Cuba celebrates record-breaking three million visitors in 2014
Cuba's tourist industry has broken a record after receiving its highest number of tourist arrivals ever in 2014. The island nation received more than three million visitors last year, and 2015 looks set to be even greater after the Caribbean country recorded a 16 per cent increase in visitors in January.
Cuba's travel and tourism sector is celebrating record-breaking visitor numbers after it received more than three million tourists in 2014.
This year is already off to a great start for Cuba after the island nation received 371,160 visitors in January, a 16 per cent increase compared to the same month last year.
More than 51,000 more tourists travelled to the island in January with the majority visiting from Canada, followed by Germany, UK, France, Italy, Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico, Spain, and Russia.
The country also saw an increase in travellers from Poland, Switzerland, Chile, China and Austria.
The cruise industry in Cuba has also seen impressive results with a huge 76 per cent increase in the number of port calls and cruise passengers just in the month of January alone.
Cuba is an island country in the Caribbean Sea which has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States due to the travel embargo since 1962.
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Varadero Beach is a popular tourist destination that is located in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula and is home to 20 km of pristine beaches and upscale hotels and resorts. Villa Clara boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks, while the Jardines del Rey is a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
Travel restrictions for U.S residents have recently been relaxed by President Obama's administration. While tourism has not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, American residents can visit the island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories, and licences for these trips are no longer required.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...