Sustainable tourism gets a boost in the Caribbean
The Caribbean is set to receive guidance and funding to improve sustainable travel in the region and safeguard the long-term viability of its tourism sector. Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among the first nations to get support from the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA).
Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among seven destinations to receive guidance and funding to support the development of sustainable tourism. In an initiative designed to preserve the long-term viability of the region's tourism sector, the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA) will introduce a toolkit including an assessment, targeted solutions, training and marketing support.
The Sustainable Destination Toolkit has been designed by tourism consultancy Sustainable Travel International, which aims to protect the future of these tourism hubs including the local people, culture and environment. Targeting areas for improvement, the toolkit will provide the framework for implementing solutions, bringing in outside expertise and monitoring the effectiveness of the system in improving tourism sustainability.
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism Director General, Joy Jibrilu, commented:
"The Bahamas' participation in the initiative is important because tourism alone provides an estimated 60 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and employs about half the Bahamian work force.
"Five million tourists arrive annually at the Port of Nassau. Whatever we can do to improve, grow, and ultimately sustain the Port in a responsible way, will benefit everyone, including visitors, cruise lines, and Bahamians."
According to the SDAA, "The Caribbean is the most tourism dependent region in the world. Tourism, in this region, is the single largest contributor to GDP and the biggest employer after the public sector." It said the initiative is important because "the rapid surge in tourism has presented tremendous challenges".
Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Honduras and Nicaragua will also receive sustainable tourism support through the SDAA. The organisation also hopes to extend the initiative to further countries in the future.
The SDAA, which launched in March this year, is the largest ever initiative to unite the public and private sectors to focus on travel sustainability in the Americas. The organisation's partners include the Organization of American States, Caribbean Tourism Organization, Central American Tourism Integration Secretariat, global NGO Sustainable Travel International, Royal Caribbean Cruises and the United States Permanent Mission to the Organization of American States.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...