Key holiday destinations see a spike in shark ecotourism
Sharks are quickly becoming one of the greatest assets for tropical holiday destinations. Research from various universities and organizations have highlighted the potential that shark ecotourism holds with the industry having the potential of generating $780 million in revenue each year over the next 20 years. Destinations like the Maldives and Isla Mujeres are already reaping the benefits of shark eco tourism.
Research is opening up the eyes of the global tourism industry to the to the fact that sharks are more valuable alive than dead. In May 2013 research coming out of the University of British Columbia published a paper weighing the economic benefits of the shark fin trade against that of shark tourism.
The results of that study showed that while shark fisheries earned $630 million annually- a sum which has been declining over the past ten years, the relatively new shark eco tourism industry currently earns $314 million annually- a sum that is expected to balloon to a remarkable $780 million annually over the next 20 years.
Angelo Villagomez manager of the Pew Charitable Trusts' global shark conservation campaign noted:
"Sharks are fished because they have value in fisheries, but a lot of tropical island locations, especially holiday destinations, have found that they can get a lot more out of their resources with dive tourism".
Two such tropical holiday destinations that are already reaping the benefits of shark tourism are the Maldives and Isla Mujeres near Cancun Mexico.
Research from the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and the Maldives Whale Shark Research Programme (MWSRP) recently published in the peer reviewed journal PeerJ highlighted the extent to which the Maldives' tourism industry was dependent on shark ecotourism from the island nation's South Ari atoll.
The findings of that study showed that whale shark ecotourism accounted for nearly 50 per cent of tourism in the Maldives making $9.4 million last year with 77,000 travellers were enticed to book Maldives holidays in 2013 to see the whale sharks.
In Isla Mujeres, Ceviche Tours one tour company dedicated to sustainable shark tourism has started its very own annual Whale Shark Festival seven years ago. The event, held every July, offers visitors the opportunity to swim with the sharks but also seeks to educate attendees of the importance of shark conservation.
"Instead of selling a fish, if you bring people to snorkel with that fish, you can make a sustainable living off of the life of the animal."
Noted John Vater head of Ceviche Tours.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...