Water sports-related tourism receives a massive boost in Cuba
Cuba is making major investments in their nautical infrastructure in order to keep up with growing demand among an ever-increasing number of international tourists. Major refurbishment works are being currently carried out along of the island's marinas and water sports facilities to comply with international standards and further diversity their nautical offering.
It comes as no surprise to anyone that the warm and crystalline, lagoon-like waters or feisty waves (depending on the region) of Cuba's beaches are ideal for nautical activities, given their idyllic setting, the great all-year-round weather and the fabulous conditions for marine wildlife spotting during snorkelling or scuba diving excursions.
With such fantastic conditions, the popularity of the island as a nautical tourism destination is growing among worldwide holidyamakers choosing Cuba for the country's spectacular beaches and the amazing potential for engaging in all manner of water sports.
The president of Cuba's Marlin Nautical and Marina Management Group, Domingo Cisneros, explained how the nation has been making continuous improvements to their marine facilities all throughout the island, in order to keep up with an ever-growing demand from tourists.
As more and more international tourists opt for sun-kissed holidays, the government has had to push to improve not only the island's hotel infrastructure, but also to extend and improve their water sports offerings. To this end, ongoing development has included the incorporation of new water sports such as kite-surfing or flysurfing as well as Kia Kayak in the southern province of Cienfuegos.
Other nautical activities currently on offer at several of the country's main beach resorts include fishing, liveaboard trips, yacht charter services, scuba diving excursions, snorkelling tours and popular water sports rentals such as kayaks, pedal boats, among others.
The Marlin Group currently owns a fleet of 326 ships, all of which are undergoing (or have already undergone) a thorough modernisation and refurbishment process. The group also has 23 International Diving Centres scattered throughout all of Cuba.
At the moment major investments are being made across popular holiday hotspots in Cuba, such as Varadero, Cayo Blanco, Cayo Largo del Sur and La Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth).
Also under way are plans for the total restoration of the Marina Hemingway in Havana, an iconic quay, which is famous for having the best facilities in the entire island. The home of the annual International Hemingway Billfishing Competition, accommodation options in the Marina Hemingway will also receive a makeover.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 20th Sep
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...