Cuba expects to meet 3 million foreign tourist target this year
The Tourism Minister of Cuba, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the country is expecting to receive three million foreign visitors by the end of 2014. Marrero stressed the commitment of workers in the tourism sector and he met with youths who are studying a new university course in Tourism in Camaguey who will play a vital role in the island's tourism sector.
Tourism officials in Cuba are expecting to receive three million visitors by the end of the year, according to the country's Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
Marrero stressed the commitment of the workers in the tourism industry in Cuba who were helping to meet this target. The minister met with a group of youths who are taking the new Tourism course at university in the eastern province of Camaguey, and he said that despite the decline in arrivals from specific markets, the nation was still on track to meet receive three million visitors.
Marrero said that the current international world crisis has caused a fall in the number of European and Argentinean tourists to Cuba. He added that the U.S embargo also prohibits American travellers to visit the country, which represents 50 per cent of the tourism market in the Caribbean.
He said that improvements to the island's tourist sector are being addressed, particularly with new hotels and enhancements to the non-state tourist sector such as gastronomy, transportation and craftwork.
While Cuba is famous for its sun and beach tourism, the tourism official added that it is important to combine this with the island's cultural offerings and historic heritage with city tours and visits to lesser-known areas on the island.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, an array of historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The island is home to luxury beachfront resorts, world class golf courses, historic cities, virgin cays, and breathtaking natural scenery, as well as vibrant music and cultural events.
Canada continues to be the main tourist market in Cuba, with 181 269 visitors in the first six months of 2014. This is followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
American tourists are now also permitted to travel to Cuba under licensed people-to-people cultural programmes after President Obama relaxed laws in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...