Cuba's majority of tourists continue to originate from Canada
The majority of visitors who visit the Caribbean island of Cuba originate from Canada, according to a report by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONE). More than 183,850 Canadian travellers visited the country in the first half of this year, a number that is lower than the same period in 2013.
A new report by Cuba's Statistics and Information Office (ONE) has revealed that the majority of foreign travellers who visit the country continue to originate from Canada.
During the first six months of 2014, more than 181,260 Canadians visited the island of Cuba, which was slightly less than the number during the same period in 2013.
While Canada remained at the top, it was followed by visitors from the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
The ONE report showed that from January to June this year, the island nation welcomed a total of 1,660,055 visitors, a slight increase compared to the same month last year.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and historic ruins and sites.
In Cuba's capital, Havana, visitors can soak up the city's and culture by exploring its historical sites and old decaying buildings; walking along winding cobbled streets and Malecon promenade; and mingling with the high-spirited local residents in bars and cafes.
Popular destinations in Cuba include the Jardines del Rey archipelago, Varadero with its white sandy coastline and luxury beachfront resorts, and Cayo Coco with its beautiful unspoilt landscapes.
In 2011, US President Obama eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for professional, cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Since the change in law, the communist island has received an influx of American travellers taking holidays in Cuba thanks to its close proximity to the United States and the country is a hotspot for celebrities.
Despite these changes it will take a little time before Americans take over from Canadians as the island's main tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...