Sri Lanka now home to some of the world's most sophisticated hotels and resorts
CNN recently reported on Sri Lanka's profile as one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean, only a few years after nearly a quarter century of civil war. One of the key indicators of Sri Lanka's booming tourism industry is the rise in the number of sophisticated hotels including the Reefs Edge hotel near the capital Colombo.
A recent CNN article noted Sri Lanka’s rise to becoming one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean after nearly a quarter century of civil war.
The article noted that one indication of the country’s growing tourism industry has been the development of sophisticated hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka. Following the war, major hotel chains like Marriott, Hyatt, Movenpick and Shangri-La were among the first to enter the market in this idyllic, small tropical island. These hoteliers paved the way for other major hotel groups and boutique hotels alike. The article went on to list some the top hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka currently including the St Lachlan, Heritance Tea Factory, Jetwing Vil Uyana, Palagama Beach, Pledge 3 and Reefs Edge.
The Reefs Edge Hotel in particular may be of interest to holidaymakers given its ideal location near the capital. This 22-suite hotel features a jaw-dropping view of the Indian Ocean and all the key luxury amenities needed for a memorable Sri Lanka escape including a day spa, gym and steam room. At the Reefs Edge, guests can enjoy the feel of a secluded island a mere 20 minutes away from Sri Lanka’s capital of Colombo.
Figures released by the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority indicate a 22.4 per cent increase in the number of travellers arriving in Sri Lanka in the first nine months of the year when compared to the same period last year. Notably, the majority of holidaymakers booking a visit to Sri Lanka have been from Western Europe with arrivals from this region increasing by 14.2 per cent. Similarly, arrivals from North America increased by 11.5 per cent and Eastern European arrivals (largely driven by Russia) increased by 37.9 per cent.
With such significant increases in numbers from these key regions, Sri Lanka’s target of two million arrivals in 2015 and 2.5 million in 2016, though ambitious, appear to be well within reach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...