Sri Lanka now home to some of the world's most sophisticated hotels and resorts
CNN recently reported on Sri Lanka's profile as one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean, only a few years after nearly a quarter century of civil war. One of the key indicators of Sri Lanka's booming tourism industry is the rise in the number of sophisticated hotels including the Reefs Edge hotel near the capital Colombo.
A recent CNN article noted Sri Lanka’s rise to becoming one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean after nearly a quarter century of civil war.
The article noted that one indication of the country’s growing tourism industry has been the development of sophisticated hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka. Following the war, major hotel chains like Marriott, Hyatt, Movenpick and Shangri-La were among the first to enter the market in this idyllic, small tropical island. These hoteliers paved the way for other major hotel groups and boutique hotels alike. The article went on to list some the top hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka currently including the St Lachlan, Heritance Tea Factory, Jetwing Vil Uyana, Palagama Beach, Pledge 3 and Reefs Edge.
The Reefs Edge Hotel in particular may be of interest to holidaymakers given its ideal location near the capital. This 22-suite hotel features a jaw-dropping view of the Indian Ocean and all the key luxury amenities needed for a memorable Sri Lanka escape including a day spa, gym and steam room. At the Reefs Edge, guests can enjoy the feel of a secluded island a mere 20 minutes away from Sri Lanka’s capital of Colombo.
Figures released by the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority indicate a 22.4 per cent increase in the number of travellers arriving in Sri Lanka in the first nine months of the year when compared to the same period last year. Notably, the majority of holidaymakers booking a visit to Sri Lanka have been from Western Europe with arrivals from this region increasing by 14.2 per cent. Similarly, arrivals from North America increased by 11.5 per cent and Eastern European arrivals (largely driven by Russia) increased by 37.9 per cent.
With such significant increases in numbers from these key regions, Sri Lanka’s target of two million arrivals in 2015 and 2.5 million in 2016, though ambitious, appear to be well within reach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....