Walcott House in St Lucia to become major arts centre
Walcott House in St Lucia will be reconstructed as part of a new arts project. The Walcott Place and Grass Street Urban Enhancement Project has received its first instalment of funding that will change the building into a new theatre arts complex with exhibition space, an experimental black-box theatre, and a reference library.
Walcott House, the former home of brothers Derek and Roderick Walcott is to become a major new arts centre.
The Walcott Place and Grass Street Urban Enhancement Project has received its first instalment of funding from the government of Taiwan that will transform the property into an arts centre that will feature exhibition space, an experimental black-box theatre, and a reference library.
Walcott House, which was once the family home of the winner of the 1992 Nobel Prize for Literature, Derek Walcott, will become a museum and gallery for visitors.
“It was small, and even back then would have been surrounded by a mix of working class people, and yet, within those walls, a single mother raised three children,” explained Dr Kenny Anthony, the St Lucia Prime Minister.
"Poems were written, plays were rehearsed, children were taught to sew, carnival costumes were manufactured, pans were struck in the yard and paintings were conceived. A realisation of people’s greatness was sparked there."
The government of Taiwan provided $500,000 for the first phase of the arts project and it will provide $2.8 million in total.
St Lucia is an island nation in the Caribbean that is a renowned for its natural beauty made up of the majestic UNESCO designated mountainous peaks – The Pitons, emerald rolling hills, and miles of white sandy beaches where holidaymakers can enjoy a variety of water sports and fun activities.
The 238-square-mile island certainly lives up to its tagline ‘Simply Beautiful’ and as the recipient of multiple international awards, it is a hotpot for romantic destination weddings, honeymoons, and family holidays.
The country is home to the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls, the famous Anse Chastanet beach, and one of the world’s only drive-thru volcanoes. Tourists can explore the harbour town and island capital of Castries; hike through Pigeon Island National Park, which boasts the old British military base, Fort Rodney; sample delicious cuisine in the south-western town of Soufriere, or relax and enjoy pampering treatments in spas in luxury beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Two Kids (4-12 years) stay and eat free
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its breathtaking views and its golden sand
- Book 7 nights and get US$150 Resort Credit per room category per stay
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Exclusive Half Term special offer, limited availability so book now!
- Kids can enjoy a playground as well as a kids' club open daily for 2 to 11 year olds
- Non-motorised water sports including hobie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
- $1000 worth of complimentary resort credit
- Save up to a fantastic 60% plus up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
Discover Castries lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of up to 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...