Centara Grand Island Beach Resort and Spa Maldives launches coral growth programme
The Centara Grand Island Beach Resort and Spa Maldives has launched a new programme designed to replenish parts of its house reef that have stopped growing. Coral beds are placed within a selected zone inside the lagoon to promote the growth of new coral and guests staying at the luxury Maldives resort can snorkel around the area to see how the progress of the garden is going.
Just very recently Centara Grand Island Beach Resort and Spa Maldives launched a new programme to help replenish parts of its house coral reef.
The upscale resort in the Maldives is regularly enjoyed by holidaymakers, scuba divers and loved-up couples, and to keep up with its policy towards environmental conservation, it has launched a project that will rehabilitate parts of the reef that have stopped growing.
General Manager Voytek Klasicki explains the method that is being used at the luxury beachfront resort to encourage the growth of coral:
"We are harvesting coral fragments from the resort reef and also from nearby reefs, so that we can get a good variety of coral species. These fragments are then planted on discs made from a non-toxic cement, and the discs are attached to coral beds we have placed in a selected zone inside the lagoon.
"Each bed has a different type of coral planted on it, because some corals are territorial, and fight off other coral species."
The bed frames have been constructed using a 10mm reinforcing bar with a mesh that is tied down with cables. Twice a week, staff members check the beds for any algae, which can smother delicate coral fragments. When the corals start to grow, they are transferred to the main reef where they can grow within their natural habitat.
Ibrahim Shaan, the Operations Manager of the Centara resort's dive centre, explained:
"The beds are placed in the lagoon, between the Deluxe Water Villas and the Luxury Sunset Water Villas, where we have also fashioned an 8ft by 4ft replica of the Centara logo. Already this is proving a great attraction for guests, who are enjoying snorkelling around this spot to see how the coral garden is progressing."
Located in the South Ari Atoll, the all-inclusive Maldives resort is a fantastic spot for tropical family-friendly breaks and romantic escapes. With 112 suites and villas, the resort's accommodation has been designed to cater for young ones with Water Villas fitted with child safety features, bunk beds and a PlayStation 3, and it was named as the Leading Family Resort in the Maldives Travel Awards 2013 for the second consecutive year.
Scuba diving and snorkelling guests will be able to can swim in warm waters alongside manta rays, several species of turtles, eagles rays, and schools of tropical fish, and get up close to the fragile reefs, thriving sea gardens, and underwater caves sea walls that are perfect for exploring undiscovered underwater flora and exotic species.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Benifit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters also featuring private sun decks
- The Main Restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western fare
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
All villas are surrounded by palm trees or on stilts over the lagoon, making for a memorable stay.
- Free Upgarde from Half Board to All Inclusive! Book Now!
- Set on the tropical island of Dhuni Kolhu surrounded by warm waters of the Indian Ocean, and located only 30 minutes by sea plane from Male International Airport.
- Witness schools of dolphins playing in the azure waters or try fishing in the traditional Maldivian way while enjoying breath-taking sunset
- Find a state of relaxation with a variety of different treatments and massages created to indulge personal desires for well-being
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....