First direct flight from New York to Havana is announced
As a direct effect of the thawing of Cuba-U.S. relations, the first direct flight in decades, connecting New York to Havana has been announced to take off on 17th March 2015. A Boeing 737-800 will be linking the two cities again with a weekly frequency while an additional charter flight connecting Florida to Cuba's capital will also start operating.
North American travel agencies have begun to operate direct charter flights from New York to Havana once again after decades of interrupted services between the two cities.
A direct effect of President Obama’s efforts to normalise relations between Cuba and the U.S., this could mark the very first step in a new era of unrestricted travel for Americans to Cuba.
According to a release by Business Insider, Miami-based travel agency, Cuba Travel Services recently announced that it will begin operating a new direct weekly flight departing from New York and landing in Havana, starting next month on 17th March 2015. Similarly another charter flight linking the south of Florida to the Caribbean will be added to the already existing routes between Florida and Havana.
The company gave further details about the new flight operations to Cuba detailing that passengers flying the new route would be carried aboard a Boeing-737-800 which would be hired from American airline, Sun Country. The new flights to Cuba will depart from New York’s JFK airport and two fixed fares have been published: $849 for standard return tickets and $1334 if flying in business class.
This new flight to Cuba is the latest to join other charter services already operating from the south of Florida to the capital of the Caribbean island, the cost of which oscillates between $400 and $450.
The new measures taken this year by the U.S. government which have included steps towards opening a U.S. embassy in Cuba and establishing new business ties between American and Cuban telecommunication companies, also aim to loosen up restrictions for Americans to travel to Cuba. For the first time Americans are being encouraged by their government to go and discover for themselves what had been for decades American travellers’ only forbidden fruit.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero.
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...