Cuba expects 200 cruise ships in 2014/2015 winter season
Cuba is expecting 200 cruise ships this upcoming winter season, according to a tourism official. The president of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe, says that the Caribbean island will see calls from the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams, the Canadian Cuba Cruise, Panorama, and the Star Clippers.
As the winter months approach, so does the Caribbean's high season and travellers all over the world are busy booking their cruise holidays to the tropical region.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is expecting to receive 200 cruise ships during the 2014/2015 season, according to the President of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe.
According to Mr Bisbe, visits by tourist and academic boats and ships are expected to surpass the 2013 record of nearly 200 this winter season.
The high season will start on 29th October 2014, and Cuba is expect the arrival of the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams with capacity for 2, 000 passengers which will call at Havana harbour.
Other arrivals on the winter agenda include Panorama, the Star Clippers, and Canadian Cuba Cruise, which will take tourists on a seven-day tour around the island.
Last week, Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry announced that the city of Cienfuegos, which is located 250 kilometres southeast of Havana, is expecting to receive 53 cruise ships at its port during this winter high season.
Tourism officials are hoping to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number by the end of 2014.
Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country is home to pristine white and golden sand beaches, turquoise ocean waters, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
The country is looking to receive more American travellers this winter season after laws for Cuba travel for U.S residents were relaxed by President Barack Obama in 2011. More Americans have been visiting the island recently thanks to changes that now allow them to travel to the island for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...