Cuba becoming even more accessible for American holidaymakers
With relations between Cuba and the US improving dramatically in recent times the island that has for so long been the forbidden fruit of the Caribbean is now becoming even more accessible for US holidaymakers. Travel agencies are eager to meet the growing demand for travel to Cuba with one online agency offering indirect flights to Cuba.
The United States continues to take significant strides in normalizing relations with Cuba and one of the benefits of the ongoing efforts to improve the relationship between the two countries is easier access to Cuba for American holidaymakers.
Americans booking travel to Cuba must still have a "purposeful" reason for their trip with all visits required to fall into one of 12 categories including religious, journalistic, humanitarian or family visits, however, it is no longer necessary to apply for permission from the federal government.
The floodgates are not open quite yet though as the federal government reserves the right to ask for details of an individual's trip, in the form of an itinerary or hotel receipt for example, and direct commercial flights to Cuba from America are not yet available.
US and Cuban aviation officials have recently met to thrash out plans to re establish regular direct flights between the two countries. Travel agencies are eager to cash in on the opportunity that the more relaxed travel restrictions provide.
California based travel agency CheapAir was the first online agency to offer indirect commercial flights to Cuba via Mexico or Panama and Florida based ferry companies are said to be preparing to offer a catamaran service between the Florida Keys and Havana while Travel search engine Kayak have now begun to include results for flights to Cuba and hotels in Cuba.
Already demand for flights to Cuba has skyrocketed. The CEO of CheapAir, Jeff Klee, following his firm's decision to offer commercial flights to Cuba. Mr Klee explained:
"When we first announced it, the traffic was so overwhelming it brought us down for a little while. For the first couple of hours, we had over 10,000 searches."
Recent legislation had been put forward to Congress to permanently drop all travel restrictions between the USA and Cuba. In the event that Congress approves the proposal, many expect that even more Americans will develop a taste for, what has for so long been, the forbidden fruit of the Caribbean.
The IMF has predicted that should the embargo be fully lifted, the number of US holidaymakers travelling to Cuba could easily double from the current 90 000 per year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...