First direct flight from New York to Havana is announced
As a direct effect of the thawing of Cuba-U.S. relations, the first direct flight in decades, connecting New York to Havana has been announced to take off on 17th March 2015. A Boeing 737-800 will be linking the two cities again with a weekly frequency while an additional charter flight connecting Florida to Cuba's capital will also start operating.
North American travel agencies have begun to operate direct charter flights from New York to Havana once again after decades of interrupted services between the two cities.
A direct effect of President Obama’s efforts to normalise relations between Cuba and the U.S., this could mark the very first step in a new era of unrestricted travel for Americans to Cuba.
According to a release by Business Insider, Miami-based travel agency, Cuba Travel Services recently announced that it will begin operating a new direct weekly flight departing from New York and landing in Havana, starting next month on 17th March 2015. Similarly another charter flight linking the south of Florida to the Caribbean will be added to the already existing routes between Florida and Havana.
The company gave further details about the new flight operations to Cuba detailing that passengers flying the new route would be carried aboard a Boeing-737-800 which would be hired from American airline, Sun Country. The new flights to Cuba will depart from New York’s JFK airport and two fixed fares have been published: $849 for standard return tickets and $1334 if flying in business class.
This new flight to Cuba is the latest to join other charter services already operating from the south of Florida to the capital of the Caribbean island, the cost of which oscillates between $400 and $450.
The new measures taken this year by the U.S. government which have included steps towards opening a U.S. embassy in Cuba and establishing new business ties between American and Cuban telecommunication companies, also aim to loosen up restrictions for Americans to travel to Cuba. For the first time Americans are being encouraged by their government to go and discover for themselves what had been for decades American travellers’ only forbidden fruit.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...