Cuba expects 200 cruise ships in 2014/2015 winter season
Cuba is expecting 200 cruise ships this upcoming winter season, according to a tourism official. The president of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe, says that the Caribbean island will see calls from the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams, the Canadian Cuba Cruise, Panorama, and the Star Clippers.
As the winter months approach, so does the Caribbean's high season and travellers all over the world are busy booking their cruise holidays to the tropical region.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is expecting to receive 200 cruise ships during the 2014/2015 season, according to the President of the International Tour Operators and Travel Agents Group Havanatur, Jose Manuel Bisbe.
According to Mr Bisbe, visits by tourist and academic boats and ships are expected to surpass the 2013 record of nearly 200 this winter season.
The high season will start on 29th October 2014, and Cuba is expect the arrival of the British Cruise Ship Thomson Dreams with capacity for 2, 000 passengers which will call at Havana harbour.
Other arrivals on the winter agenda include Panorama, the Star Clippers, and Canadian Cuba Cruise, which will take tourists on a seven-day tour around the island.
Last week, Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry announced that the city of Cienfuegos, which is located 250 kilometres southeast of Havana, is expecting to receive 53 cruise ships at its port during this winter high season.
Tourism officials are hoping to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number by the end of 2014.
Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country is home to pristine white and golden sand beaches, turquoise ocean waters, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
The country is looking to receive more American travellers this winter season after laws for Cuba travel for U.S residents were relaxed by President Barack Obama in 2011. More Americans have been visiting the island recently thanks to changes that now allow them to travel to the island for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...