Cuba receives two million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has received two million visitors so far this year, with a growth in tourists from Canada, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. According to the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR), the country's tourism is showing a steady pace towards its end of year target of three million international visitors.
The Caribbean island of Cuba looks set to meet its target of three million international visitors by the end of 2014 as its tourism picks up the pace, according to officials from the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR).
Two million tourists have already visited Cuba so far this year and between January and August, there has already been an increase in holidaymakers from Canada, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
The country raised the quality of its services to diversify the national tourism product in order to meet the end of year target for the first time, and this has been aided by new hotel openings in significant destinations such as Havana, Varadero, Coco Cay, Jardines del Rey and Holguin.
According to the latest report released by the National Bureau of Statistics and Information, the period between January and June, 2014 saw 1,660,055 tourists arrive in Cuba, which is a 3.9 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2013.
The report also said that accommodation, food and transport brought the greatest contribution with more than one billion dollars in the first half of this year.
Canada continues to be the main tourist market in Cuba, with 181 269 visitors in the first six months of 2014, and this is followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
American tourists are now also permitted to travel to Cuba under licensed people-to-people cultural programmes after President Obama relaxed laws in 2011.
The Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, an array of historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The island is home to luxury beachfront resorts, historic cities, virgin cays, and breathtaking natural scenery.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...