Havana Bay being redefined as touristic port
Havana's badly weathered and aged harbour is currently undergoing a drastic process of transformation, that will see its now dark, oil-stanched waters, gleam with a new-found air of unpollution, attracting sea life and sea gulls once again and offering passers-by a cleaner, renovated promenade from which to enjoy the most perfect, uninterrupted sunsets with no smoky clouds from oil refineries blurring the view.
At present, if you walk by the harbour in Havana you’ll be able to spot demolition crews and cranes working hard at tearing down the ruined docks. The bayside colonial squares of Havana have already been lovingly restored, and the remodelling of the bay is the final step that would complete the postcard-perfect picture. This ambitious project plans to turn the polluted waterfront into an attractive, atmospheric seaside promenade lined by restaurants, cafes and public parks.
Already well under way is also the construction of a cavernous brewery right on the docks and former loading bay, on the site of a former tobacco warehouse, an edification that is set to become the jewel in the crown of this new project. In-keeping with the dock’s original structure, finishing touches are now being given to its woodwork in anticipation of its official opening, due in a month or so.
But for all this to happen, all of the bay’s shipping activity had to be moved elsewhere, and this is being gradually done as a new huge port develops at the Mariel Bay. This new ambitious project aims to completely transform the Mariel into a massive international harbour welcoming ships from all over the world, from commercial vessels to large cruises.
This new project will not only freshen up the image of the somewhat gritty area, but it will also revitalise the city’s economy, attract more tourists and transfer all commercial activity to the new mega-large port being built in Mariel, some 50 kilometres west of Havana.
Orlando Inclan, an architect that works for the Project Management Department at the Office of the Historian of the City, the government’s institution in charge of this ambitious project, explains;
"There is the possibility of reversing the deterioration of all the southern area of the bay, where there’s a lack of open public spaces, infrastructure and environmental value."
The majority of the reconstruction process is concentrated on Avenida del Puerto (Port Avenue), on the strip that runs from the old Muelle de Caballeria docks all the way up to the old warehouse of Almacenes San Jose (which now houses the largest crafts market in the city, hosting all manner of arts and crafts stalls in its interiors). On this strip you can also find the old Customs buildings, the Emboque de Luz (which will be completely transformed and refreshed whilst in-keeping the original iron structure) and the Wood and Tobacco Docks, which will also receive a makeover.
Orland Inclan adds:
"The bay is symbolic. It is what gave birth to the city and it is part of what we are today,
"Now it's time to redefine it."
A big part of this project includes the reestablishment of Emboque de Luz as a docking station for passengers arriving to the bay in yachts that connect Old Havana to other parts of the city across the bay, such as the municipalities of Regla, Casablanca and Guanabacoa. This two-story structure built in 1909 stopped working during the 1860s and ever since has been in need of repair which it will now receive.
The second phase of restoration works for Almacenes San Jose is also part of this project and it entails the entire remodelling of its second floor, which will be home to a new shopping centre and a theatre.
Likewise the old Aduana building in front of the picturesque San Francisco de Asis Square will be remodelled entirely to rescue all of its original features whilst creating a new parking lot inside with space for up to 400 cars, as well as a shopping centre in the top floor.
Simultaneously, intensive decontamination work has been carried out the bay since 2006, which has seen the closure of several sewage drains and the installation of a new water treatment plant in the Luyano River.
These works are already seeing the fruits of their labour as pelicans and seagulls once again start flying over the bay’s waters, which are now seeing the comeback of some marine species, thanks to work carried out since 1998 to increase the levels of oxygen in the waters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...