Costa Rica's high season off to a good start
Thousands of holidaymakers will flock to Costa Rica in the first quarter of the year to escape the bitter cold. The swarms of international arrivals are a testament to the popularity of Costa Rica holidays, however industry insiders are aware that high costs may be driving travellers, particularly those from the US, to up and coming destinations like Nicaragua and Cuba.
After the usual lull in December, high season has officially hit Costa Rica with thousands of travellers from everywhere but specially from North America and Europe travelling to Costa Rica to escape the harsh winters.
In a very recent interview one observer noted to the Tico Times about the sudden influx of holidaymakers in the small costal town of Nosara, he commented full of surprise:
"It was ridiculous, One day you're walking on the beach, and there's nobody. The next day, you're like, Where did all these people come from?"
Most Costa Ricans will confess that crowds of holidaymakers are a good problem to have. A local taco shop in Nosara named Taco Taco sold hundreds of tacos in a single day, and even being forced to close 45 minutes early with nothing left to sell. Hotels, most of which are sold out during this time, also look forward to the peak season especially in high end areas like Nosara where rooms can average at $100 a night.
For most travellers Costa Rica is not just another sunny destination to escape the winter cold. Costa Rica's unique combination of beautiful beaches and diverse flora and fauna has given the country a reputation as one of the leading eco tourism destinations in the world with eco tours in Costa Rica contributing a vital part of the local tourism sector's revenues. However, holidaymakers are noting that Costa Rica's pristine beauty comes at a price with many stating that the South American destination was not as affordable as they would have hoped.
One traveller John Cross stated:
"We came to Costa Rica for the nature. It's quite popular in England right now. It's similar to prices back home, so we kind of realized that it wasn't cheap".
Mr Cross also noted his surprise at the steep prices, especially in comparison to holiday destinations he had visited in Asia; when asked, he stated that he was doubtful that he would have chosen Costa Rica again had he known of the high costs.
Holidaymakers are not the only ones concerned about the high prices, with locals also concerned that their $2.2 billion industry is at risk especially with nearby countries like Nicaragua rising up the ranks of recommended holiday destinations.
In a recent interview with The Tico Times, the executive director of the Costa Rican Chamber of Hotels, Flora Ayub, expressed her concerns that both Nicaragua and Cuba posed a threat to Costa Rica's standing as the destination of choice for American holidaymakers particularly because of Costa Rica's higher costs.
Despite the challenges that Costa Rica's faces to secure its position in the long term, the recent start to the high season is an indication that Costa Rica is still one of the world's best loved destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore Edit
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
Overview Costa Ricans will all agree that the Caribbean side of the country has a culture of its own. Coconut in every...