Cuba becoming even more accessible for American holidaymakers
With relations between Cuba and the US improving dramatically in recent times the island that has for so long been the forbidden fruit of the Caribbean is now becoming even more accessible for US holidaymakers. Travel agencies are eager to meet the growing demand for travel to Cuba with one online agency offering indirect flights to Cuba.
The United States continues to take significant strides in normalizing relations with Cuba and one of the benefits of the ongoing efforts to improve the relationship between the two countries is easier access to Cuba for American holidaymakers.
Americans booking travel to Cuba must still have a "purposeful" reason for their trip with all visits required to fall into one of 12 categories including religious, journalistic, humanitarian or family visits, however, it is no longer necessary to apply for permission from the federal government.
The floodgates are not open quite yet though as the federal government reserves the right to ask for details of an individual's trip, in the form of an itinerary or hotel receipt for example, and direct commercial flights to Cuba from America are not yet available.
US and Cuban aviation officials have recently met to thrash out plans to re establish regular direct flights between the two countries. Travel agencies are eager to cash in on the opportunity that the more relaxed travel restrictions provide.
California based travel agency CheapAir was the first online agency to offer indirect commercial flights to Cuba via Mexico or Panama and Florida based ferry companies are said to be preparing to offer a catamaran service between the Florida Keys and Havana while Travel search engine Kayak have now begun to include results for flights to Cuba and hotels in Cuba.
Already demand for flights to Cuba has skyrocketed. The CEO of CheapAir, Jeff Klee, following his firm's decision to offer commercial flights to Cuba. Mr Klee explained:
"When we first announced it, the traffic was so overwhelming it brought us down for a little while. For the first couple of hours, we had over 10,000 searches."
Recent legislation had been put forward to Congress to permanently drop all travel restrictions between the USA and Cuba. In the event that Congress approves the proposal, many expect that even more Americans will develop a taste for, what has for so long been, the forbidden fruit of the Caribbean.
The IMF has predicted that should the embargo be fully lifted, the number of US holidaymakers travelling to Cuba could easily double from the current 90 000 per year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...