Cuba prepares to host the 24th edition of the International Ballet Festival
The 24th edition of Havana's International Ballet Festival will soon be kicking off in a couple of weeks' time, starting 28th October with numerous performances taking the stage until 7th November. Dedicated to English playwright, William Shakespeare, Cuba's capital will see the participation of ballet groups from 61different countries around the world, including the New York City Ballet and groups from Belgium, Germany, Denmark, South Africa, Italy, Hong Kong, France and more.
Next 28th October, the Karl Marx theatre in Havana will be officially opening the city’s 24th International Ballet Festival (24 Festival Internacional de Ballet en La Habana) which will take place over the space of two weeks, with the last performance scheduled for 7th November.
On this year’s edition the festival will be dedicated to the works of English playwright, William Shakespeare, which means that many ballet pieces inspired on his works will be performed over the course of the event’s duration.
Organisers of the event also announced that this edition of the festival would also be paying tribute to the recently deceased Fernando Alonso, co-founder of the Cuban National Ballet in 1948 (along with his famous wife, Alicia Alonso, Cuban prima ballerina assoluta), on the centenary of his birthday. His contribution to Cuba’s ballet scene will be celebrated with a series of magisterial conferences and other commemorative activities.
Heriberto Cabezas, coordinator of this year’s festival, recently explained during a press conference, how in previous editions the festival had counted with the participation of prime international ballet figures and foreign soloists, highlighting the presence of American dancers, such as New York’s Hispanic Ballet, Pontus Lidberg Dance, the Linga Company, the New York City Ballet and Cincinatti.
Audiences attending this year’s 24th edition will be able to enjoy the performances of ballet groups from the UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Hong Kong, China, South Africa, Uruguay, Chile, Puerto Rico, Portugal, and Puerto Rico, among others.
The historian of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba (BNC), Miguel Cabrera, added that this year’s festival will become the oldest of its kind in the world, with the participation of 61 countries, the presence of 73 foreign ballet companies and 981 performances throughout all of its history.
He also explained that this year the festival would open at the Karl Marx theatre with the show Shakespeare and His Masks, inaugurated by Cuba’s prima ballerina assoluta, 92-year-old, Alicia Alonso, while the Mella theatre would host the international guest performers and two of the National Theatre’s auditoriums would be the stages for combined performances and Swan Lake.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...