Cuba expects 200 cruise ships in 2014/2015 winter season
Cuba is expecting 200 cruise ships this upcoming winter season, according to a tourism official. The president of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe, says that the Caribbean island will see calls from the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams, the Canadian Cuba Cruise, Panorama, and the Star Clippers.
As the winter months approach, so does the Caribbean's high season and travellers all over the world are busy booking their cruise holidays to the tropical region.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is expecting to receive 200 cruise ships during the 2014/2015 season, according to the President of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe.
According to Mr Bisbe, visits by tourist and academic boats and ships are expected to surpass the 2013 record of nearly 200 this winter season.
The high season will start on 29th October 2014, and Cuba is expect the arrival of the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams with capacity for 2, 000 passengers which will call at Havana harbour.
Other arrivals on the winter agenda include Panorama, the Star Clippers, and Canadian Cuba Cruise, which will take tourists on a seven-day tour around the island.
Last week, Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry announced that the city of Cienfuegos, which is located 250 kilometres southeast of Havana, is expecting to receive 53 cruise ships at its port during this winter high season.
Tourism officials are hoping to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number by the end of 2014.
Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country is home to pristine white and golden sand beaches, turquoise ocean waters, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
The country is looking to receive more American travellers this winter season after laws for Cuba travel for U.S residents were relaxed by President Barack Obama in 2011. More Americans have been visiting the island recently thanks to changes that now allow them to travel to the island for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...