Centara Grand Island Beach Resort and Spa Maldives launches coral growth programme
The Centara Grand Island Beach Resort and Spa Maldives has launched a new programme designed to replenish parts of its house reef that have stopped growing. Coral beds are placed within a selected zone inside the lagoon to promote the growth of new coral and guests staying at the luxury Maldives resort can snorkel around the area to see how the progress of the garden is going.
Just very recently Centara Grand Island Beach Resort and Spa Maldives launched a new programme to help replenish parts of its house coral reef.
The upscale resort in the Maldives is regularly enjoyed by holidaymakers, scuba divers and loved-up couples, and to keep up with its policy towards environmental conservation, it has launched a project that will rehabilitate parts of the reef that have stopped growing.
General Manager Voytek Klasicki explains the method that is being used at the luxury beachfront resort to encourage the growth of coral:
"We are harvesting coral fragments from the resort reef and also from nearby reefs, so that we can get a good variety of coral species. These fragments are then planted on discs made from a non-toxic cement, and the discs are attached to coral beds we have placed in a selected zone inside the lagoon.
"Each bed has a different type of coral planted on it, because some corals are territorial, and fight off other coral species."
The bed frames have been constructed using a 10mm reinforcing bar with a mesh that is tied down with cables. Twice a week, staff members check the beds for any algae, which can smother delicate coral fragments. When the corals start to grow, they are transferred to the main reef where they can grow within their natural habitat.
Ibrahim Shaan, the Operations Manager of the Centara resort's dive centre, explained:
"The beds are placed in the lagoon, between the Deluxe Water Villas and the Luxury Sunset Water Villas, where we have also fashioned an 8ft by 4ft replica of the Centara logo. Already this is proving a great attraction for guests, who are enjoying snorkelling around this spot to see how the coral garden is progressing."
Located in the South Ari Atoll, the all-inclusive Maldives resort is a fantastic spot for tropical family-friendly breaks and romantic escapes. With 112 suites and villas, the resort's accommodation has been designed to cater for young ones with Water Villas fitted with child safety features, bunk beds and a PlayStation 3, and it was named as the Leading Family Resort in the Maldives Travel Awards 2013 for the second consecutive year.
Scuba diving and snorkelling guests will be able to can swim in warm waters alongside manta rays, several species of turtles, eagles rays, and schools of tropical fish, and get up close to the fragile reefs, thriving sea gardens, and underwater caves sea walls that are perfect for exploring undiscovered underwater flora and exotic species.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Take your pick from 7 exquisite restaurants and 6 lively bars
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...