Cuba expects 200 cruise ships in 2014/2015 winter season
Cuba is expecting 200 cruise ships this upcoming winter season, according to a tourism official. The president of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe, says that the Caribbean island will see calls from the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams, the Canadian Cuba Cruise, Panorama, and the Star Clippers.
As the winter months approach, so does the Caribbean's high season and travellers all over the world are busy booking their cruise holidays to the tropical region.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is expecting to receive 200 cruise ships during the 2014/2015 season, according to the President of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe.
According to Mr Bisbe, visits by tourist and academic boats and ships are expected to surpass the 2013 record of nearly 200 this winter season.
The high season will start on 29th October 2014, and Cuba is expect the arrival of the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams with capacity for 2, 000 passengers which will call at Havana harbour.
Other arrivals on the winter agenda include Panorama, the Star Clippers, and Canadian Cuba Cruise, which will take tourists on a seven-day tour around the island.
Last week, Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry announced that the city of Cienfuegos, which is located 250 kilometres southeast of Havana, is expecting to receive 53 cruise ships at its port during this winter high season.
Tourism officials are hoping to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number by the end of 2014.
Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country is home to pristine white and golden sand beaches, turquoise ocean waters, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
The country is looking to receive more American travellers this winter season after laws for Cuba travel for U.S residents were relaxed by President Barack Obama in 2011. More Americans have been visiting the island recently thanks to changes that now allow them to travel to the island for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...