First direct flight from New York to Havana is announced
As a direct effect of the thawing of Cuba-U.S. relations, the first direct flight in decades, connecting New York to Havana has been announced to take off on 17th March 2015. A Boeing 737-800 will be linking the two cities again with a weekly frequency while an additional charter flight connecting Florida to Cuba's capital will also start operating.
North American travel agencies have begun to operate direct charter flights from New York to Havana once again after decades of interrupted services between the two cities.
A direct effect of President Obama’s efforts to normalise relations between Cuba and the U.S., this could mark the very first step in a new era of unrestricted travel for Americans to Cuba.
According to a release by Business Insider, Miami-based travel agency, Cuba Travel Services recently announced that it will begin operating a new direct weekly flight departing from New York and landing in Havana, starting next month on 17th March 2015. Similarly another charter flight linking the south of Florida to the Caribbean will be added to the already existing routes between Florida and Havana.
The company gave further details about the new flight operations to Cuba detailing that passengers flying the new route would be carried aboard a Boeing-737-800 which would be hired from American airline, Sun Country. The new flights to Cuba will depart from New York’s JFK airport and two fixed fares have been published: $849 for standard return tickets and $1334 if flying in business class.
This new flight to Cuba is the latest to join other charter services already operating from the south of Florida to the capital of the Caribbean island, the cost of which oscillates between $400 and $450.
The new measures taken this year by the U.S. government which have included steps towards opening a U.S. embassy in Cuba and establishing new business ties between American and Cuban telecommunication companies, also aim to loosen up restrictions for Americans to travel to Cuba. For the first time Americans are being encouraged by their government to go and discover for themselves what had been for decades American travellers’ only forbidden fruit.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...