Cuba receives two million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has received two million visitors so far this year, with a growth in tourists from Canada, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. According to the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR), the country's tourism is showing a steady pace towards its end of year target of three million international visitors.
The Caribbean island of Cuba looks set to meet its target of three million international visitors by the end of 2014 as its tourism picks up the pace, according to officials from the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR).
Two million tourists have already visited Cuba so far this year and between January and August, there has already been an increase in holidaymakers from Canada, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
The country raised the quality of its services to diversify the national tourism product in order to meet the end of year target for the first time, and this has been aided by new hotel openings in significant destinations such as Havana, Varadero, Coco Cay, Jardines del Rey and Holguin.
According to the latest report released by the National Bureau of Statistics and Information, the period between January and June, 2014 saw 1,660,055 tourists arrive in Cuba, which is a 3.9 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2013.
The report also said that accommodation, food and transport brought the greatest contribution with more than one billion dollars in the first half of this year.
Canada continues to be the main tourist market in Cuba, with 181 269 visitors in the first six months of 2014, and this is followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
American tourists are now also permitted to travel to Cuba under licensed people-to-people cultural programmes after President Obama relaxed laws in 2011.
The Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, an array of historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The island is home to luxury beachfront resorts, historic cities, virgin cays, and breathtaking natural scenery.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...