Cuba celebrates record-breaking three million visitors in 2014
Cuba's tourist industry has broken a record after receiving its highest number of tourist arrivals ever in 2014. The island nation received more than three million visitors last year, and 2015 looks set to be even greater after the Caribbean country recorded a 16 per cent increase in visitors in January.
Cuba's travel and tourism sector is celebrating record-breaking visitor numbers after it received more than three million tourists in 2014.
This year is already off to a great start for Cuba after the island nation received 371,160 visitors in January, a 16 per cent increase compared to the same month last year.
More than 51,000 more tourists travelled to the island in January with the majority visiting from Canada, followed by Germany, UK, France, Italy, Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico, Spain, and Russia.
The country also saw an increase in travellers from Poland, Switzerland, Chile, China and Austria.
The cruise industry in Cuba has also seen impressive results with a huge 76 per cent increase in the number of port calls and cruise passengers just in the month of January alone.
Cuba is an island country in the Caribbean Sea which has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States due to the travel embargo since 1962.
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Varadero Beach is a popular tourist destination that is located in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula and is home to 20 km of pristine beaches and upscale hotels and resorts. Villa Clara boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks, while the Jardines del Rey is a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
Travel restrictions for U.S residents have recently been relaxed by President Obama's administration. While tourism has not yet been approved as a reason to visit Cuba, American residents can visit the island for educational, religious, academic and cultural and family purposes across 12 categories, and licences for these trips are no longer required.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...