Cuba expects to meet 3 million foreign tourist target this year
The Tourism Minister of Cuba, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the country is expecting to receive three million foreign visitors by the end of 2014. Marrero stressed the commitment of workers in the tourism sector and he met with youths who are studying a new university course in Tourism in Camaguey who will play a vital role in the island's tourism sector.
Tourism officials in Cuba are expecting to receive three million visitors by the end of the year, according to the country's Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
Marrero stressed the commitment of the workers in the tourism industry in Cuba who were helping to meet this target. The minister met with a group of youths who are taking the new Tourism course at university in the eastern province of Camaguey, and he said that despite the decline in arrivals from specific markets, the nation was still on track to meet receive three million visitors.
Marrero said that the current international world crisis has caused a fall in the number of European and Argentinean tourists to Cuba. He added that the U.S embargo also prohibits American travellers to visit the country, which represents 50 per cent of the tourism market in the Caribbean.
He said that improvements to the island's tourist sector are being addressed, particularly with new hotels and enhancements to the non-state tourist sector such as gastronomy, transportation and craftwork.
While Cuba is famous for its sun and beach tourism, the tourism official added that it is important to combine this with the island's cultural offerings and historic heritage with city tours and visits to lesser-known areas on the island.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, an array of historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The island is home to luxury beachfront resorts, world class golf courses, historic cities, virgin cays, and breathtaking natural scenery, as well as vibrant music and cultural events.
Canada continues to be the main tourist market in Cuba, with 181 269 visitors in the first six months of 2014. This is followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
American tourists are now also permitted to travel to Cuba under licensed people-to-people cultural programmes after President Obama relaxed laws in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...