Walcott House in St Lucia to become major arts centre
Walcott House in St Lucia will be reconstructed as part of a new arts project. The Walcott Place and Grass Street Urban Enhancement Project has received its first instalment of funding that will change the building into a new theatre arts complex with exhibition space, an experimental black-box theatre, and a reference library.
Walcott House, the former home of brothers Derek and Roderick Walcott is to become a major new arts centre.
The Walcott Place and Grass Street Urban Enhancement Project has received its first instalment of funding from the government of Taiwan that will transform the property into an arts centre that will feature exhibition space, an experimental black-box theatre, and a reference library.
Walcott House, which was once the family home of the winner of the 1992 Nobel Prize for Literature, Derek Walcott, will become a museum and gallery for visitors.
“It was small, and even back then would have been surrounded by a mix of working class people, and yet, within those walls, a single mother raised three children,” explained Dr Kenny Anthony, the St Lucia Prime Minister.
"Poems were written, plays were rehearsed, children were taught to sew, carnival costumes were manufactured, pans were struck in the yard and paintings were conceived. A realisation of people’s greatness was sparked there."
The government of Taiwan provided $500,000 for the first phase of the arts project and it will provide $2.8 million in total.
St Lucia is an island nation in the Caribbean that is a renowned for its natural beauty made up of the majestic UNESCO designated mountainous peaks – The Pitons, emerald rolling hills, and miles of white sandy beaches where holidaymakers can enjoy a variety of water sports and fun activities.
The 238-square-mile island certainly lives up to its tagline ‘Simply Beautiful’ and as the recipient of multiple international awards, it is a hotpot for romantic destination weddings, honeymoons, and family holidays.
The country is home to the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls, the famous Anse Chastanet beach, and one of the world’s only drive-thru volcanoes. Tourists can explore the harbour town and island capital of Castries; hike through Pigeon Island National Park, which boasts the old British military base, Fort Rodney; sample delicious cuisine in the south-western town of Soufriere, or relax and enjoy pampering treatments in spas in luxury beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Experience a fabulous family comfort at Bay Gardens Inn
- Enjoy a taste of the Caribbean at Creole Pot restaurant, with island favourites prepared each morning
- Free daily breakfast and a private terrace and balcony in every room
- Delight in a wide variety of massages and therapies at the beutiful La Mer Spa
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Guests will be delighted by this couples only resort, set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- Book a standard coach transfer and get a FREE Upgrade to a Private Transfer - Must book before 25th October 2016
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of dining options and leisure facilities
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Spoil yourself with eight days of limitless sun and sand on the Caribbean island of St Lucia. One of its brightest...