Cuba's majority of tourists continue to originate from Canada
The majority of visitors who visit the Caribbean island of Cuba originate from Canada, according to a report by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONE). More than 183,850 Canadian travellers visited the country in the first half of this year, a number that is lower than the same period in 2013.
A new report by Cuba's Statistics and Information Office (ONE) has revealed that the majority of foreign travellers who visit the country continue to originate from Canada.
During the first six months of 2014, more than 181,260 Canadians visited the island of Cuba, which was slightly less than the number during the same period in 2013.
While Canada remained at the top, it was followed by visitors from the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
The ONE report showed that from January to June this year, the island nation welcomed a total of 1,660,055 visitors, a slight increase compared to the same month last year.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and historic ruins and sites.
In Cuba's capital, Havana, visitors can soak up the city's and culture by exploring its historical sites and old decaying buildings; walking along winding cobbled streets and Malecon promenade; and mingling with the high-spirited local residents in bars and cafes.
Popular destinations in Cuba include the Jardines del Rey archipelago, Varadero with its white sandy coastline and luxury beachfront resorts, and Cayo Coco with its beautiful unspoilt landscapes.
In 2011, US President Obama eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for professional, cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Since the change in law, the communist island has received an influx of American travellers taking holidays in Cuba thanks to its close proximity to the United States and the country is a hotspot for celebrities.
Despite these changes it will take a little time before Americans take over from Canadians as the island's main tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...