Water sports-related tourism receives a massive boost in Cuba
Cuba is making major investments in their nautical infrastructure in order to keep up with growing demand among an ever-increasing number of international tourists. Major refurbishment works are being currently carried out along of the island's marinas and water sports facilities to comply with international standards and further diversity their nautical offering.
It comes as no surprise to anyone that the warm and crystalline, lagoon-like waters or feisty waves (depending on the region) of Cuba's beaches are ideal for nautical activities, given their idyllic setting, the great all-year-round weather and the fabulous conditions for marine wildlife spotting during snorkelling or scuba diving excursions.
With such fantastic conditions, the popularity of the island as a nautical tourism destination is growing among worldwide holidyamakers choosing Cuba for the country's spectacular beaches and the amazing potential for engaging in all manner of water sports.
The president of Cuba's Marlin Nautical and Marina Management Group, Domingo Cisneros, explained how the nation has been making continuous improvements to their marine facilities all throughout the island, in order to keep up with an ever-growing demand from tourists.
As more and more international tourists opt for sun-kissed holidays, the government has had to push to improve not only the island's hotel infrastructure, but also to extend and improve their water sports offerings. To this end, ongoing development has included the incorporation of new water sports such as kite-surfing or flysurfing as well as Kia Kayak in the southern province of Cienfuegos.
Other nautical activities currently on offer at several of the country's main beach resorts include fishing, liveaboard trips, yacht charter services, scuba diving excursions, snorkelling tours and popular water sports rentals such as kayaks, pedal boats, among others.
The Marlin Group currently owns a fleet of 326 ships, all of which are undergoing (or have already undergone) a thorough modernisation and refurbishment process. The group also has 23 International Diving Centres scattered throughout all of Cuba.
At the moment major investments are being made across popular holiday hotspots in Cuba, such as Varadero, Cayo Blanco, Cayo Largo del Sur and La Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth).
Also under way are plans for the total restoration of the Marina Hemingway in Havana, an iconic quay, which is famous for having the best facilities in the entire island. The home of the annual International Hemingway Billfishing Competition, accommodation options in the Marina Hemingway will also receive a makeover.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...