Walcott House in St Lucia to become major arts centre
Walcott House in St Lucia will be reconstructed as part of a new arts project. The Walcott Place and Grass Street Urban Enhancement Project has received its first instalment of funding that will change the building into a new theatre arts complex with exhibition space, an experimental black-box theatre, and a reference library.
Walcott House, the former home of brothers Derek and Roderick Walcott is to become a major new arts centre.
The Walcott Place and Grass Street Urban Enhancement Project has received its first instalment of funding from the government of Taiwan that will transform the property into an arts centre that will feature exhibition space, an experimental black-box theatre, and a reference library.
Walcott House, which was once the family home of the winner of the 1992 Nobel Prize for Literature, Derek Walcott, will become a museum and gallery for visitors.
“It was small, and even back then would have been surrounded by a mix of working class people, and yet, within those walls, a single mother raised three children,” explained Dr Kenny Anthony, the St Lucia Prime Minister.
"Poems were written, plays were rehearsed, children were taught to sew, carnival costumes were manufactured, pans were struck in the yard and paintings were conceived. A realisation of people’s greatness was sparked there."
The government of Taiwan provided $500,000 for the first phase of the arts project and it will provide $2.8 million in total.
St Lucia is an island nation in the Caribbean that is a renowned for its natural beauty made up of the majestic UNESCO designated mountainous peaks – The Pitons, emerald rolling hills, and miles of white sandy beaches where holidaymakers can enjoy a variety of water sports and fun activities.
The 238-square-mile island certainly lives up to its tagline ‘Simply Beautiful’ and as the recipient of multiple international awards, it is a hotpot for romantic destination weddings, honeymoons, and family holidays.
The country is home to the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls, the famous Anse Chastanet beach, and one of the world’s only drive-thru volcanoes. Tourists can explore the harbour town and island capital of Castries; hike through Pigeon Island National Park, which boasts the old British military base, Fort Rodney; sample delicious cuisine in the south-western town of Soufriere, or relax and enjoy pampering treatments in spas in luxury beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway staying on the stunning beachfront of Reduit Beach, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Complimentary Hi-Speed internet access in rooms and free Wi-Fi in all public areas including the beach
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia expericne
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation, a FREE Piton Sunset Cruise, plus an extra £55 off booking bonus with 'The Sandals 2 FOR 1 SALE’
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Burrowed upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Rex Papillion Hotel offers direct access to the pristine white sands of...