Cuba expects to meet 3 million foreign tourist target this year
The Tourism Minister of Cuba, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the country is expecting to receive three million foreign visitors by the end of 2014. Marrero stressed the commitment of workers in the tourism sector and he met with youths who are studying a new university course in Tourism in Camaguey who will play a vital role in the island's tourism sector.
Tourism officials in Cuba are expecting to receive three million visitors by the end of the year, according to the country's Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
Marrero stressed the commitment of the workers in the tourism industry in Cuba who were helping to meet this target. The minister met with a group of youths who are taking the new Tourism course at university in the eastern province of Camaguey, and he said that despite the decline in arrivals from specific markets, the nation was still on track to meet receive three million visitors.
Marrero said that the current international world crisis has caused a fall in the number of European and Argentinean tourists to Cuba. He added that the U.S embargo also prohibits American travellers to visit the country, which represents 50 per cent of the tourism market in the Caribbean.
He said that improvements to the island's tourist sector are being addressed, particularly with new hotels and enhancements to the non-state tourist sector such as gastronomy, transportation and craftwork.
While Cuba is famous for its sun and beach tourism, the tourism official added that it is important to combine this with the island's cultural offerings and historic heritage with city tours and visits to lesser-known areas on the island.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, an array of historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The island is home to luxury beachfront resorts, world class golf courses, historic cities, virgin cays, and breathtaking natural scenery, as well as vibrant music and cultural events.
Canada continues to be the main tourist market in Cuba, with 181 269 visitors in the first six months of 2014. This is followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
American tourists are now also permitted to travel to Cuba under licensed people-to-people cultural programmes after President Obama relaxed laws in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...