Cuba's majority of tourists continue to originate from Canada
The majority of visitors who visit the Caribbean island of Cuba originate from Canada, according to a report by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONE). More than 183,850 Canadian travellers visited the country in the first half of this year, a number that is lower than the same period in 2013.
A new report by Cuba's Statistics and Information Office (ONE) has revealed that the majority of foreign travellers who visit the country continue to originate from Canada.
During the first six months of 2014, more than 181,260 Canadians visited the island of Cuba, which was slightly less than the number during the same period in 2013.
While Canada remained at the top, it was followed by visitors from the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
The ONE report showed that from January to June this year, the island nation welcomed a total of 1,660,055 visitors, a slight increase compared to the same month last year.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and historic ruins and sites.
In Cuba's capital, Havana, visitors can soak up the city's and culture by exploring its historical sites and old decaying buildings; walking along winding cobbled streets and Malecon promenade; and mingling with the high-spirited local residents in bars and cafes.
Popular destinations in Cuba include the Jardines del Rey archipelago, Varadero with its white sandy coastline and luxury beachfront resorts, and Cayo Coco with its beautiful unspoilt landscapes.
In 2011, US President Obama eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for professional, cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Since the change in law, the communist island has received an influx of American travellers taking holidays in Cuba thanks to its close proximity to the United States and the country is a hotspot for celebrities.
Despite these changes it will take a little time before Americans take over from Canadians as the island's main tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...