily booked online and through Airbnb’s mobile app starting this Thursday 9th April.
After a recent spike in searches for “Cuba” on their website, Airbnb had been sending teams of representative to the island in the space of three months, in order to secure contracts with local home owners. At present they feature over one thousand properties across the island, with 40 per cent of these located in the capital city of Havana, while the rest are found in other less trodden tourist destinations like Cienfuegos, just a few hours from the capital on the southern coast.
Regional Director for Airbnb, Kay Kuehne, said of their new move into the Cuban market;
"We believe that Cuba could become one of Airbnb’s biggest markets in Latin America,”
“We are actually plugging into an existing culture of micro-enterprise in Cuba. The hosts in Cuba have been doing for decades what we just started doing seven years ago."
The online portal hopes to expand their number of rooms in Cuba steadily over the coming months and recent changes in the Caribbean island have helped pave the way for this new venture.
Casas particulares are Cuba’s alternative to the classic B&B concept. This style of accommodation provided in local’s private homes was kick-started by the post-Soviet economic crisis of the 1990s where the island looked to tourism as a way to keep their economy floating. But the classic idea of the casas particulares has slowly developed over the years with many of these having now turned into much more sophisticated abodes, where the visitor can rent entire apartments, flats and colonial houses in central Havana to grand multi-room beach houses with the added service of a live-in maid and cook.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...