Sri Lanka now home to some of the world's most sophisticated hotels and resorts
CNN recently reported on Sri Lanka's profile as one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean, only a few years after nearly a quarter century of civil war. One of the key indicators of Sri Lanka's booming tourism industry is the rise in the number of sophisticated hotels including the Reefs Edge hotel near the capital Colombo.
A recent CNN article noted Sri Lanka’s rise to becoming one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean after nearly a quarter century of civil war.
The article noted that one indication of the country’s growing tourism industry has been the development of sophisticated hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka. Following the war, major hotel chains like Marriott, Hyatt, Movenpick and Shangri-La were among the first to enter the market in this idyllic, small tropical island. These hoteliers paved the way for other major hotel groups and boutique hotels alike. The article went on to list some the top hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka currently including the St Lachlan, Heritance Tea Factory, Jetwing Vil Uyana, Palagama Beach, Pledge 3 and Reefs Edge.
The Reefs Edge Hotel in particular may be of interest to holidaymakers given its ideal location near the capital. This 22-suite hotel features a jaw-dropping view of the Indian Ocean and all the key luxury amenities needed for a memorable Sri Lanka escape including a day spa, gym and steam room. At the Reefs Edge, guests can enjoy the feel of a secluded island a mere 20 minutes away from Sri Lanka’s capital of Colombo.
Figures released by the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority indicate a 22.4 per cent increase in the number of travellers arriving in Sri Lanka in the first nine months of the year when compared to the same period last year. Notably, the majority of holidaymakers booking a visit to Sri Lanka have been from Western Europe with arrivals from this region increasing by 14.2 per cent. Similarly, arrivals from North America increased by 11.5 per cent and Eastern European arrivals (largely driven by Russia) increased by 37.9 per cent.
With such significant increases in numbers from these key regions, Sri Lanka’s target of two million arrivals in 2015 and 2.5 million in 2016, though ambitious, appear to be well within reach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....