Sustainable tourism gets a boost in the Caribbean
The Caribbean is set to receive guidance and funding to improve sustainable travel in the region and safeguard the long-term viability of its tourism sector. Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among the first nations to get support from the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA).
Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas are among seven destinations to receive guidance and funding to support the development of sustainable tourism. In an initiative designed to preserve the long-term viability of the region's tourism sector, the Sustainable Destinations Alliance for the Americas (SDAA) will introduce a toolkit including an assessment, targeted solutions, training and marketing support.
The Sustainable Destination Toolkit has been designed by tourism consultancy Sustainable Travel International, which aims to protect the future of these tourism hubs including the local people, culture and environment. Targeting areas for improvement, the toolkit will provide the framework for implementing solutions, bringing in outside expertise and monitoring the effectiveness of the system in improving tourism sustainability.
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism Director General, Joy Jibrilu, commented:
"The Bahamas' participation in the initiative is important because tourism alone provides an estimated 60 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and employs about half the Bahamian work force.
"Five million tourists arrive annually at the Port of Nassau. Whatever we can do to improve, grow, and ultimately sustain the Port in a responsible way, will benefit everyone, including visitors, cruise lines, and Bahamians."
According to the SDAA, "The Caribbean is the most tourism dependent region in the world. Tourism, in this region, is the single largest contributor to GDP and the biggest employer after the public sector." It said the initiative is important because "the rapid surge in tourism has presented tremendous challenges".
Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Honduras and Nicaragua will also receive sustainable tourism support through the SDAA. The organisation also hopes to extend the initiative to further countries in the future.
The SDAA, which launched in March this year, is the largest ever initiative to unite the public and private sectors to focus on travel sustainability in the Americas. The organisation's partners include the Organization of American States, Caribbean Tourism Organization, Central American Tourism Integration Secretariat, global NGO Sustainable Travel International, Royal Caribbean Cruises and the United States Permanent Mission to the Organization of American States.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...