Cuba prepares to host the 24th edition of the International Ballet Festival
The 24th edition of Havana's International Ballet Festival will soon be kicking off in a couple of weeks' time, starting 28th October with numerous performances taking the stage until 7th November. Dedicated to English playwright, William Shakespeare, Cuba's capital will see the participation of ballet groups from 61different countries around the world, including the New York City Ballet and groups from Belgium, Germany, Denmark, South Africa, Italy, Hong Kong, France and more.
Next 28th October, the Karl Marx theatre in Havana will be officially opening the city’s 24th International Ballet Festival (24 Festival Internacional de Ballet en La Habana) which will take place over the space of two weeks, with the last performance scheduled for 7th November.
On this year’s edition the festival will be dedicated to the works of English playwright, William Shakespeare, which means that many ballet pieces inspired on his works will be performed over the course of the event’s duration.
Organisers of the event also announced that this edition of the festival would also be paying tribute to the recently deceased Fernando Alonso, co-founder of the Cuban National Ballet in 1948 (along with his famous wife, Alicia Alonso, Cuban prima ballerina assoluta), on the centenary of his birthday. His contribution to Cuba’s ballet scene will be celebrated with a series of magisterial conferences and other commemorative activities.
Heriberto Cabezas, coordinator of this year’s festival, recently explained during a press conference, how in previous editions the festival had counted with the participation of prime international ballet figures and foreign soloists, highlighting the presence of American dancers, such as New York’s Hispanic Ballet, Pontus Lidberg Dance, the Linga Company, the New York City Ballet and Cincinatti.
Audiences attending this year’s 24th edition will be able to enjoy the performances of ballet groups from the UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Hong Kong, China, South Africa, Uruguay, Chile, Puerto Rico, Portugal, and Puerto Rico, among others.
The historian of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba (BNC), Miguel Cabrera, added that this year’s festival will become the oldest of its kind in the world, with the participation of 61 countries, the presence of 73 foreign ballet companies and 981 performances throughout all of its history.
He also explained that this year the festival would open at the Karl Marx theatre with the show Shakespeare and His Masks, inaugurated by Cuba’s prima ballerina assoluta, 92-year-old, Alicia Alonso, while the Mella theatre would host the international guest performers and two of the National Theatre’s auditoriums would be the stages for combined performances and Swan Lake.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...