Sustainable tourism gets a boost in the Caribbean
The Caribbean is set to receive guidance and funding to improve sustainable travel in the region and safeguard the long-term viability of its tourism sector. Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among the first nations to get support from the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA).
Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among seven destinations to receive guidance and funding to support the development of sustainable tourism. In an initiative designed to preserve the long-term viability of the region's tourism sector, the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA) will introduce a toolkit including an assessment, targeted solutions, training and marketing support.
The Sustainable Destination Toolkit has been designed by tourism consultancy Sustainable Travel International, which aims to protect the future of these tourism hubs including the local people, culture and environment. Targeting areas for improvement, the toolkit will provide the framework for implementing solutions, bringing in outside expertise and monitoring the effectiveness of the system in improving tourism sustainability.
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism Director General, Joy Jibrilu, commented:
"The Bahamas' participation in the initiative is important because tourism alone provides an estimated 60 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and employs about half the Bahamian work force.
"Five million tourists arrive annually at the Port of Nassau. Whatever we can do to improve, grow, and ultimately sustain the Port in a responsible way, will benefit everyone, including visitors, cruise lines, and Bahamians."
According to the SDAA, "The Caribbean is the most tourism dependent region in the world. Tourism, in this region, is the single largest contributor to GDP and the biggest employer after the public sector." It said the initiative is important because "the rapid surge in tourism has presented tremendous challenges".
Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Honduras and Nicaragua will also receive sustainable tourism support through the SDAA. The organisation also hopes to extend the initiative to further countries in the future.
The SDAA, which launched in March this year, is the largest ever initiative to unite the public and private sectors to focus on travel sustainability in the Americas. The organisation's partners include the Organization of American States, Caribbean Tourism Organization, Central American Tourism Integration Secretariat, global NGO Sustainable Travel International, Royal Caribbean Cruises and the United States Permanent Mission to the Organization of American States.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...