Cuba's majority of tourists continue to originate from Canada
The majority of visitors who visit the Caribbean island of Cuba originate from Canada, according to a report by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONE). More than 183,850 Canadian travellers visited the country in the first half of this year, a number that is lower than the same period in 2013.
A new report by Cuba's Statistics and Information Office (ONE) has revealed that the majority of foreign travellers who visit the country continue to originate from Canada.
During the first six months of 2014, more than 181,260 Canadians visited the island of Cuba, which was slightly less than the number during the same period in 2013.
While Canada remained at the top, it was followed by visitors from the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
The ONE report showed that from January to June this year, the island nation welcomed a total of 1,660,055 visitors, a slight increase compared to the same month last year.
The Caribbean island is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and historic ruins and sites.
In Cuba's capital, Havana, visitors can soak up the city's and culture by exploring its historical sites and old decaying buildings; walking along winding cobbled streets and Malecon promenade; and mingling with the high-spirited local residents in bars and cafes.
Popular destinations in Cuba include the Jardines del Rey archipelago, Varadero with its white sandy coastline and luxury beachfront resorts, and Cayo Coco with its beautiful unspoilt landscapes.
In 2011, US President Obama eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for professional, cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Since the change in law, the communist island has received an influx of American travellers taking holidays in Cuba thanks to its close proximity to the United States and the country is a hotspot for celebrities.
Despite these changes it will take a little time before Americans take over from Canadians as the island's main tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...