Water sports-related tourism receives a massive boost in Cuba
Cuba is making major investments in their nautical infrastructure in order to keep up with growing demand among an ever-increasing number of international tourists. Major refurbishment works are being currently carried out along of the island's marinas and water sports facilities to comply with international standards and further diversity their nautical offering.
It comes as no surprise to anyone that the warm and crystalline, lagoon-like waters or feisty waves (depending on the region) of Cuba's beaches are ideal for nautical activities, given their idyllic setting, the great all-year-round weather and the fabulous conditions for marine wildlife spotting during snorkelling or scuba diving excursions.
With such fantastic conditions, the popularity of the island as a nautical tourism destination is growing among worldwide holidyamakers choosing Cuba for the country's spectacular beaches and the amazing potential for engaging in all manner of water sports.
The president of Cuba's Marlin Nautical and Marina Management Group, Domingo Cisneros, explained how the nation has been making continuous improvements to their marine facilities all throughout the island, in order to keep up with an ever-growing demand from tourists.
As more and more international tourists opt for sun-kissed holidays, the government has had to push to improve not only the island's hotel infrastructure, but also to extend and improve their water sports offerings. To this end, ongoing development has included the incorporation of new water sports such as kite-surfing or flysurfing as well as Kia Kayak in the southern province of Cienfuegos.
Other nautical activities currently on offer at several of the country's main beach resorts include fishing, liveaboard trips, yacht charter services, scuba diving excursions, snorkelling tours and popular water sports rentals such as kayaks, pedal boats, among others.
The Marlin Group currently owns a fleet of 326 ships, all of which are undergoing (or have already undergone) a thorough modernisation and refurbishment process. The group also has 23 International Diving Centres scattered throughout all of Cuba.
At the moment major investments are being made across popular holiday hotspots in Cuba, such as Varadero, Cayo Blanco, Cayo Largo del Sur and La Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth).
Also under way are plans for the total restoration of the Marina Hemingway in Havana, an iconic quay, which is famous for having the best facilities in the entire island. The home of the annual International Hemingway Billfishing Competition, accommodation options in the Marina Hemingway will also receive a makeover.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...