Sri Lanka now home to some of the world's most sophisticated hotels and resorts
CNN recently reported on Sri Lanka's profile as one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean, only a few years after nearly a quarter century of civil war. One of the key indicators of Sri Lanka's booming tourism industry is the rise in the number of sophisticated hotels including the Reefs Edge hotel near the capital Colombo.
A recent CNN article noted Sri Lanka’s rise to becoming one of the leading holiday destinations in the Indian Ocean after nearly a quarter century of civil war.
The article noted that one indication of the country’s growing tourism industry has been the development of sophisticated hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka. Following the war, major hotel chains like Marriott, Hyatt, Movenpick and Shangri-La were among the first to enter the market in this idyllic, small tropical island. These hoteliers paved the way for other major hotel groups and boutique hotels alike. The article went on to list some the top hotels and resorts in Sri Lanka currently including the St Lachlan, Heritance Tea Factory, Jetwing Vil Uyana, Palagama Beach, Pledge 3 and Reefs Edge.
The Reefs Edge Hotel in particular may be of interest to holidaymakers given its ideal location near the capital. This 22-suite hotel features a jaw-dropping view of the Indian Ocean and all the key luxury amenities needed for a memorable Sri Lanka escape including a day spa, gym and steam room. At the Reefs Edge, guests can enjoy the feel of a secluded island a mere 20 minutes away from Sri Lanka’s capital of Colombo.
Figures released by the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority indicate a 22.4 per cent increase in the number of travellers arriving in Sri Lanka in the first nine months of the year when compared to the same period last year. Notably, the majority of holidaymakers booking a visit to Sri Lanka have been from Western Europe with arrivals from this region increasing by 14.2 per cent. Similarly, arrivals from North America increased by 11.5 per cent and Eastern European arrivals (largely driven by Russia) increased by 37.9 per cent.
With such significant increases in numbers from these key regions, Sri Lanka’s target of two million arrivals in 2015 and 2.5 million in 2016, though ambitious, appear to be well within reach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....