Sustainable tourism gets a boost in the Caribbean
The Caribbean is set to receive guidance and funding to improve sustainable travel in the region and safeguard the long-term viability of its tourism sector. Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among the first nations to get support from the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA).
Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among seven destinations to receive guidance and funding to support the development of sustainable tourism. In an initiative designed to preserve the long-term viability of the region's tourism sector, the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA) will introduce a toolkit including an assessment, targeted solutions, training and marketing support.
The Sustainable Destination Toolkit has been designed by tourism consultancy Sustainable Travel International, which aims to protect the future of these tourism hubs including the local people, culture and environment. Targeting areas for improvement, the toolkit will provide the framework for implementing solutions, bringing in outside expertise and monitoring the effectiveness of the system in improving tourism sustainability.
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism Director General, Joy Jibrilu, commented:
"The Bahamas' participation in the initiative is important because tourism alone provides an estimated 60 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and employs about half the Bahamian work force.
"Five million tourists arrive annually at the Port of Nassau. Whatever we can do to improve, grow, and ultimately sustain the Port in a responsible way, will benefit everyone, including visitors, cruise lines, and Bahamians."
According to the SDAA, "The Caribbean is the most tourism dependent region in the world. Tourism, in this region, is the single largest contributor to GDP and the biggest employer after the public sector." It said the initiative is important because "the rapid surge in tourism has presented tremendous challenges".
Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Honduras and Nicaragua will also receive sustainable tourism support through the SDAA. The organisation also hopes to extend the initiative to further countries in the future.
The SDAA, which launched in March this year, is the largest ever initiative to unite the public and private sectors to focus on travel sustainability in the Americas. The organisation's partners include the Organization of American States, Caribbean Tourism Organization, Central American Tourism Integration Secretariat, global NGO Sustainable Travel International, Royal Caribbean Cruises and the United States Permanent Mission to the Organization of American States.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...