Aerolineas Argentinas to operate new flights to Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic
Argentina's flagship carrier, Aerolineas Argentinas (AA) has announced that starting January next year they'll be flying to a new range of Caribbean destinations, namely Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. The South American airline seeks to profit from the sizeable (and growing) market of Argentinean tourists choosing the Caribbean as their favoured holiday destination.
Starting January next year, Aerolineas Argentinas (AA) will start flying to Cuba as well as to other new destinations in the Caribbean as part of a plan to expand their routes to this geographical area.
The news was confirmed very recently by Mariano Recalde, the airline's president, who also explained to Prensa Latina the decision for such a move:
"We decided to fly to Havana and Punta Canca because up until this point those destinations had been served by foreign airline companies, bringing them revenues of between 15 and 18 million dollars per month
"The idea is not to get more Argentineans to travel to the Caribbean, but to allow Aerolineas to participate and take a chunk of that market which looks extremely attractive from a commercial point of view."
The first Buenos Aires - Havana flight will take off on Sunday 4th January 2015, the same month that the new routes to Cancun, Mexico and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic will commence operations, all with stopover in Caracas, Venezuela. The aircraft for these new flights will be a Boeing 737-800 with capacity for up to 170 passengers.
In the case of Cuba, for example, Argentina is the main tourism market responsible for sending the largest number of holidaymakers from South America to the Caribbean island. A total of 94, 697 Argentine tourists flew to the island in 2012, 90,084 flew there in 2013 and this year, in the period from January to August, a total of 50,586 of them have taken Cuba holidays.
Most of these tourists have made their Cuba journey flying with LAN, COPA, TACA and Cubana de Aviacion, although Ecuatorian airline Tame and Colombian airline Avianca have also joined in over the last few months.
AA will start flying to Punta Cana on Saturday 3rd January with three weekly flights (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday), whilst a twice-weekly flight frequency has been established for Cuba on Sundays and Wednesdays. The new route to Cancun will depart on Mondays and Fridays.
Recalde also added that starting April next year new routes to Quito and Guayaquil in Ecuador would kick off.
"This means that once again the continent's flagship will be present" - he said, as those Ecuador routes, previously serviced by Spanish carriers had been closed down.
With this new expansion AA's air operations will increase by 15 per cent in 2015 whilst their number of seats will grow by 16 per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...