Cuba's majority of tourists continue to originate from Canada
The majority of visitors who visit the Caribbean island of Cuba originate from Canada, according to a report by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONE). More than 183,850 Canadian travellers visited the country in the first half of this year, a number that is lower than the same period in 2013.
A new report by Cuba's Statistics and Information Office (ONE) has revealed that the majority of foreign travellers who visit the country continue to originate from Canada.
During the first six months of 2014, more than 181,260 Canadians visited the island of Cuba, which was slightly less than the number during the same period in 2013.
While Canada remained at the top, it was followed by visitors from the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
The ONE report showed that from January to June this year, the island nation welcomed a total of 1,660,055 visitors, a slight increase compared to the same month last year.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and historic ruins and sites.
In Cuba's capital, Havana, visitors can soak up the city's and culture by exploring its historical sites and old decaying buildings; walking along winding cobbled streets and Malecon promenade; and mingling with the high-spirited local residents in bars and cafes.
Popular destinations in Cuba include the Jardines del Rey archipelago, Varadero with its white sandy coastline and luxury beachfront resorts, and Cayo Coco with its beautiful unspoilt landscapes.
In 2011, US President Obama eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for professional, cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Since the change in law, the communist island has received an influx of American travellers taking holidays in Cuba thanks to its close proximity to the United States and the country is a hotspot for celebrities.
Despite these changes it will take a little time before Americans take over from Canadians as the island's main tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...