Cuba receives two million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has received two million visitors so far this year, with a growth in tourists from Canada, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. According to the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR), the country's tourism is showing a steady pace towards its end of year target of three million international visitors.
The Caribbean island of Cuba looks set to meet its target of three million international visitors by the end of 2014 as its tourism picks up the pace, according to officials from the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR).
Two million tourists have already visited Cuba so far this year and between January and August, there has already been an increase in holidaymakers from Canada, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
The country raised the quality of its services to diversify the national tourism product in order to meet the end of year target for the first time, and this has been aided by new hotel openings in significant destinations such as Havana, Varadero, Coco Cay, Jardines del Rey and Holguin.
According to the latest report released by the National Bureau of Statistics and Information, the period between January and June, 2014 saw 1,660,055 tourists arrive in Cuba, which is a 3.9 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2013.
The report also said that accommodation, food and transport brought the greatest contribution with more than one billion dollars in the first half of this year.
Canada continues to be the main tourist market in Cuba, with 181 269 visitors in the first six months of 2014, and this is followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
American tourists are now also permitted to travel to Cuba under licensed people-to-people cultural programmes after President Obama relaxed laws in 2011.
The Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, an array of historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The island is home to luxury beachfront resorts, historic cities, virgin cays, and breathtaking natural scenery.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...