Cuba celebrates record-breaking three million visitors in 2014
Cuba's tourist industry has broken a record after receiving its highest number of tourist arrivals ever in 2014. The island nation received more than three million visitors last year, and 2015 looks set to be even greater after the Caribbean country recorded a 16 per cent increase in visitors in January.
Cuba's travel and tourism sector is celebrating record-breaking visitor numbers after it received more than three million tourists in 2014.
This year is already off to a great start for Cuba after the island nation received 371,160 visitors in January, a 16 per cent increase compared to the same month last year.
More than 51,000 more tourists travelled to the island in January with the majority visiting from Canada, followed by Germany, UK, France, Italy, Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico, Spain, and Russia.
The country also saw an increase in travellers from Poland, Switzerland, Chile, China and Austria.
The cruise industry in Cuba has also seen impressive results with a huge 76 per cent increase in the number of port calls and cruise passengers just in the month of January alone.
Cuba is an island country in the Caribbean Sea which has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States due to the travel embargo since 1962.
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Varadero Beach is a popular tourist destination that is located in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula and is home to 20 km of pristine beaches and upscale hotels and resorts. Villa Clara boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks, while the Jardines del Rey is a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
Travel restrictions for U.S residents have recently been relaxed by President Obama's administration. While tourism has not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, American residents can visit the island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories, and licences for these trips are no longer required.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...